• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a book grade 8.5 with a 1/4” cover tear ?
2 2

42 posts in this topic

I believe the CGC grading standard has wobbled with regard to cover tears.  This book graded over ten years ago was an otherwise 9.2 with the quarter inch tear along the right edge of the front cover, making the tear responsible for about a 4 grading unit deduction:

DD2.JPG.35d50e4c4c30f5382dc0f44087731363.JPG

Edited by namisgr

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

I believe the CGC grading standard has wobbled with regard to cover tears.  This book graded over ten years ago was an otherwise 9.2 with the quarter inch tear along the right edge of the front cover, making the tear responsible for about a 4 grading unit deduction:

DD2.JPG.35d50e4c4c30f5382dc0f44087731363.JPG

That's a very nice 7.5...looks like it has a shot at an upgrade...

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Certain books are sometimes given a bit more leeway due to their age and importance to the hobby...

I never really understood that stance.

Condition standards should be equal regardless of the year published or the books title/issue #.

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, justafan said:

Ah yes, the Key GA/SA leniency grade bump.  I wonder if we're far enough along that we'll start to see the Key BA/CA leniency grade bump.

One argument that has been made regarding this is that comics are different sizes and a 1/2" tear on a GA book affects a smaller % of the book than an otherwise identical 1/2" tear on a CA book.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

One argument that has been made regarding this is that comics are different sizes and a 1/2" tear on a GA book affects a smaller % of the book than an otherwise identical 1/2" tear on a CA book.

:whatthe:

So a 2 inch stab wound on 6’ 3” man should be treated differently than a 2 inch stab wound on a 5’ 10” man???

That’s not right. A 1” tear is a 1” tear regardless if it’s a comic or magazine. GA books are only slightly bigger and most of their size is in their page counts vs actual length/width vs later comics.

If you use that logic than 4 pages missing in a 52 page GA book shouldn’t take as big a hit vs a 32 page comic?

Magazines are even bigger than GA books so they should be even less harshly graded???

43 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I never really understood that stance.

Condition standards should be equal regardless of the year published or the books title/issue #.

I completely agree, Nerv. I always try to grade books the same way, regardless of their age or status within the hobby.

The one thing I would put forth that is (hopefully) a good example of what I'm referring to is a book like Action #1. Since the highest graded copy is a 9.0 (I've heard rumors that the currently ungraded Mile High copy is in better condition) it would follow that no one really knows what a true NM copy of that book would look like, or what flaws would be allowable on that copy. For instance, if it were nearly perfect except for a 1/4" staple tear, what grade would it ultimately receive? 

The other question I would have is regarding the rarity of the book. For instance, I've seen books posted here that seem to be extremely scarce. Should that book be given more leeway simply because of how scarce it is?

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on these boards before, but it is a bit of an anomaly, isn't it?  (shrug)

13 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

A very good point. And because of their size, magazines are given the same consideration as well...

10 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I completely agree, Nerv. I always try to grade books the same way, regardless of their age or status within the hobby.

The one thing I would put forth that is (hopefully) a good example of what I'm referring to is a book like Action #1. Since the highest graded copy is a 9.0 (I've heard rumors that the currently ungraded Mile High copy is in better condition) it would follow that no one really knows what a true NM copy of that book would look like, or what flaws would be allowable on that copy. For instance, if it were nearly perfect except for a 1/4" staple tear, what grade would it ultimately receive? 

The other question I would have is regarding the rarity of the book. For instance, I've seen books posted here that seem to be extremely scarce. Should that book be given more leeway simply because of how scarce it is?

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere on these boards before, but it is a bit of an anomaly, isn't it?  (shrug)

I believe the Mile High Action #1 is expected to be in the 9.2/9.4 range depending on who you asked. One of the best copies out there if not possibly the best.

I don’t believe it’s really a topic for debate because it is happening doesn’t matter  if you like it or not I was just saying I don’t agree with any special treatment in grading a book regardless on any other factors outside of its existing condition.

Edited by N e r V

12 minutes ago, N e r V said:

:whatthe:

So a 2 inch stab wound on 6’ 3” man should be treated differently than a 2 inch stab wound on a 5’ 10” man???

That’s not right. A 1” tear is a 1” tear regardless if it’s a comic or magazine. GA books are only slightly bigger and most of their size is in their page counts vs actual length/width vs later comics.

If you use that logic than 4 pages missing in a 52 page GA book shouldn’t take as big a hit vs a 32 page comic?

Magazines are even bigger than GA books so they should be even less harshly graded???

I didn't say I (fully) agreed with it, just that it had been put out there in the past.

Can someone with a much better eye than me break down the Daredevil 2 ? That is a perfect example of what I was looking for. A book that has very minor flaws with just a very slight cover tear. Can someone break this book down as to what cgc wouldn’t have seen to give it a 7.5 ? Would it even be plausible that this book with the right grader on a good day could get a 8,5 ?

7 minutes ago, Lamborghinikid said:

Can someone with a much better eye than me break down the Daredevil 2 ? That is a perfect example of what I was looking for. A book that has very minor flaws with just a very slight cover tear. Can someone break this book down as to what cgc wouldn’t have seen to give it a 7.5 ? Would it even be plausible that this book with the right grader on a good day could get a 8,5 ?

Without having seen the back cover, I can't say for sure...