• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any experts on Spire Christian Comics out there?
1 1

56 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2022 at 10:59 PM, jcjames said:

Not familiar with this series at all! 

this blows my mind frankly.  jack chick cartoon tracts have been left everywhere and I have been finding them since I was a kid.

On 8/27/2022 at 12:38 AM, kav said:

I have every jack chick book.  there are a lot of 'em.  stack about 10" high.
@jcjames-your thoughts on jack chick?  Russian teens love 'em btw.

I have a full run of the regular size comics.Never collected the mini's though.But like you said,I found them everywhere.

On 8/27/2022 at 1:09 PM, Toz said:

I have a full run of the regular size comics.Never collected the mini's though.But like you said,I found them everywhere.

the minis are the best. (thats what she said)

On 8/27/2022 at 2:44 PM, kav said:

mail.gif

Retail by Jack T. Chick (Trade Paperback) for sale online | eBayChick.com: Here He Comes!

Dude, don't leave me in suspense. Was Damien able to grab the steering wheel and save himself? Where did the other two evaporate to? Did Thanos do that snap thing or did Jeebus do it?

On 8/27/2022 at 12:02 PM, kav said:

this blows my mind frankly.  jack chick cartoon tracts have been left everywhere and I have been finding them since I was a kid.

I remember getting those as a kid. The ones I received were about revelation and people getting their heads chopped off. Pretty scary stuff for a nine-year old.

Edited by mysterymachine

On 8/28/2022 at 9:50 AM, Dave2739 said:

Dude, don't leave me in suspense. Was Damien able to grab the steering wheel and save himself? Where did the other two evaporate to? Did Thanos do that snap thing or did Jeebus do it?

damien was toast.  the other 2 got sucked up by god.

On 8/27/2022 at 1:09 PM, Toz said:

One of those Crusader comics towards the end I'm a little surprised isn't more controversial, but they're all rippin' yarns. 

I have a full set of the then current editions of the comic books I bought from the Chick website about 20 years ago, It was a little jarring to see them in perfect condition. Prior to that, I'd collected a near set of original printings wherever and in whatever shape I could find them.

The actual artist on most of the comics was Fred Carter, a terrific illustrator who passed away this May at age 83.

Jack Chick got his very own personalized edition of "This Was Your Life!", in October of 2016, at the age of 92.

On 8/28/2022 at 9:50 AM, Dave2739 said:

You can't save yourself. Thats the whole point of these tracts.  I bought a distributors pack of these a few years ago. I forget the details but I got a few hundred at a ridiculous price, right from the publisher themselves.  They were brutal to read.  I only read about a dozen before my mind was turning to mush. 

I think they're a great read. I also think most of what they put out is hogwash. Alberto Rivera, the guy who was responsible for some of the crazier conspiracy theories, was exposed as a con artist and fraud in Christianity Today. The tracts are detestable, but that's their appeal. I just hope people don't get their ideas about Christianity or religion in general from this stuff. It's poison in the wrong hands.

On 8/31/2022 at 1:50 AM, Larryw7 said:

I think they're a great read. I also think most of what they put out is hogwash. Alberto Rivera, the guy who was responsible for some of the crazier conspiracy theories, was exposed as a con artist and fraud in Christianity Today. The tracts are detestable, but that's their appeal. I just hope people don't get their ideas about Christianity or religion in general from this stuff. It's poison in the wrong hands.

That's the beauty of that particular con game, though. Anyone who believes that Alberto was some sort of one-man crusade versus the multi-tiered forces of evil in the world would insist that any publication "revealing" him as anything other than that is simply part of the larger conspiracy. It's tried and true and works in many different ways, to this day.

On 8/31/2022 at 6:50 PM, Larryw7 said:

They're bugf*ck crazy, and end up making 'evil' look rational and reasonable in 90% of the situations, at least in the ones I've read. I've never seen them handed out over here. Only time I've ever seen one in person was someone had photocopied one and stuck it to a traffic pole, so that crossing pedestrians would get stuck there and have to read it while they waited, in theory. It was ripped down just a few days later. 

On 6/21/2018 at 1:09 PM, jools&jim said:

It's (obviously) a paperback collection of b&w reprints of biographical stories originally published in color, and in comic book format, under the Spire imprint of the Fleming H. Revell company starting in the early 1970s.

My guess is that it's pretty scarce, and probably dates from 1975-1977 or so, given the 39-cent cover prices quoted for the comics themselves on the back cover. 

I've been collecting comics in paperback form (reprints and original stories) since the 1970s, and have never seen it.  Cool find...I'd buy it in heartbeat if I found one in the wild.

Btw...Spire--who put out the Christian-themed Archie comics, among many others--was NOT the "doom & gloom" publisher .  Shad is probably thinking of Jack Chick, whose material was MUCH more strident and dogmatic.

I tried to go and visit Jack Chick once to get him to sign some comics. He was out in Rancho Cacamungo if I recall. Serious paranoia.