• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your beater Holy Grail !

672 posts in this topic

Stunner of a Superman #14! 893applaud-thumb.gif

That's one book I'd really love to own, and tape or even minor to medium restoration wouldn't keep me up at night. With the heavy blacks and rich colors, you want the cover to look sharp, and the copies in my price range usually look awful...I'm not a fan of restoration in general, but for a #14 with nice eye appeal I'd have no problem with it.

Got this book about 10 yrs ago. Has lots of tape and foxing with near white pages. Have lots more early Batman beaters if anyone wants to see.

Nice. thumbsup2.gif

By all means, post away.

Great books! Any pre-Robin Batman's are holy grails in my book. Post away...!

I agree. Post more. It is great to see thee. They may be LG but you have an eye for good LG! thumbsup2.gif

Yep, Tec 38 was a turn for the worse. mad.gif

I agree. Post more. It is great to see thee. They may be LG but you have an eye for good LG! thumbsup2.gif

Alright. Let's not go there AGAIN. smirk.gif

27_laughing.gif You know me well.

27_laughing.gif You know me well.

....but he DOES have a point! devil.gif

(insert "Robin-corner-shock" graemlin here.)

Got this book about 10 yrs ago. Has lots of tape and foxing with near white pages. Have lots more early Batman beaters if anyone wants to see. File0009.jpg[/img]

Bravo! 893applaud-thumb.gif Any early Batman Detective is great but this one I find especially cool. I don't think I've ever even seen an actual #29 cover before (i.e. as opposed to tiny reproductions of the cover). #27 and #31 rightfully get most of the attention, but I love this cover...so spooky, and so evocative of the pre-Robin stories. How many copies of #29 do you suppose actually exist?

I have been collecting since the late 70's and before the internet changed our hobby I have seen only two copies of the Detective # 29. The last 7 or 8 yrs I have seen an additional 5 or 6 copies. I think it is scarcer than the Detective # 31 but not by much. Given the choice between the # 29 and # 31 in exactly the same grade I would go with the # 29. There probably are only less than 35 copies of the # 29 known to exist. Just my guess! Here is my copy of the Detective # 31, not a beater but still in low grade. Pages are cream to off-white, with no other CGC comments. Graded at 3.0 What is interesting however CGC comments " Bob Kane & Jerry Robinson cover". I met Jerry Robinson at the Paradise Comic Book Convention in Toronto in May and showed him this book, I asked him what part of the cover did he help do? He replied it's only a Kane cover and it was just after this issue that he started working with Kane and Bill Finger. File0026.jpg[/img]