• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your beater Holy Grail !

672 posts in this topic

Great thread paull thumbsup2.gifGives me the opportunity to view and post some nice low grade books that otherwise may never have been seen.

Wow nice tec 140 Bat-Hound. What did you pay for it?

Ok so my next post is not a grail, but it gets an honorable mention. I saw this cover for the first time ever on an ebay auction. I had to have it. It cost me about $90. Very nice book...

Except for the rat chew by the DC logo.

Its a shame because its in such nice shape, otherwise. Now when I take it out its box, i cant stop staring at the disgusting gnaw marks.

Still a great cover.

detective93mycopy.jpg

Yet another book I was able to get on the "El Cheapo".

By now you may be noticing that this is a running theme in my collection...

Picked it up for a song on Ebay. Centerfold loose, cover barely attached at the top staple, split most of the spine, and a nice tear across the middle left of the cover.

But once again, it looks great in the plastic holder!

This thread is perfect for me.

Maybe tomorrow I will upload my Cap 2 beater. That one was actually expensive.

Elvis

detective43mycopy.jpg

Great book, and I like collecting expensive books that way too, Elvis! I would never be able to afford some of the books I have in even Fine condition, much less NM.

I'm totally fine with beaters, myself. However, it has to be a book that I consider to be some kind of key. There' s a price point I won't cross, which is probably a lot less than some of the collectors here, but I'm still able to pick up some great books in low grade that I'm proud to have.

Yet another book I was able to get on the "El Cheapo".

By now you may be noticing that this is a running theme in my collection...

Picked it up for a song on Ebay. Centerfold loose, cover barely attached at the top staple, split most of the spine, and a nice tear across the middle left of the cover.

But once again, it looks great in the plastic holder!

This thread is perfect for me.

Maybe tomorrow I will upload my Cap 2 beater. That one was actually expensive.

Elvis

detective43mycopy.jpg

Nice book Elvis, looks like page quality is good 893applaud-thumb.gif Would like to see the Cap # 2. I paid something like $200.00 for the Tec # 140 along with a Bat # 8 in the mid 80's. The Bat # 8 has tape mending a torn cover with water damage. File0120.jpg[/img]

I paid something like $200.00 for the Tec # 140 along with a Bat # 8 in the mid 80's. The Bat # 8 has tape mending a torn cover with water damage. File0120.jpg[/img]

Oh I just love that book. It looks great. Especially when you got a good deal on the Bat 8 and Tec 140 combo!. Bat 8 looks like it may be a restoration candidate.

Very nice pickup.

Elvis

Would like to see the Cap # 2.

Any excuse to display my Cap 2:

Cover detatched, 1 inch spine split, slight tear by the "45", Dust shadow on top, married cover to interior, Otherwise very nice!

Definitely going to have it restored. Paid about $900.

captainamericacomics2mycopy.jpg

captainamerica2interior.jpg

Cover detatched, 1 inch spine split, slight tear by the "45", Dust shadow on top, married cover to interior, Otherwise very nice!

Your book would be improved with restoration, however there seems to be no major damage:ie tape. pieces out, major color touch. This book is so scarce it would be highly desirable just the way it is. Unless the back cover is damaged I would just leave it alone even with the married cover. 893applaud-thumb.gifFile0119.jpg[/img] The Bat # 8 wouldn't justify the expence for restoration same with the Tec # 39.

Cap 2 looks great...and speaking of marrying covers to the interiors, I picked this up at Dragon Con about 10 years ago. It has the big spine tear, and siamese page damage to several interior pages. Incredibly, I was able to buy a copy on ebay missing the front cover but with a VF/NM interior and nice white pages. Is there a marriage it this book's future? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

startling49.jpg

Is there a marriage it this book's future? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

startling49.jpg

I am surprised you havent consumated that marriage already!!!! Its a beautiful couple...

Excellent Schomburg cover. Keep em coming...

Elvis

Here's a book that I likely will never upgrade. Mistery Mistery #12 with a classic Bernard Baily cover.... one of the nastiest ever created in comics, and a book that I had wanted for a long time. When I started buying pre-code horror, this is one of the few books I knew I had to have. This copy is a Good, not too far from beater but still has both staples attached. I doubt that I could afford an upgrade. I imagine that a VG+ copy of this book would probably go for between $500 - $750. I don't see these come up for sale often and don't remember the last time I saw one at a show in any grade.

875290-img178.jpg

875290-img178.jpg.a96dcb05aca41ba1f62d41a0bb001173.jpg

Holy Carp!!! That's a great purchase! thumbsup2.gif