• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,724 posts in this topic

Ross is the guy for me. Byrne's MTU was brilliant and may be the most alluring, but like those before him, Ross adding to the evolution of Spidey's depiction. That can't be understated. Romita made the characters pretty and put a spit shine on them. Ross added NYC to the cast of characters, with his dedication and detail, as well as drew "maniacal" like nobody else. His JJJ, Green Goblin, etc, left no doubt of ferocity and threat. Ross also tweeked Spidey's physicality a bit. McFarlane went over-the-top with agility and contortions and I adored what he added.

The truth is that, taken out of historical context, most of the guys from the past are either underappreciated or one's vision skewed.

4 hours ago, Fred Chamberlain said:

Ross is the guy for me. Byrne's MTU was brilliant and may be the most alluring, but like those before him, Ross adding to the evolution of Spidey's depiction. That can't be understated. Romita made the characters pretty and put a spit shine on them. Ross added NYC to the cast of characters, with his dedication and detail, as well as drew "maniacal" like nobody else. His JJJ, Green Goblin, etc, left no doubt of ferocity and threat. Ross also tweeked Spidey's physicality a bit. McFarlane went over-the-top with agility and contortions and I adored what he added.

The truth is that, taken out of historical context, most of the guys from the past are either underappreciated or one's vision skewed.

Great points Fred, especially about the maniacal depictions by Ross.  

It's a shame Ross didn't live longer, as I think he would have finally received the accolades from the fans he deserved.  I think he would have been a rock star at conventions in the early 2000s.  

I met John Romita (and his wife, she was so nice) at a convention once, and it actually brought a tear to my eye, just to have the opportunity tp speak to him.  I would have probably been on the floor bawling like a baby had it been Ross.  (worship)

Ok Andruphiles (this is not a real word), let's test your knowledge of the villains Ross Andru drew during his Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel Team Up, and Giant-Size runs.   

Who can name all these baddies without looking them up?

Lou Russo over at comicartfans graciously allowed me to share his tribute (yes, he drew and inked this great piece) to Ross's work.

You can check out the answers on his gallery here.  https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1719283   He also links this thread, so turnabout is fair play, lol.

The person with the most correct gets the coveted Ross Andru Thread No Prize Award and as always, @Get Marwood & I 's half eaten twinkie from 1976, unless all that puzzle work has gotten him hungry.

My favorite is Dr. Octopus (see, I gave you the first one), because he has the spirit of his appearance in ASM 157-159, cherished issues from my youth.

Ross Andru tribute, Spider-Man, Mary Jane, Green Goblin, Lizard, Doc Ock, etc. by Lou Russo Comic Art

Edited by Spider-Variant

jameson- spider-slayer

kangaroo, morbius, green goblin, hammer head, doc oc, submariner, scorpion,jakal, , gwen stacy clone, , lizard, mindworm, that molten bronze guy, what looks to be jigsay, norman osborn, shocker, mysterio, rhino, taratula, spider-clone, scorpion, and admittedly missing a few that look familiar, and Dracula :banana: 

and I forgot the 2 obvious ones of kingpin and vulture doh!

maybe I should move on and give someone else a shot lol As I'll never be able to identify all, but there is also skate racer guy and the guy from #298 which is slipping my brain without looking it up lol 

White Tiger, Kangaroo, Willo-the-wisp, Man-Wolf, Photon, Kangaroo....

I can get about 95% without looking them up. 

Goblins look a bit girly don't they. 

2 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

The toughest ones are at the top, from the GS SM and MTU issues.  Some of these villains had forgettable names. 

I really like the way Lou laid this out. 

The ghost next to Dracula has me stumped. Thought Hammerhead ghost but he's already there hm

Just now, Spider-Variant said:

He's from GS3, but no idea the name.  I don't see the lady who conjured him though.

I can't remember the Willo-the-wisp bloke with the glasses' name either. 

Just now, Spider-Variant said:

You mean Dr. Jonas Harrow, if memory serves....

He created Hammerhead, the Kangaroo, and Will o the Wisp.

That was him.