• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?
6 6

Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable' ?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Are Newton Rings 'normal and acceptable'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (feel free to post any alternative views accordingly)
  2. 2. Should CGC withdraw from service any holders which create / are prone to create Newton Rings?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Are you satisfied with CGC's response to date to this issue?

• Yes
    • No

888 posts in this topic

The latest slabs that I’ve received have very, very minimal or no Newton rings, however the minor scuffing still inside. The scuffing, and rings are not that visible, unless you are looking for it.  Getting a lot better. :golfclap:

Edited by nepatkm

On 9/29/2018 at 1:54 AM, nepatkm said:

The latest slabs that I’ve received have very, very minimal or no Newton rings, however the minor scuffing still inside. The scuffing, and rings are not that visible, unless you are looking for it.  Getting a lot better. :golfclap:

It's great news for sure. I took my brand new car back to the showroom the other day as it had a full length crack in the windscreen when it was delivered. I got it back today and the crack is now only a few inches. I'm delighted. I had to pay the delivery fee, but great service overall I thought. 

Spoiler

:foryou: for you, nepatkm. Sorry 

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

It's great news for sure. I took my brand new car back to the showroom the other day as it had a full length crack in the windscreen when it was delivered. I got it back today and the crack is now only a few inches. I'm delighted. I had to pay the delivery fee, but great service overall I thought. 

Hide contents

:foryou: for you, nepatkm. Sorry 

Getting a lot better. is the key sentence. 

Still some work to be done for sure, but going from a broken window, to some scuffs under the wheel well would be an improvement right? hm

still some work to be done, but a lot better than what I had been receiving a couple of months ago. 

Spoiler

50E34E48-4071-4069-B230-1488161320AA.thumb.jpeg.8a0fb19b119fa7bfed8c90c69ea62c34.jpeg

Also my latest books received are not the ones I posted pointing out the scuff marks @Get Marwood & I Live! :foryou:

The newer batch were better than those also. 

Major improvements made, alas Still some fine tuning to be done. :wishluck:

Edited by nepatkm

7 hours ago, nepatkm said:

Also my latest books received are not the ones I posted pointing out the scuff marks @Get Marwood & I Live! :foryou:

The newer batch were better than those also. 

Major improvements made, alas Still some fine tuning to be done. :wishluck:

I was only playing nepatkm :)

I know things are improving. But I'm in the 'only total elimination will do' camp, which I think is a reasonable camp to be in if we're discussing a visual medium product. 

I see ring infested books posted elsewhere graded after the changes. So I still see submission as a gamble and I still see no concrete acceptance on CGCs part to fix and compensate those that are not happy with the product they paid for and waited a long time to receive.

When I see a statement from CGC saying "problem solved", evidenced by no rings from that point, I'll be satisfied. In the meantime, there should be a clear return / compensation position for those receiving faulty products. There isn't one, is there?

I got my book back from CGC today.  I had to tilt it to see 4 tiny newton rings on the front.  I didn't see any on the back.  There was multiple scratches on the outside of the inner mylar.  I would call them moderate scratches, not light.   The worst (deep) ones are more towards the top that don't show up in the pic but, you can make out some down lower.   The spot that looks like a fingerprint is actually scratches, too.  I am guessing they are from their procedure for getting rid of the newton rings.  I think there's still plenty of room for improvement, in that department.   

BA%2012%20009.jpg

9 minutes ago, brentdevil said:

Do they damage the book, in any way? I don't mind looking at them if it doesn't affect condition.

@CGC Comics

Please send all ringed slabs to brentdevil.

He doesn't mind them.

:grin:

9 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm still waiting for mine to be returned...

The wait to get your precious books back must be terrible Sharon. How do you do it? I think I'd go mad :insane:

3 hours ago, brentdevil said:

Do they damage the book, in any way? I don't mind looking at them if it doesn't affect condition.

And it's because of attitudes like this that help CGC justify not completely eliminating the rings. I'm not trying to single you out solely or be an a s s to you but we should all be demanding a higher standard from them and not just accepting the status quo. If we don't demand improvements, we will never get them. Perhaps CGC should start following the Lean tenet of Continuous Improvement. 

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

The wait to get your precious books back must be terrible Sharon. How do you do it? I think I'd go mad :insane:

It takes me a bit more to get "mad" Steve, but I'm not happy. If I make a mistake I fall over over myself to try to fix it quickly.

51 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

It takes me a bit more to get "mad" Steve, but I'm not happy. If I make a mistake I fall over over myself to try to fix it quickly.

Get mad Sharon. It's good for the soul :wink:

3-network.gif.7a9fb991581cbd2ed3752f1c183db80f.gif

2 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Arrived today. No newton rings. Zero. Zip. Nada. Beautiful in every way. Cept the grade coulda been higher. ;)

002.JPG

Any scratches?