• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No, I don't have it anymore...

49 posts in this topic

I used to own this:

Swamphing53p40.jpg

I bought it directly from John Totleben in 1987 and it was on my office wall until 2000 when I was (1) unemployed and (2) had a baby on the way.

I instantly regretted selling it.

My assumption is that it would cost me 100x what I sold it for to get it back now.

Edited by FlyingDonut

12 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

I used to own this:

Swamphing53p40.jpg

I bought it directly from John Totleben in 1987 and it was on my office wall until 2000 when I was (1) unemployed and (2) had a baby on the way.

I instantly regretted selling it.

My assumption is that it would cost me 100x what I sold it for to get it back now.

what a wonderful page that is Dan. Yeah, I would also have instantly regretted selling it. I do hope it went to a good home.

The person who owns it now has a very attractive CAF gallery with a bunch of other Totleben pages, including several from Swamp Thing 53.

I believe this period of Swamp Things to be the best DCs of all time, so I'm glad that someone who appreciates it owns it. I have contacted the owner to ask him that if he ever goes to sell it he contact me first.

There are several books I sold right before I got back into collecting that I wish I had at least held on to -- FF 52 and ASM 31. Doubt I will ever own those again. Sort of wish I had not sold my Star Wars or Superman/Ali treasuries either. When I sold them, I was not thinking that my interest in comics would come back to me. It did but two months too late.

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

The person who owns it now has a very attractive CAF gallery with a bunch of other Totleben pages, including several from Swamp Thing 53.

I believe this period of Swamp Things to be the best DCs of all time, so I'm glad that someone who appreciates it owns it. I have contacted the owner to ask him that if he ever goes to sell it he contact me first.

Did you see what the ST #38 cover sold for? ($18,000)

I thought that was a "steal" compared to the MM #13 page (also $18,000)

In the late 70's, I rode my bike down to Cliff's Book Store over on 'the bad part of town'. In my arm was a paper grocery bag full of back issues (many early Spideys and many early DDs - including #1). He bought them all for around $25. I was on top of the world having all that money in my pocket.

18 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's a great page, FD, as I've said before. I was amazed at the prices the Totleben MM pages got yesterday at HA.

And those pages - while awesome - are not from 15. The cover to 15 sold for $53K plus juice in 2010. What would it go for now? A bajillion dollars?

I made mistakes of liquidating my entire collection 2 times.   Once before I got married 16 years ago, trying to make space,and once a few years back to buy a classic car (still have the car).   Even though I never owned mega keys like many of you, it's a pain going back and even trying to piece together stuff I used to have (Iron Man #1, Cap #100, Silver Surfer #1, Luke Cage #1 etc.).  I keep hoping someday to stumble upon something significant at a yard sale or flea market, but those chances seem to diminish every passing month. 

Just now, FlyingDonut said:

And those pages - while awesome - are not from 15. The cover to 15 sold for $53K plus juice in 2010. What would it go for now? A bajillion dollars?

It's still not the $600 that John was asking for it in 1999 on his website.

:cry:

I think it's worth at least $20,000,000 now.

:D

On 8/3/2018 at 4:27 PM, NoMan said:

so what's the secret of just letting go? how to laugh about letting great books go cause you were in dire straights (a bad situation as opposed to being a member of the rock band) and needed the cash.

How to look forward without regret and not dwell in the past?

Thanks in advance

What did you use the cash for?

On 8/3/2018 at 5:27 PM, NoMan said:

so what's the secret of just letting go? how to laugh about letting great books go cause you were in dire straights (a bad situation as opposed to being a member of the rock band) and needed the cash.

How to look forward without regret and not dwell in the past?

Thanks in advance

I sold my entire Action run 5 years ago.  After selling the first 30 books, (#71 through #100)  It got real easy to let the earlier ones go.   I put all the money into a house, which I get way more enjoyment from, compared to the books.  No regrets here.  :smile:

22 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I sold my entire Action run 5 years ago.  After selling the first 30 books, (#71 through #100)  It got real easy to let the earlier ones go.   I put all the money into a house, which I get way more enjoyment from, compared to the books.  No regrets here.  :smile:

Glad that could you found an equal or in this case greater investment for enjoyment ;) AND the home already comes with a GREAT backstory ^^

Edited by ADAMANTIUM