• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2018 A Dealer's Perspective?
3 3

67 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Is John Wooley the one who did all of those cool comic auctions? I loved those. 

I think you may be mixing up John Wooley and attorney Eric Groves.  Before I got into doing SF art auctions in the 80's I recall Eric had been an impromptu comic auctioneer at many the regional 70's comic shows.  John Woolley went into the Navy in the 70's.  After leaving the service in the late 70's John turned to reporting, cult horror movie reviewing and writing pulp fiction ...40's style detective thrillers... somewhat in the vein of Joe Lansdale (Joe's an internationally successful Fiction writer with lots of film creds). Both Eric and John have been involved in OAF activities to this day.  Hope this helps! (thumbsu

Edited by Cat-Man_America

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

Got to post a photo at least for historical purposes...

Oklahoma Alliance of Fans founders (from left) John Wooley, David Smith and Bart Bush. Photo courtesy John Wooley. OKLAHOMA ALLIANCE OF FANS FOUNDERS (FROM LEFT) JOHN WOOLEY, DAVID SMITH AND BART BUSH.
PHOTO COURTESY JOHN WOOLEY.

lol Bart looks like a puppy. 

On 7/24/2018 at 10:30 AM, N e r V said:

Got to post a photo at least for historical purposes...

Oklahoma Alliance of Fans founders (from left) John Wooley, David Smith and Bart Bush. Photo courtesy John Wooley. OKLAHOMA ALLIANCE OF FANS FOUNDERS (FROM LEFT) JOHN WOOLEY, DAVID SMITH AND BART BUSH.
PHOTO COURTESY JOHN WOOLEY.

Is that a young Ritchie Evans on the far right?

On 7/24/2018 at 10:58 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Yep, that was intentional. The Oklahoma Alliance of Fans was founded in 1967. I joined while attending my first convention, HoustonCon in 1969, recruited by Robert A. Brown and Bart Bush.  Robert was a school teacher in Okla. City.  Bart was our OAFzine editor who hailed from Muskogee (my best recollection). I served as President of the club from mid-1970 to '71 while in college.  My home town at the time was Chickasha, Okla., about 50 miles SW of OKC. The OAFs monthly fanzine was initially produced via mimeograph, art produced by carbon copies.  Yeah, those were different times, being a comic fan in those days was very oaf-ish.

Multi-Con was part of a tri-city alliance to co-promote regional conventions sponsored by fan groups from Houston, Dallas and Okla. City. The first two conventions were in Dallas '68 (D-Con) and Houston '69 (HoustonCon).  The third was Multi-Con '70.  After that the alliance broke down as all three clubs wanted to maximize the increased interest in fan conventions by sponsoring their own annual summer shows.  Multi-Con couldn't maintain that schedule because of the limited volunteer base required to produce major annual shows without burn-out, but for awhile we produced conventions every other year, most notably Multi-Con '70 and Multi-Con '72 along with smaller Springcons and Wintercons.

D-Con was originally used as a springboard for a World Con '72 bid (World Science Fiction Con) which is a competition between cities not limited to the U.S., similar to sporting events like the Olympics.  Dallas ended up losing that bid, but produced some well attended shows that fueled other conventions in Dallas called D-Con, Dallas Fantasy Faire and the American Nostalgia Convention. HoustonCon expanded every year after 1970 by taking advantage of the huge interest in Star Trek in those years. HoustonCon/StarTrekcon grew into a five day convention with five tracks of film programming, panels, artshows, auctions, etc., that held up well into the mid-70's.

Okay, that was probably TMI, but what would you expect from an OAF! (thumbsu

I wouldn't have guessed that you were in college before I was born. Looking good for your age - must be all that beer you consume!

8 minutes ago, Superman2006 said:

I wouldn't have guessed that you were in college before I was born. Looking good for your age - must be all that beer you consume!

Among my jack-of-all-trades talents is that of an artist.  Rumor has it that in Casa del Gato, hanging in a dark closet, is a self-portrait that bears witness to my accumulated debauchery.  I would not contest this. :wink:

6 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Among my jack-of-all-trades talents is that of an artist.  Rumor has it that in Casa del Gato, hanging in a dark closet, is a self-portrait that bears witness to my accumulated debauchery.  I would not contest this. :wink:

Is that the one they based the Dorian Gray story on ? :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

35 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

As all stories must end, this is my final daft ...or rather draught... from San Diego 2018. Taken Tuesday by my celebrated spousal unit, this is the perfect parting shot... :grin:

IMG_2176_zpsmm5grurv.jpg

:tink:

How hard was it to get your head under those taps?