• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miracleman
5 5

919 posts in this topic

I have the top UK CGC copy (9.6); I might even sell it at the right price :) . Note that Dez Skinn has even run out of UK copies now (and he did have a big stash of them at one time) so maybe getting harder to get hold of.

cool - can we see a scan please?

is it noted?

Well there is a story there, CGC missed it (even after being told twice) but I spotted it after grading and got them to correct it (not sure if they had already encapsulated at that point) before shipping so I do have the "U.K. Edition" noted on the left of the label. I might sell it as I have a few #1's now (including a CGC s/s signed by Garry Leach with a Blue certificate so also signed by Cat and Dean!).

Miracleman01cgc9.6UK-0005960015.jpg

lovely copy. Probably nicest we will see.

I now only have no.1 and no.23 in graded copies. My no.1 is a 9.8 double-cover :cloud9:

The UK edition has a striking yellow rear cover.

Was it distributed in British newsgaents? That's a really good question.

Certainly no.s 2 to 24 weren't.

Thanks (might have to keep it now!) I have a slightly worse copy (probably a 9.4) but the 9.6 is nice, maybe just the bottom left corner keeping it from 9.8 and it has the printing defect seen on the Gold and Blue certificated copies.

Maybe Dez remembers the print run (UK variant) and the distribution but I certainly don't recall seeing any in the Newsagents at the time; possibly worth a quick message to Dez on his eBay shop, he might reply.

I'll try and get a picture of the 9.6's rear end in the morning :)

I could easily see that book at 1K or even 2K but 5K?????

Hmmm - this is very interesting.

I think I've posted several times here but there are (or were) 6 known copies -

1 owned by D Wilson, a UK collector, no.92 /100

1 sold on eBay US in 2002 for around $150 (from memory, verified in 2009 by RockMyAmadeus on the CGC boards);

1 owned by Al Stoltz (reported in the article "MiracleMan 2-D Copy Discovered!" published in "Scoop" 15th February 2008);

1 owned by "ladines" on CGC boards "I believe mine is number 82 but don't have it on hand to confirm.";

1 owned by Michael S, no. 19/100

1 owned by "Chipmaker" no. ??/100 (photo's published 02/01/11 on CGC boards)

The graded copy is Chipmaker's - now identified as no.7/100

However, now being sold by Basement Comics... run by Al Stoltz?

So is this the same copy as the Scoop one? hm

If so that's just 5 - or even 4 as the 2002 copy is not fully confirmed or documented.

Would I pay $5,000+ ? no but I would've probably paid $1000-$2,000 nearly 10 years ago when this whole quest began.

I know now some of the original Marvelman books are even rarer.

It's a stunningly rare book but getting it graded at only a 9.0 impacts it's mystique and Michael's copy looks better. Also the ebay auction has blurd pictures. It would sell for more raw I reckon. But we'll see. Best of luck!

CGC's notification is a bit under-whelming as well. But at least they noticed!

Don't forget the Michigan State University Special Collections copy.

Michael already answered that one back in December in a different thread (he has contacts in quiet places):

The MSU Library copy is the regular 3-D version - it's just mislabeled as the 2-D copy

Edited by Neeidea

Hey George :hi:

There's a highest and only graded copy of the blue foil edition which is also a 9.0 so maybe the seller got confused with that one.

Would love to know where the other 98 2D's are hm

I would guess a large portion of the 100 copies were destroyed in the flood that destroyed most of Eclipse Comics' backstock in 1986.

hm

There's a highest and only graded copy of the blue foil edition which is also a 9.0 so maybe the seller got confused with that one.

I would guess a large portion of the 100 copies were destroyed in the flood that destroyed most of Eclipse Comics' backstock in 1986.

hm

guess I was wrong about the 2-D books going in the flood... :sorry:

Do you still have a bunch of these? I remember the story about you buying these from a dealer who didn't feel the need to pack them correctly. I managed to pick up a 2-D Black Belt Hamsters book, but it's still the only one I have.

hm

guess I was wrong about the 2-D books going in the flood... :sorry:

Do you still have a bunch of these? I remember the story about you buying these from a dealer who didn't feel the need to pack them correctly. I managed to pick up a 2-D Black Belt Hamsters book, but it's still the only one I have.

No, you're right - supposedly about half the print run of this particular book was destroyed.

what is a lot more scarce than is generaly appreciated is the British version of no.1 (different back cover, indicia and advert). This wasn't distributed in America.

I believe the UK edition print run was around 1,500 copies but this is a middle figure and could be out by a few hundred either way. Quite rare compared to the international edition and maybe one to collect!

The CL one has no reserve and starts at $1. Should be interesting to watch.

But I could put a reserve on it....

It's a difficult one to call. I would as a seller as the book is untested in the market... but as I potential buyer hm

It's a revalation that Cat Yronwode just wrote any number in there - i.e. "23" just because you'd asked.

the implicatons give me a headache

what is a lot more scarce than is generaly appreciated is the British version of no.1 (different back cover, indicia and advert). This wasn't distributed in America.

I believe the UK edition print run was around 1,500 copies but this is a middle figure and could be out by a few hundred either way. Quite rare compared to the international edition and maybe one to collect!

Where have you got that figure from pls? I'd really like to know this for definite.

1,500 seems on the low side considering how hyped the book was at the time. However, I know Titan imported a lot of the US versions at the time.

Very impressive. I'm pretty sure a couple of those are my ex-books. Or maybe I bought from him, can't quite recall. My no.12 9.9 went to the States.

Worth $14,000? I doubt it.

I decided to sell my 1-24 enhanced 9.8 largely book by book as I didn't think the market could afford to buy the whole run.

My no.12 9.9 went for £500 / $800

I reckon the no.15 9.9 would maybe hit $2,000 on it's own as the label is unique.

The Apocs are hard to get in 9.8, as is the A1 and Book 1.

It doesn't have a no.23 9.8 though... I still have the 1st and best ;)

The CL one has no reserve and starts at $1. Should be interesting to watch.

But I could put a reserve on it....

It's a difficult one to call. I would as a seller as the book is untested in the market... but as I potential buyer hm

It's a revalation that Cat Yronwode just wrote any number in there - i.e. "23" just because you'd asked.

the implicatons give me a headache

That's never how I thought of it. I assumed the copies were all already signed and numbered, and per my request cat simply riffled through the pile and pulled the one I asked for. But perhaps your interpretation is correct, which would be daunting.