• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your beater Holy Grail !

672 posts in this topic

I have been collecting since the late 70's and before the internet changed our hobby I have seen only two copies of the Detective # 29. The last 7 or 8 yrs I have seen an additional 5 or 6 copies. I think it is scarcer than the Detective # 31 but not by much. Given the choice between the # 29 and # 31 in exactly the same grade I would go with the # 29. There probably are only less than 35 copies of the # 29 known to exist. Just my guess! Here is my copy of the Detective # 31, not a beater but still in low grade. Pages are cream to off-white, with no other CGC comments. Graded at 3.0 What is interesting however CGC comments " Bob Kane & Jerry Robinson cover". I met Jerry Robinson at the Paradise Comic Book Convention in Toronto in May and showed him this book, I asked him what part of the cover did he help do? He replied it's only a Kane cover and it was just after this issue that he started working with Kane and Bill Finger.

Wow! Great stuff Bat-Hound. Killer #31 you have there!

And thanks for the info on how many copies of #29 still exist (er, not that it will apply to me...)

That sure is interesting about Jerry Robinson denying involvement in the cover for #31. (Although it's still highly possible that it was Kane plus someone else, right?)

Jerry Robbinson from what I have heard has the outmost integrity and honesty especially when talking about where credit is due ie: cover art, interior art, character creations. His panel discussion was interesting and talked about Bob Kane highly, however he claims to this day that Bill Finger co-created Batman with Kane. Kane got the credit because he was the primary artist while Bill was involved with the writing. Probably Kane did do the Det # 31 cover solo, only later there was help but no actual credit recognition except for Kanes signature. Who knows?? Here is another beater: Tape stains, cover and some pages loose but complete acclaim.gifFile0034.jpg[/img]

Jerry Robbinson from what I have heard has the outmost integrity and honesty especially when talking about where credit is due ie: cover art, interior art, character creations. His panel discussion was interesting and talked about Bob Kane highly, however he claims to this day that Bill Finger co-created Batman with Kane. Kane got the credit because he was the primary artist while Bill was involved with the writing. Probably Kane did do the Det # 31 cover solo, only later there was help but no actual credit recognition except for Kanes signature. Who knows?? Here is another beater: Tape stains, cover and some pages loose but complete acclaim.gifFile0034.jpg[/img]

Another hail.gif

Got this book about 10 yrs ago. Has lots of tape and foxing with near white pages. Have lots more early Batman beaters if anyone wants to see. File0009.jpg[/img]

Great book. I'd love to find a low grade copy myself some day. A few questions:

(1) Can anything be done to reduce the foxing on a book? (2) I see you've had the book 10 years. Has the condition worsened since you've owned it?

Keep posting, you have some incredible books there. thumbsup2.gif

Got this book about 10 yrs ago. Has lots of tape and foxing with near white pages. Have lots more early Batman beaters if anyone wants to see. File0009.jpg[/img]

Great book. I'd love to find a low grade copy myself some day. A few questions:

(1) Can anything be done to reduce the foxing on a book? (2) I see you've had the book 10 years. Has the condition worsened since you've owned it?

Keep posting, you have some incredible books there. thumbsup2.gif

Great questions! When I first acquired the Det # 29 I was more worried about the amount of tape on the spine. It seems it's the real sticky kind that when left alone, will over time destroy the paper. As far as the foxing, I believe it is non active mold therefore in a strict humidity temperature controlled environment would not further hurt the book. So far so good, I havn't noticed any deterioration, in fact it still has very whitish pages. I once inquired about the foxing being removed and at that time was told little could be done.

Wow, great stuff Bat-Hound.

Do you own any pre-Batman Detective Comics?

No I don't own any pre-Batman Detectives, but I will add one more pre-Robin Detective. This one has some pieces missing and spine splits, It graded out at 2.5 cream/off-white pages. Still glossy!! headbang.gifFile0032.jpg[/img]

This one is a beater, but is one of my favourites: The top and bottom spine corners have rat or insect chews that go through the entire book! Funny thing is the corners of the cover itself have not been affected! 893whatthe.gifFile0020.jpg[/img]

This one is a beater, but is one of my favourites: The top and bottom spine corners have rat or insect chews that go through the entire book! Funny thing is the corners of the cover itself have not been affected! 893whatthe.gifFile0020.jpg[/img]

hail.gif

I love the Batman story in World's Best #1.

Here is a good one for this board. I took a chance on a newbie ebay seller who had no pic and picked up a superman 14 cover with no interior. Turned out to be semi decent (but someone had folded it into 3rds long ago so it had 3 creases across).A year or so later, superman 14 coverless showed up on ebay.

Married the two...

Total paid: $80.

Displays great and its complete but the cover is not attached to the interior.

superman14lite.jpg