• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

888 posts in this topic

The scuffs that show the most in my scans are at the bottom left boot in the Cho variant, there are more... but that's a place to start depending on how detailed a view you are receiving.

5 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

The scuffs that show the most in my scans are at the bottom left boot in the Cho variant, there are more... but that's a place to start depending on how detailed a view you are receiving.

Tbh I didn't notice any on mine.... I did look, but if they're there, they weren't that noticeable...  :foryou:

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Tbh I didn't notice any on mine.... I did look, but if they're there, they weren't that noticeable...  :foryou:

Mine were not noticeable either until I scanned them, and enhanced the image..now I know they are there. :sorry:

5 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Mine were not noticeable either until I scanned them, and enhanced the image..now I know they are there.

Ya I don't have a scanner.... :sorry:

I didn't see the one that made you disgusted, but it shouldn't hurt the book.... :foryou:

If it only shows up in scans, I'd take that over Newton rings..... still an issue though (thumbsu

Well the scratches shouldn't hurt the book, but since I can't scan, I probably don't see how unsightly they are...

I see Scuffs on the scans above, but as I'm on my phone, I almost mistook them for finger prints...

Edit: oh wait I see them on punishers right foot, odd that they'd only be in one place if it is to prevent Newton rings...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya I don't have a scanner.... :sorry:

I didn't see the one that made you disgusted, but it shouldn't hurt the book.... :foryou:

If it only shows up in scans, I'd take that over Newton rings..... still an issue though (thumbsu

I know it does not hurt the book inside, but it has plenty of both.. Unsightly.. :(

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:36 PM, nepatkm said:

Newton rings had never really bothered me in the past, as they seemed minimal, easily fixed, or weren’t a distraction to the book inside. Lately however the books I have received graded from July through August have been increasingly worse, and way more obnoxious than they had been in the past. Especially it seems on black covers.  I really hope they get this fixed soon, as it really is an unacceptable eyesore. 

C911F8C0-141C-44B1-8B7A-86ECB75DBCEC.jpeg

56C244D2-C5CC-4777-8259-77A55AB57064.jpeg

Ya that's "excessive"

8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well the scratches shouldn't hurt the book, but since I can't scan, I probably don't see how unsightly they are...

I see Scuffs on the scans above, but as I'm on my phone, I almost mistook them for finger prints...

Edit: oh wait I see them on punishers right foot, odd that they'd only be in one place if it is to prevent Newton rings...

At least the new ones don't have rings, thus gives me hope for my 15 book modern sub that is at quality control :foryou:

@nepatkm it's worth noting that Sep 4th was the day after labor day, when Brittany McManus was on the case to reduce Newton rings....

6 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Brittany McManus was taking reholders for free if you showed pics of excessive Newton rings. As my post above, I was trying to say there is hope :foryou:

She even refunded my shipping to cgc (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya that's "excessive"

At least the new ones don't have rings, thus gives me hope for my 15 book modern sub that is at quality control :foryou:

@nepatkm it's worth noting that Sep 4th was the day after labor day, when Brittany McManus was on the case to reduce Newton rings....

The scuffs are noticeable, but yeah not as bad as the Newton Rings.. And yes, I was amazed with no rings, but with a closer look you do see the scuffs, not a big deal to me as they are slight,  But still a distraction to the book itself. :gossip:

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Brittany McManus was taking reholders for free if you showed pics of excessive Newton rings. As my post above, I was trying to say there is hope :foryou:

She even refunded my shipping to cgc (thumbsu

Yeah, I know-- Thanks, I plan on dropping them off at a future show. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, nepatkm said:

The scuffs are noticeable, but yeah not as bad as the Newton Rings.. And yes, I was amazed with no rings, but with a closer look you do see the scuffs, not a big deal to me as they are slight,  But still a distraction to the book itself. :gossip:

Ya on punishers right foot? Odd who brings a razor into the slab room? lol

I can't imagine that is part of the process...

17 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya on punishers right foot? Odd who brings a razor into the slab room? lol

I can't imagine that is part of the process...

No these aren't that bad scuffed, also near punishers "crotch" in the Crain variant. almost same place on the slabs..

The razor looking action is on the other ones with the Newton rings that I quit scanning. I'll scan them another time, only photos of them were from my phone.

Edited by nepatkm
no scan yet

@nepatkm 

Thanks for posting in this thread the books done Sep 4th :)

it's a shame some reholders still need to happen, but there is hope (thumbsu

hopefully these scratches and scuffs don't be come a thing....

30 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@nepatkm 

Thanks for posting in this thread the books done Sep 4th :)

it's a shame some reholders still need to happen, but there is hope (thumbsu

hopefully these scratches and scuffs don't be come a thing....

Yeah the books with the biggest problems were graded on 7/30. There have been improvements. 

The main question I had posed, which may have been lost in our discussions is -

Do you think that scuffing the inside of the outer well stops the inner book casing from bonding with it, thus stopping the Newton rings?  (shrug)

I believe that is what is going on   @Get Marwood & I what do you think?

Edited by nepatkm
Question

1 minute ago, nepatkm said:

Yeah the books with the biggest problems were graded on 7/30. There have been improvements. 

The main question I had posed, which may have been lost in our discussions is Do you think that scuffing the inside of the outer casing stops the inner book casing from bonding with it, thus stopping the Newton rings?  (shrug)

I believe that is what is going on  

Ah I see, I edited a post where I addresses it though, but there tends to be the scuffs in the same spot and not enough across the board to prevent the rings...

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah I see, I edited a post where I addresses it though, but there tends to be the scuffs in the same spot and not enough across the board to prevent the rings...

I think they found the spots to scuff. No rings on the Punisher #1’s. ( graded 9/4) They look fantastic, until you see the scuff marks. :|

Edited by nepatkm
Grade date