• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a book grade 8.5 with a 1/4” cover tear ?
2 2

42 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lamborghinikid said:

Thank you ! Out of curiosity , what is the highest you have seen a book grade with a 1” or less size tear on the cover ?

Again, depends on the rest of the book AND the "raggedness" or lack thereof of the tear.

An otherwise 9.6-9.8 type copy with a 1" clean tear shouldn't grade lower than 7.0 or so. 

The lower you go in overall condition, the less the damage a specific defect does to the grade.

For example..if the book is otherwise in the 8.5 to 9.0 range, a 1" tear will probably knock it to 6.5-ish.

A 1" tear on an otherwise 4.0 book probably wouldn't affect it at all.

Large flaws tend to amplify their effects the better the general condition, and lessen in the other direction.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

I've seen a book receive a 9.2 with a small impact dent/tear on the back cover...but the book probably would have been a 9.6 without that flaw...

As RMA accurately stated above, large flaws tend to amplify their effects the better the condition, and lessen in the other direction.

Another "Golden Rule" of grading, IMO...

2 hours ago, Skeptic_Kepp said:

Credit goes to eta nick for this cheat sheet:

330bjux.jpg

Love this sheet. One thing I've always wondered about is spine tics. An otherwise 9.8 book with 1,2,3,4,5,etc spine tics. How many allowed per grade? Grading guide is vague on this. Anyone have insight into this?

2 minutes ago, jharvey said:

I have a recently graded Hulk #180 CGC 6.5 with the cover detached at one staple.

I think it's probably a case of the book having a much better overall appearance that a 6.0 so it's getting a slight bump. I'm guessing it presents like an 8.0 or better?

Thanks for all of the replies. The chart is absolutely fantastic and very well broken down. I fully understand where your coming from on a tear on a 9.6 effecting the grade to a certain degree and the same tear not effecting a 4.0. The chart is what I was looking for . It gives a good barometer to help me assign true flaws to a grade. 

I wonder if anything changed since this sheet was created since slab was recently graded. Anyone else have a CGC with a staple detached graded higher than 6.0?

He has a grading tutorial video series on YouTube that also gives insight into how he developed this sheet if anyone is interested:

Edited by Skeptic_Kepp

2 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

I think it's probably a case of the book having a much better overall appearance that a 6.0 so it's getting a slight bump. I'm guessing it presents like an 8.0 or better?

It would likely be a 9.4 if not for the popped top staple.

19 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Love this sheet. One thing I've always wondered about is spine tics. An otherwise 9.8 book with 1,2,3,4,5,etc spine tics. How many allowed per grade? Grading guide is vague on this. Anyone have insight into this? 

Looks pretty accurate...and it can be easily modified if necessary. 

As far as spine tics go, it's a little tougher, because they can be on the front and/or back cover, they can break color or not break color, they can be very tiny or rather large and pronounced, etc. You can also have spine stress lines that extend out across the cover an inch or more, but only the first 1/16" or so breaks color. Much tougher to evaluate...but not impossible.  (thumbsu

Edited by The Lions Den

I'm curious if finger bends count as creases....?

And if not where do finger bends without creases come but play?

My guess is that with a press and it being the only flaw 9.6/9.8, but without a press, it would come in at 9.0/9.2/9.4??

Does this sound correct? I have a 1st appearance of Silk that comes close to this definition..... finger bend lower right front cover, but minimal other flaws... just curious :foryou:

1 hour ago, jharvey said:

I have a recently graded Hulk #180 CGC 6.5 with the cover detached at one staple.

Is the staple popped on one side of the staple or is the cover detached completely at one staple?

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Is the staple popped on one side of the staple or is the cover detached completely at one staple?

Looks completely detached, but maybe a tiny part is tucked under the staple? Not sure.

IMG_9235[1].JPG

IMG_9236[1].JPG

Edited by jharvey

8 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I've seen a book receive a 9.2 with a small impact dent/tear on the back cover...but the book probably would have been a 9.6 without that flaw...

As RMA accurately stated above, large flaws tend to amplify their effects the better the condition, and lessen in the other direction.

Another "Golden Rule" of grading, IMO...

didnt the AC#1 auctioned on ebay sold to metropolis have a 1/4-1/2"" tear on the lower back cover edge and was graded a 9.2? 

11 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm curious if finger bends count as creases....?

And if not where do finger bends without creases come but play?

My guess is that with a press and it being the only flaw 9.6/9.8, but without a press, it would come in at 9.0/9.2/9.4??

Does this sound correct? I have a 1st appearance of Silk that comes close to this definition..... finger bend lower right front cover, but minimal other flaws... just curious :foryou:

Unless the grader entered in the wrong information, finger bends normally shouldn't be counted as creases. 

Finger bends should always be entered separately in the grader notes...an extremely common and easily identified flaw... (thumbsu