• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA warehouse finds of the past
8 8

255 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I remember an old CBG talking about a warehouse find where Batman 1,2,3 were 3 deep each (may not have it quite right). May have been a John V ad. Am I just going senile or do you remember this find. 

That was a Jerry Weist find, IIRC. 

54 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I remember an old CBG talking about a warehouse find where Batman 1,2,3 were 3 deep each (may not have it quite right). May have been a John V ad. Am I just going senile or do you remember this find. 

Interesting, because I have a friend who is an old-timer in the hobby that knew of a used bookstore that was an early comic reseller who had multiples of 4, 5, 6, on up. It was a source for much speculation if there were equivalent multiples of 1, 2 and 3. Perhaps that's what Jerry found?

Buttock. do you know where those early issues were unearthed?

14 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Interesting, because I have a friend who is an old-timer in the hobby that knew of a used bookstore that was an early comic reseller who had multiples of 4, 5, 6, on up. It was a source for much speculation if there were equivalent multiples of 1, 2 and 3. Perhaps that's what Jerry found?

Buttock. do you know where those early issues were unearthed?

To my (very flawed) recollection I remember Million Year Picnic ads where he talked about a 3-deep cache of Batman 1-3 that he found.  I think they were in old OSPGs.  I'll see if I can find them some time.  

On 10/11/2018 at 7:32 PM, Sqeggs said:

Shock Illustrated 3 is such a swell book. 

Also tough is the CSS 15 (#1). I've seen the Shock 3 a few times, but it is still rare. My best friend Johnny (John Knight) has had them before. I will agree the toughest to me is the TOT 1, it is rarely offered for sale.

On 10/11/2018 at 8:40 PM, Larryw7 said:

The first issue of the Vault of Horror is all over eBay and it used to be pretty scarce. Someone must have found a stash of them somewhere.

I thought there were a few Gaines copies of VOH 12. Just checked the census and there are 54 universal copies certified.

On 11/25/2018 at 11:01 AM, Robot Man said:

Hey Redbeard...

Was there a quantity of these found?  Seems, I've seen a lot of high grade copies floating around...

comrolypoly12.jpg

Not as far as I know on that issue. However, there is one issue of that title that there must of been a find at one time.

What is the first horror comic book Bob? If you say Eerie 1 by Avon, you would be wrong. How about Classic Comics 13 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. That is definitely a horror comic book, and it was published approximately 4 years before Eerie 1. Then how about the Hunchback of Notre Dame, 3 Mysteries by Poe, and of course the classic Frankenstein. All were published before Eerie 1

3 hours ago, Redbeard said:

Not as far as I know on that issue. However, there is one issue of that title that there must of been a find at one time.

What is the first horror comic book Bob? If you say Eerie 1 by Avon, you would be wrong. How about Classic Comics 13 - Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde. That is definitely a horror comic book, and it was published approximately 4 years before Eerie 1. Then how about the Hunchback of Notre Dame, 3 Mysteries by Poe, and of course the classic Frankenstein. All were published before Eerie 1

I still go with Eerie #1. First book fully devoted to horror and all original stories. The Classics are adaptations of "actual literature" not created in the first place for comic books. Great books but still adaptations. 

There are also the arguments of earlier books that have stories with a horror "slant" Early Caps, Yellowjacket and others come to mind but they are still superhero books.

Just my two cents...

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

6 hours ago, Redbeard said:

I still go with Eerie #1. First book fully devoted to horror and all original stories. The Classics are adaptations of "actual literature" not created in the first place for comic books. Great books but still adaptations. 

There are also the arguments of earlier books that have stories with a horror "slant" Early Caps, Yellowjacket and others come to mind but they are still superhero books.

Just my two cents...

Agree with RM