• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2018 Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 2
5 5

275 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I went 2.5 and 5.0.  Graded way too tight! If I add in the 2 pt GA bump I'd have gotten close?. Seriously though I'm grading too tight I will recalibrate for the next round.

My experience has shown me the next round will be ultra tight.

10 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I went 2.5 and 5.0.  Graded way too tight! If I add in the 2 pt GA bump I'd have gotten close?. Seriously though I'm grading too tight I will recalibrate for the next round.

hm 

5 hours ago, AJD said:

Wow, I thought I was being generous with 3.5 and 5.0.

Have to ask: Andy, was that Millie corner torn when the book was submitted?

There was a tear there, yes. 

Again, grading from a scan can never be truly accurate. You can get the approximate range, but you don’t get the “feel” of the book. 

Some books are tight, like this one is, some are limp. 

Looking at the pic in the CGC case, I can see if from a bit of a distance and get how it could be a 7.0. 

The scans tend to magnify the defects, but sometimes you want that. :shy: 

9 minutes ago, topcat54 said:

Went 4.0 on the WC and 6.5 on Millie :banana::banana::whee::whee:

yeah --- dancin' bananas meant no points for me this round.

Dancin' smiley meant one bull and one flame out for four points.

But it is hard not to view what emoticon he sends you after submitting grades-- even though it often turns out to be completely misleading

27 minutes ago, thirdgreenham said:

There was a tear there, yes. 

Again, grading from a scan can never be truly accurate. You can get the approximate range, but you don’t get the “feel” of the book. 

Some books are tight, like this one is, some are limp. 

Looking at the pic in the CGC case, I can see if from a bit of a distance and get how it could be a 7.0. 

The scans tend to magnify the defects, but sometimes you want that. :shy: 

My concern when grading the Millie is that the tear might have been determined to be a production tear, and maybe the book was given a pass or wasn't dinged quite as hard for it. Is that a possibility? It almost looks like a Marvel-chipping-type tear. (Timely chipping?)

I also capped it at 5.5/6.0 as there appeared to be a small stain running parallel to Millie's red dress. Andy, is there a stain there, or did you set your latte on the case before scanning?  :D

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Has anyone posted round 3?

I don't want to miss it .... I know round 3 is over Friday at 10pm Eastern, correct?

Correct.

when I see the results thread up, I can post round 3. 

Round will end Friday night at 10:00 PM EDT, so not quite 48 hours.