• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

888 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

So they've solved the rings but the new issue is cross contamination with their taxidermy business?

Will this thread ever end!

363-2013930153530_540x360.jpg.e0fb5604675fe30622cd7d4484bb9b34.jpg

I can only imagine what terms you used in a google search to get that pic lol "entombed wabbit", "hare in a cgc slab", "taxidermy stuffed bunny because that's the way I like it uhuh/uhuh", "permanently affixed cottontail to plastic", "Gary's pet fuzzy bottoms", the possibilities are endless.... :foryou: 

giphy.gif

I haven't subbed anything since the advent of the new cases. While (clearly) newton rings are still an issue, whatever happened with the "creep engine" problem? Are books still showing up all wavy at the top, or did they fix that? I've got a couple I'd like to get slabbed for the personal collection, but am still wary. 

4 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I haven't subbed anything since the advent of the new cases. While (clearly) newton rings are still an issue, whatever happened with the "creep engine" problem? Are books still showing up all wavy at the top, or did they fix that? I've got a couple I'd like to get slabbed for the personal collection, but am still wary. 

I haven't noticed any with the creep engine in a long time, I assume they fixed it. 

As far as Newton rings, in this thread 3 weeks ago Brittany McManus said they implemented a fix. I sent in one for reholder and it came back fine, and then the 15 book sub that I got yesterday were good as well. 

Some had mentioned scratches inside the case, which I noticed a couple with them, and then there is the long squiggly hair in one of the slabs I got back.  :foryou:

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I haven't noticed any with the creep engine in a long time, I assume they fixed it. 

That slab design with the 'creep engine' was discontinued in June 2016.

What I have noticed is that an increasing amount of sellers are notating Newton Rings in their selling listings, both here on the CGC forum and on social media.

Thanks guys. Since the books are for me, not reselling, I can live with a few rings if need be. I just didn't want the book getting wavy and curved somewhere down the line.

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

As far as Newton rings, in this thread 3 weeks ago Brittany McManus said they implemented a fix. I sent in one for reholder and it came back fine, and then the 15 book sub that I got yesterday were good as well. 

I've been following this thread for the longest time now, and I don't recall Brittany M. ever saying that. After researching, the only reply on here that I find from Brittany M. is one where she replies to a comment about an account on September 10th. I have seen people relay information from her, such as to send her pictures of a slab to determine if the newton rings are "excessive", but that is the only comment that I can find from her on this thread. And, I believe the "fix" is to send it back in and they will reholder it. I'm just trying to get the facts straight here and if I am wrong, I'd appreciate being pointed to where and what was said.

7 minutes ago, s-dali said:

I've been following this thread for the longest time now, and I don't recall Brittany M. ever saying that. After researching, the only reply on here that I find from Brittany M. is one where she replies to a comment about an account on September 10th. I have seen people relay information from her, such as to send her pictures of a slab to determine if the newton rings are "excessive", but that is the only comment that I can find from her on this thread. And, I believe the "fix" is to send it back in and they will reholder it. I'm just trying to get the facts straight here and if I am wrong, I'd appreciate being pointed to where and what was said.

Read her whole post from CGC Comics on page 10-15 somewhere in there..... it says that they have 'researched and are trying something new' to paraphrase

On 8/31/2018 at 3:13 PM, CGC Comics said:

Thank you for your feedback.

The “rainbow effect” or “Newton rings” are a normal occurrence when two different plastics (which have different refractive indexes) are placed together. It’s what you sometimes see on a smartphone screen protector or on the edges of an LCD screen. 

The rainbow effect has been seen in CGC holders since our first-generation holder was introduced nearly 20 years ago. This is a result of the inner sleeve (which holds the book) contacting the hard-plastic outer shell; the two different plastics have different refractive indexes and that sometimes creates a rainbow effect when they come into contact. A minor rainbow effect has always been within our tolerance. If anyone feels that they have a book that exhibits an extreme rainbow effect, however, we encourage you to contact our Customer Service at submissions@cgccomics.com.

Behind the scenes, we are constantly working to improve the CGC holder. Most recently, we have made a slight modification to the inner dimensions of our standard holder to accommodate the increasing variety of comic book sizes and paper stocks. In our testing, this minor modification was also shown to reduce the presence of the rainbow effect for many books. We did not want to share our findings until our thorough testing was complete, and now that it is, we are pleased to report that these modified holders have been fully integrated into our encapsulation process with very positive results.

CGC continues to research enhancements to its holders, including ones that may further reduce the rainbow effect, and we will keep you updated with any noteworthy developments.

Thanks again.

Example of extreme rainbow effect:

saga.jpg

ghost rider.jpg

here it is again in bold and italic @s-dali

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

here it is again in bold and italic @s-dali

There was a slight descrepancy at the time that maybe the person wasn't from CGC. If you go back and look at page 15 it is now a hilighted name to signal it WAS a person from CGC.... @Get Marwood & I Are Not Dead @F For Fake

Behind the scenes, we are constantly working to improve the CGC holder. Most recently, we have made a slight modification to the inner dimensions of our standard holder to accommodate the increasing variety of comic book sizes and paper stocks. In our testing, this minor modification was also shown to reduce the presence of the rainbow effect for many books. We did not want to share our findings until our thorough testing was complete, and now that it is, we are pleased to report that these modified holders have been fully integrated into our encapsulation process with very positive results.

The full statement is posted above......this post

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

There was a slight descrepancy at the time that maybe the person wasn't from CGC. If you go back and look at page 15 it is now a hilighted name to signal it WAS a person from CGC

I believe that is where I got screwed up. It was not her normal account.

10 minutes ago, s-dali said:

@ADAMANTIUM Thank you!! I completely spaced on that one!! I appreciate you reposting it!

No Problem, I think a lot of people missed it or disregarded it at the time, I'm happy to repost :) 

So I tagged a few people  in that post to help spread the info a bit :wishluck: that it all goes smoothly from here on out, especially now that they have stated a fix...

I've got 4 coming back as we speak, 3 more sitting at 'verified', & 10 more on their way there. And I'm feeling pretty confident.

Normally, I print out the paper forms and write something like "Please no newton rings" on all the copies, but I see paper forms are a thing of the past now? They weren't available for this last submission.