• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney's acquisition of Fox now gets the Marvel band back together
1 1

54 posts in this topic

I think everyone needs to remember that they've already established an extremely cohesive and popular MCU, and that the X-men and other X properties as we know them are not part of it.  I think that mixing the X-men at large into the MCU isn't really worth it.  I think they should take their most profitable and viable x-properties (deadpool, gifted, legion), and move forward with those (and new mutants) in a separate universe.  Let the Xmen fade out for a while. 

So no more Xmen (for a while).

BUT Deadpool 3, Xforce movie or series, maybe a young Cable movie (if he's popular enough), maybe New Mutants 2 (or integrate with X-force).  Maybe an X-23 movie too.  But these should all wrap up in the next ten years, as Marvel wraps up its MCU storylines.

Meanwhile, you can add FF and Silver Surfer to the MCU fairly easily. 

Then after 10-12 years or so, you can start a WHOLE REBOOT of the ENTIRE MARVEL UNIVERSE, but start it with the Xmen (since they will have been 'done' for awhile.  Solo movies of Wolverine, Gambit, maybe Storm or Magneto would be cool.  Then you could boot up the Xmen or even Xfactor if you prefer (like a multiple man detective movie).   Lead into the space Xmen stuff.

Edited by revat

Quicksilver stand alone movie. Everyone seems to want this character in his own movie. Everyone I talk to does and I often ask complete strangers and they always say, "Quicksilver Stand Alone please."

Then a Scharlet Witch movie.

Then reboot Quicksilver movie.

A steve Ditko documentary. Then Reboot it, before first one even hits streaming and x box

Maybe the A-team somewhere.

Then all the writers go to school and learn that a screenplay has two plot points. Maybe Syd Field or William Goldman or Robert Towne becomes a member of the x men?

Make a movie with nothing but explosions and character turning with serious expressions to the camera. 

Reboot

Reboot

Commit Suicide

Reboot

Edited by NoMan

Just now, october said:
26 minutes ago, revat said:

Then after 10-12 years or so

Disney isn't going to pay 70 billion dollars for Fox assets so that they can shelve one of their biggest properties for a decade.

They're going to give us more of everything until we choke on it.

I agree, that's why I said in the meantime they should make money on Deadpool/Xforce (for about 10 years), which I think would sustain until the end of the MCU (which might get a Silver Surfer too).  Then after MCU and X-force ended, just start over completely in a new combined universe full reboot.

As much as Marvel values the IP, I don't they want to put four of their own Marvel movies per year.  Its a lot of over saturation.  SO they've gotta pull back and just do one 'X' movie per year at most.

This is a "good" problem for MCU...They basically have almost all of their toys back...The challenge will be incorporating the FF and X-Men into the current Marvel cinematic universe.  Marvel has gone to a lot of work to establish a continuity so I am sure they don't want to mess it all up now.  Those previous films, I would think, will remain "their own thing" or "forgotten" and will be re-introduced as Marvel Cinematic Universe properties.

I think the FF can be incorporated fairly easily with a slight tweaking. These are my (likely) terrible ideas...

Reed Richards is the recipient of a September Foundation grant which Tony introduced in Avengers II: Age of Ultron.  Using that grant, a young Reed Richards either builds a space ship or some sort of inter-dimensional travel device.  Reed ends up taking Ben, Sue and Johnny along for the ride. Something goes sideways and  boom, the FF are born. Victor Von Doom is around, perhaps a rival of Reeds but their first foe is not Doctor Doom.  Doom needs time to recover and be re-introduced in grand fashion to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 

...I am even going to suggest that their first enemy could be Mole Man and his army of Monsters...Yes, I said it. Make it a big fun spectacle and I think you could have a very fun FF movie.  

OR

You just have them show up out of nowhere in an end credit scene to another movie.  They just disappeared a long time ago (maybe before Tony became Iron Man) and have been  "lost in dimensional travel", trying to find their way back home. Anyway, they suddenly appear to warn us that "the Surfer (or Galactus) is coming"! That would create some buzz...

Their first movie could then be an origin movie...Basically repeat what how they have incorporated Captain Marvel into the MCU before the final Infinity War.

Incorporating the mutants into current continuity may be much more difficult considering that the word mutant has never been mentioned (I don't think) in the MCU.  Maybe they could pull something and say that they have been around forever but Xavier used Cerebro to wipe out any record of them and have been existing in secret for decades and with all the that went down in Infinity War decide to make themselves known to the world again? Or maybe the government did know and they (along with SHIELD) kept it under wraps but they were still out having adventures and battles? Regardless, I think incorporating the X-Men seamlessly will be a bit more of a challenge.

Anyway, it is fun to nerd out to think about how and what Feige and co. will do now that they have most of their properties back.  I think getting these properties back will definitely help keep the MCU "fresh" for a long time to come.  I just hope they make FF great again!

1 hour ago, I like pie said:

From everything I'm reading today, it looks pretty done(shrug)

It's not done. The DOJ approved the merger and won't block it on antitrust grounds, but Fox is still open to other bids. Apparently Comcast is looking for outside money help in topping Disney's number. 

18 hours ago, revat said:

I think everyone needs to remember that they've already established an extremely cohesive and popular MCU, and that the X-men and other X properties as we know them are not part of it.  I think that mixing the X-men at large into the MCU isn't really worth it.  I think they should take their most profitable and viable x-properties (deadpool, gifted, legion), and move forward with those (and new mutants) in a separate universe.  Let the Xmen fade out for a while. 

BUT Deadpool 3, Xforce movie or series, maybe a young Cable movie (if he's popular enough), maybe New Mutants 2 (or integrate with X-force).  Maybe an X-23 movie too.  But these should all wrap up in the next ten years, as Marvel wraps up its MCU storylines.

Agreed 100%. I see no reason to shoe-horn the X-Men into the MCU. There are too many characters to juggle as it is. Infinity War is going to be take movies to tell one story, and it still feels like the majority of the characters are short-changed on screen-time. Cramming the X-Men into the mix is a recipe for a cluster-.

However, I agree that the FF and Surfer could probably be integrated pretty smoothly...ten years or so down the line, once the stink of three failed FF movies has finally blown away.

Studios can only release so many movies a year, and there are only so many weekends and slots available to launch these mega-budget flicks. No matter what happens with this Fox/Disney merger, I don't see Marvel rushing to double their output just so they can get mutants involved. 

Edited by F For Fake

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Studios can only release so many movies a year, and there are only so many weekends and slots available to launch these mega-budget flicks. No matter what happens with this Fox/Disney merger, I don't see Marvel rushing to double their output just so they can get mutants involved. 

+1  I can't see Disney putting out too many more movies a year with the expansion in number of characters.  I believe the purchase is actually being considered on other grounds.  (Catalog for streaming, foreign broadcasters, and a stake in HULU.)  Reacquiring the X-Men and the Fantastic Four actually does very little for Disney.

7 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

+1  I can't see Disney putting out too many more movies a year with the expansion in number of characters.  I believe the purchase is actually being considered on other grounds.  (Catalog for streaming, foreign broadcasters, and a stake in HULU.)  Reacquiring the X-Men and the Fantastic Four actually does very little for Disney.

Precisely so! Disney is launching their own streaming service to compete with Netflix. This deal has much more to do with Fox's catalog + Fox's Hulu shares on that front, as well as shoring up Disney's flagging ESPN networks with Fox's regional sports networks, etc than anything else. The X-Men/FF thing is fun to debate, and will be a nice feather in Disney's cap, but it's not as central to the deal as most of us nerds want it to be.

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:
18 hours ago, revat said:

Agreed 100%. I see no reason to shoe-horn the X-Men into the MCU. There are too many characters to juggle as it is. Infinity War is going to be take movies to tell one story, and it still feels like the majority of the characters are short-changed on screen-time. Cramming the X-Men into the mix is a recipe for a cluster-.

However, I agree that the FF and Surfer could probably be integrated pretty smoothly...ten years or so down the line, once the stink of three failed FF movies has finally blown away.

actually what I would love to see are some short series (mini series?) sort of like British TV shows.  3-5 episodes about an hour-long+ like the british Sherlock shows or Agatha Christie mini's.  They can do those for Netflix or HBO or their own Disney Streaming or whatever. 

They could literally do Dr Strange in the same way Sherlock is done (even with the same lead).  Three episodes, with Strange trying to figure out three mystical mysteries with Wong, that Baron Mordo is the bad guy.

But if they wanted to use the newer Fox properties and not spend sooooo much on effects, they should definitely do a X-Factor Detective Agency with Madrox, Layla, and a side of Strong Guy.

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

as well as shoring up Disney's flagging ESPN networks with Fox's regional sports networks, etc than anything else.

It's definitely not this. As part of the DOJ approval they will have to sell the Fox sports regional networks they acquire. 

8 minutes ago, october said:

It's definitely not this. As part of the DOJ approval they will have to sell the Fox sports regional networks they acquire. 

Well that's interesting to hear, because all of the early reports I read mentioned that as one of the major factors in the decision. Did that change once it came under DOJ scrutiny?

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Well that's interesting to hear, because all of the early reports I read mentioned that as one of the major factors in the decision. Did that change once it came under DOJ scrutiny?

Yeah. It was the one big condition of DOJ approval. They felt the merger would be anti-competitive in a lot of sports markets. 

2 minutes ago, october said:

Yeah. It was the one big condition of DOJ approval. They felt the merger would be anti-competitive in a lot of sports markets. 

Good to know. I hadn't kept up with it recently, but I know the sports deal was a big headline early on. Interesting that Disney still went after it so hard with that not being a factor anymore. I guess they're betting big on the streaming deal!

3 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

...I am even going to suggest that their first enemy could be Mole Man and his army of Monsters...Yes, I said it. Make it a big fun spectacle and I think you could have a very fun FF movie. 

I'm guessing we won't see Mole Man since Disney already gave us...THE UNDERMINER!!

Personally, I'd like to see the FF and X-Men introduced as alternate universes and have them all merged together via a Secret Wars storyline.

21 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Good to know. I hadn't kept up with it recently, but I know the sports deal was a big headline early on. Interesting that Disney still went after it so hard with that not being a factor anymore. I guess they're betting big on the streaming deal!

Disney's bid was placed before the DOJ's decision was finalized.  The agreement by Disney to sell the Fox sports packages was handed down yesterday or two days ago.  Of course, that doesn't mean negotiations haven't been going on for weeks and that Disney possibly knew the likelihood of having to sell off the Fox sports properties prior to placing their most recent bid.

3 hours ago, I like pie said:

From everything I'm reading today, it looks pretty done(shrug)

The Fox meeting won't be until July 10th.  Comcast or a third party has until then to submit a bid.