• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your beater Holy Grail !

672 posts in this topic

Great book Durden08 thumbsup2.gif

Love those early Actions.....and it's a Shuster cover !!.

Elvis....that's a great Supes #14 for $80.00,, I'm jealous, I want a Supes #14... maybe someday...

Action17b.jpg

Great deal on that Superman #14. Here's my 2.5 copy of Action #17. One of my favorite covers.

Wow, what a classic cover. Displays great. I love those old Actions that have dates on top from the 30's. So cool. This cover has it all! Nice one!!!!

Here is a good one for this board. I took a chance on a newbie ebay seller who had no pic and picked up a superman 14 cover with no interior. Turned out to be semi decent (but someone had folded it into 3rds long ago so it had 3 creases across).A year or so later, superman 14 coverless showed up on ebay.

Married the two...

Total paid: $80.

Displays great and its complete but the cover is not attached to the interior.

superman14lite.jpg

Your book shows well. It just shows with a little patience you can put a reasonable looking book together at a low price! 893applaud-thumb.gifAll I need now is to find a nice cover for this: File0037.jpg[/img]

Thanks again for starting this whole thread, paull. Lots of great books here the last few days. This is the place to be!

There's something quite nice about seeing a beater/reader copy of a rare grail on these boards...for instance, I see polished reproductions of the original Detective #31 cover all the time, or even an occasional high-grade copy, but Bat-Hound's #31 visibly looks like an old COMIC BOOK that was read and enjoyed years ago. Very cool.

I much agree with you Durden08 about the early Superman covers too (though I'm drooling over the Superman #14!). So many great artists in those early years, but I always come back to Joe Shuster's covers...so powerful, and yet such an early-GA "innocence" to them too. Any more very early Shuster Action or Superman beaters out there? Show 'em if you got 'em! cool.gif

Any more very early Shuster Action or Superman beaters out there? Show 'em if you got 'em! cool.gif

I posted this earlier in the thread but it has become relevant again. No back cover and beat up interior but it displays so much better than its actual grade...

action23.gif

The colors on that BATMAN #5 are really bright. Not bad for a half cover book!

My Bat 5 is about a G/VG, but it does have some amatuer resto, so I guess it does qualify as a beater in some respects.

scan00037ws.jpg

This one qualifies as close to beater... Young Men #24 with a couple missing corners and tape on the spine. Goes well with the detached cover Cap #74, so I don't have any desire to upgrade.

I bought this about 8 years ago when the pre-code and Atlas hero craze happened and surely overpaid for it. At the time, the book was pretty tough to find.

871552-img176.jpg

871552-img176.jpg.71b1a4fdfb192e36602f46f0ac40834f.jpg

This one qualifies as close to beater... Young Men #24 with a couple missing corners and tape on the spine. Goes well with the detached cover Cap #74, so I don't have any desire to upgrade.

I bought this about 8 years ago when the pre-code and Atlas hero craze happened and surely overpaid for it. At the time, the book was pretty tough to find.

871552-img176.jpg

Another book worthy of hail.gif

My Bat 5 is about a G/VG, but it does have some amatuer resto, so I guess it does qualify as a beater in some respects.

scan00037ws.jpg

Nice book Doiby! Is that piece replacement near bottom right corner or massive color touch? Maybe you should submit to CGC and get a blue 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I'm going to submit this and get a qualified 27_laughing.gifFile0051.jpg[/img]

scan00037ws.jpg

Nice book Doiby! Is that piece replacement near bottom right corner or massive color touch? Maybe you should submit to CGC and get a blue 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I'm going to submit this and get a qualified 27_laughing.gifFile0051.jpg[/img]

It's a piece replacement down on the bottom right.

You're Batman #47 is very nice looking, even with the missing logo. I have a VG+ unrestored(I hope!).

Silver Surfer... are you asking if I want to sell the Young Men #24?

Probably not at this point. If you asked me a few months ago, I might have done it, but since I now have a Cap #74, I'm more inclined to keep it.