• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC census is high, but there aren't enough keys
5 5

519 posts in this topic

I’m not sure I could come up with a good definition of who is a collector vs hoarder vs accumulator. Three cases.

I grew up in the middle of nowhere in the 50’s and 60’s. It was an hour’s drive to a town of 6,000 which was the largest town close to me. We’d only get there once a month and I’d spend a long time deciding which 10 comics I could get for my monthly allowance. (Especially when that sad day came and I could only get 8).  Those comics were kept in my bedroom, or out in a tree fort, so some suffered severely. Yet I did everything I could to find the issues I was missing. I consider myself a collector even though at the time condition wasn’t real important. (my Avengers 1 came back 4.0 slightly brittle and my JIM 83 came back 3,0 as an example, though my FF48 came back 9.4 white so I learned quickly)

Second my neighbor also read comics and had a huge pile in his bedroom.  He was willing to trade, and enjoyed the books, but I’d classify him as an accumulator, and once he hit his teen years the comics no longer mattered.

Third I have a friend now who collects comics and a lot of other things. To him condition isn’t important (His Amazing Fantasy 15 is heaped in a pail with the other Spider man issues, I shudder whenever I see it. But he enjoys his books, and has worked hard for years to get every appearance of Tracy and the Lone Ranger. I’d rank him as a collector even though keeping the books in pristine condition is not something he cares about.

2 hours ago, GrumpyGus said:

Classic strawman argument. Irrelevant.

The answer is no. Does that make me a collector then?

I have driven to my LCS once a week every week for 20 years to pick up my Pull List.. I order comics from Previews every month. I read all my comics before the next batch arrives, and I'm not a collector? lol I'm more of a collecter than the jackholes who flip through 20 copies looking for a 9.8, immediately put it in a Mylar4 and won't let the cashier touch them. That's "realistic".

Actually, what you are describing is OCD, especially when accompanied with intense need of anonymity.

Yes,  definitely the fellow Stu, IMHO. Doubling down is a giveaway. But (there is always a "but"), always entertaining, in a sophmoric pull my finger way. Sort of cute.

17 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Actually, what you are describing is OCD, especially when accompanied with intense need of anonymity.

Huh?  An anonymous poster criticising another anonymous poster?  Weird.

The only thing Grumpygus got wrong in his post was the type of logical fallacy to which he was responding.  

7 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Yes,  definitely the fellow Stu, IMHO. Doubling down is a giveaway. But (there is always a "but"), always entertaining, in a sophmoric pull my finger way. Sort of cute.

I'll wait for confirmation before reporting. If it's Stu, it won't be long in coming. If it's not...not a problem. 

16 minutes ago, GrumpyGus said:
2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

There continues to be bad faith, dishonest commentary in this discussion, so let me further clarify: accidental damage is not the same as neglect.

Accidental damage can happen to anyone. That's why it's called "accidental."

Damage that happens as the result of negligence, of purposeful neglect, demonstrates that the person doesn't care about the items they purport to be "collecting", and thus means they aren't collectors. Hoarders, accumulators, readers, whatever...but not collectors, and there's nothing "narrow" about that. It's the underpinning of the difference between a "collector" and a "hoarder", for example.

Did the cat pee damage occur because the comic was laying around where the cat could easily get to it...? 

Probably not a collector......

Frankly, that that is even in dispute is very odd.

It's in dispute because because you're wrong. Or to put it your way, you're probably not necessarily not not right.

Sooooo....there's no difference between accidental damage, and damage as the result of negligence...?

Interesting theory! 

(thumbsu

1 minute ago, GrumpyGus said:

No, I'd guess that 95% of comic collectors that say they have OCD don't have it, they're just too immature to label themselves anal retentive. It's how these people justify their purchases in their own mind. "It's not my fault I can't buy that book for $50 in 9.6, I only collect 9.8s so I have to buy that same book in 9.8 for $200. My OCD made me do it". Weak minded people.

Yup. It's Stu.

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sooooo....there's no difference between accidental damage, and damage as the result of negligence...?

Interesting theory! 

(thumbsu

How would you like me to explain this to you?  In common parlance, or in legal terms?  Let's go with common parlance.

Simply put, an "accident" is "an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury."  

Negligence is "failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another."

Accidents are often caused by negligence.  

It is negligent to fail to stop at a stop sign and will result in an accident if you hit another car.

You seem to believe that accidents cannot be caused by negligence.  That's usually wrong.  Acts of God causes are usually pretty rare.

lol^^

:bump::bump:

I am anonymous? Where the heck have you been sleeping the last 7+ years, and the 3+ years before that?

Goodness, that is the first time I have ever been described as anonymous. Thank you for the experience.

32 minutes ago, GrumpyGus said:

No, I'd guess that 95% of comic collectors that say they have OCD don't have it, they're just too immature to label themselves anal retentive. It's how these people justify their purchases in their own mind. "It's not my fault I can't buy that book for $50 in 9.6, I only collect 9.8s so I have to buy that same book in 9.8 for $200. My OCD made me do it". Weak minded people.

Adorable. Just adorable.:cloud9:

18 minutes ago, GrumpyGus said:

This is a great example of his deflection tactics too. Besides intentionally misinterpresentng my post, he asks if we've ever thrown away a book, and when a good reason is given, he starts adding qualifiers. Before it was any comc, now its negligence vs accidental. Next it will be if you didn't report  your damaged comic to your insurance agent you're not a real collector.

I want to take the puppy home, Mom! Please, can I?

34 minutes ago, GrumpyGus said:

One thing I think we can all agree on is that you are no comic collector whatsoever, and therefore your opinions don't mean squat lol

Stu confirmed.....Seal of Approval.(thumbsu

5 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

I am anonymous? Where the heck have you been sleeping the last 7+ years, and the 3+ years before that?

I post mostly in Gold.  You some sort of Copper/Modern guy?  In any event, you don't use your given name as a board name and you list no personnel information.  That's anonymous in message board terms.  

Well, really it is Anonymous, but.....well.....I am a bit paranoid, and it is very hard for me to voice my opinion and all. It makes me anxious that people will tease me and make fun of me and call me names, and stuff. Hey! Watto go ride our bikes?

8 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I post mostly in Gold.  You some sort of Copper/Modern guy?  In any event, you don't use your given name as a board name and you list no personnel information.  That's anonymous in message board terms.  

The name was given to me by another legendary Board member, years ago. I humbly accepted it and now use it with pride. I will silently thank TBH until the day I did for the honor he bestowed on me.

8 minutes ago, GrumpyGus said:

He doesn't collect comics, he's a Water Cooler troll. He's just bored and lonely so he comes over here.

Stu, Stu. Want to go for a walk now, so you can pee, or do you want to play in the backyard?