• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's more rewarding? Spec scores or Finds in the wild

55 posts in this topic

Sunday. Boredom. So here's something I'd like to hear from you about...

What gets you more psyched? Spec wins or finding keys in the wild?

Example; you bought 100 copies of new mutants 98 for cover back in the day and stored and forgot all about them until today 

or 

You went comic book hunting today and found a collection of high grade BA keys for a song (ala IH 181, GSXM 1 GL76 etc) 

Maybe you have your own stories to share about both examples and what made you happier between both?

Wild finds are always best.   I have never had any luck in comics, but I do collect other things that have paid off.  

I once bought a steamer trunk at a Goodwill.  They just put it out.  I opened the lid and it had a tattered label, but I could make out it was Louis Vuitton (I only know the name through my wife, and thought it may be worth something).  Anyway, I bought if for $10.  Wound up going to Louis Vuitton direct, and a curator verified it was a genuine LV trunk, through many pictures we sent, and he dated it around the late 1800's.   

Sold it for $1500 to a Manhattan interior decorator shop a few weeks later.  

I've never been the buy 100 copies of anything type so it's finds in the wild for me, like the two copies of Peanuts 1 (this one) I found for 'peanuts' :cloud9:

Edited by Jerkfro

I absolutely love finding gems in the wild, but I find it being more and more difficult now than ever before. I was fortunate enough to find great collections in the wild back in the day when they were more or less accessible, and established a nice stash, but nowadays I do more successful specs than finding books in the wild. I do well with Copper books, I spec'd on Spawn #1, Power Pack #1, Punisher (1st Solo), Lethal Protector and many many others when they were $1-5 books in NM condition. Some I graded and some I flipped when they hit the $20 mark. I also done very well with Moderns but with far less copies of each book 

So as much as I loooove finding tough books in the wild, realistically I do better now with specs

Finds in the wild and not necessarily about a key book or something of a monetary winfall; I might be rummaging through a dollar bin and come across an artist I'd never heard of but their style jumps out at me. Since it may not be a book that's in high demand, it affords me the pleasure of seeking out that artists run or other books I had no idea existed.

I have no idea what spec wins or anything means, but finding anything at all in the "wild" is far more exciting and better to me personally. It's no fun at all just finding anything I want online. I like just going hunting and being surprised what I find, digging through junk and antique shops, garage sales. But finding anything in the wild, at least what I am looking for, is almost impossible nowadays. The heyday for that for me was the late 80s and early 90s when I'd go out searching and come home with stacks of 40s and 50s comics, old pulps, old records. Now it's pretty impossible to find much of anything and anything pre 1970s especially.

Reminded me of this video, it's how I feel...

5 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

That would be incredible! 

It's a fantasy i sometimes engage in pulling out a bunch of 9.6 planet comics, sheena, EC, Batman ect and a 10.0 Green Giant #1.

-and 5 min after you take em inside it starts raining.

Edited by kav

6 minutes ago, kav said:

It's a fantasy i sometimes engage in pulling out a bunch of 9.6 planet comics, sheena, EC, Batman ect and a 10.0 Green Giant #1.

-and 5 min after you take em inside it starts raining.

And there's an an address on the box I go knock on the door and some old lady says oh yeah I got lots more for the garbage then i try to tell her that they are worth a lot and she says I dont give a rats a** about that sonny you take em if ya want em!!

58 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

The “find” is so much better than the “spec win”.  

You hit on a spec?  Nice. You’re not the only one.

A find?  You’re the “only one”.  

No comparison.

Not true. There are as many successful treasures found in the wild as there are successful spec wins. And going by the response in this thread only, probably more actually. I would even go the extent of saying that finding a key in the wild is probably a lot easier than investing in a smart spec. 

Remember, getting a spec right doesn't necessarily limit you to ONLY a 1$ bin modern book. It could be anything.