• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So The Voldy Topic is Closed
3 3

102 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The "masking" and profanity filters and censorship in general are such bull. This is a message board used by adults. The fact that our language is policed like we're grade schoolers is beyond ridiculous. I understand that it's not my playground so I don't get to make the rules, so I abide by them. But I still think they're dumb.

It's meant to be a family friendly site.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What the flock in hell are you talking about Mc K? :mad:

The shear weight of the statement speaks for itself.:acclaim:

6 minutes ago, Murphman13 said:
3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Some wally bags put a vote up to allow the D word once. It got pulled off by someone, alas Harrumph!.gif.884027e5b9cfcccbe3f6f8153f4edfcf.gif

Dung?

I didn't think it was that bad.

5 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

I'm torn. On the one hand, what you say makes some sense. We're all adults. However, as a person who does engage in profanity from time to time, I don't need to engage in profanity in order to converse with people so ultimately, I'm fine with the language filter. I find it very crude when some people cannot converse without throwing out profanity every other word or comedians, for instance, who think you need profanity in order to be funny. What I do think is silly is the censoring of the word, D i c k, because it messes up text when you're talking about comic creators named D i c k.  

I don't feel a NEED to engage in profanity as much as I NATURALLY engage in profanity, and find myself having to backtrack and delete words that come naturally from my fingers. I can certainly converse without using profanity (I have to hold down a 9 to 5 office job, after all) but I don't see the need to police adults on a message board when every other social media platform allows censorship-free speech. 

Not really a hill I'm looking to die on, mind you. There are certainly bigger issues with the world (and, indeed, with the boards) than this one, but it's just a particular bee in my bonnet.

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I disagree F For Fake. I think we should all behave politely and respectfully towards each other and never resort to base language. :) Does the F really stand for fake by the way?

What the flock in hell are you talking about Mc K? :mad:

The F is open to interpretation! 

As for being respectful towards each other, as long as the profanity in question isn't being directed AT the person, I don't think it's disrespectful. I don't believe in base language. I just believe in language. The notion that words can be considered inherently good or bad is absurd to me, but again, not looking to die on this hill. i don't care enough to make a big deal out of it, I was just running my mouth, albeit in a cleaner fashion than I might if we were speaking in person!

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

It's meant to be a family friendly site.

is there a age restriction on sign-ups? I've never checked. Curious that it's thought of as family friendly, when 99% of the users are old men. Oh well, my family may curse a bit more than others. We're still nice folks. :foryou:

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

The F is open to interpretation! 

As for being respectful towards each other, as long as the profanity in question isn't being directed AT the person, I don't think it's disrespectful. I don't believe in base language. I just believe in language. The notion that words can be considered inherently good or bad is absurd to me, but again, not looking to die on this hill. i don't care enough to make a big deal out of it, I was just running my mouth, albeit in a cleaner fashion than I might if we were speaking in person!

Run that (potty) mouth right off Triple-F!  

I ignore the "there's more important things" brigade. If you took that boring concept to the limit no one would ever complain about anything ever! Let's hear it for d ick!  :headbang:

The average family these days could potty mouth all us old men into abdication of the Boards, using phrases we could only mutter "what dat mean?".

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Is there a age restriction on sign-ups?

There can't be, Roy's a member.

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Used to be a minimum age. Not sure if that's changed.

Is there a maximum Roy? At 90 thousand posts you must be at least 152? 

20 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
25 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Is there a maximum Roy? At 90 thousand posts you must be at least 152? 

Roy is Dunedain.

No surprise there.

27 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

We had that GI Joe kid and the goof who tried to screw over Borock, but they're the only underage kids I remember being here.

18 hours ago, Larryw7 said:
18 hours ago, VintageComics said:

We had that GI Joe kid and the goof who tried to screw over Borock, but they're the only underage kids I remember being here.

1dkbsv.jpg