• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Disney comic book found by my friend... had a good day.
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Solid day Fan Boy- boat ride, QT with friends, comics and the prospect of more! Clearly your friends trust you to approach you thusly. 

At the risk of derailing the thread slightly... IF you were to do a remodel, would you hide books in the walls? 

The lady and I are doing a ceiling remodel in the living room of our condo. The building is from 1918- had an odd combo of drywall over plaster held up by 1inch boards with nails. Time and humidity, heat and cold; the whole thing was failing and it was time. 

Here is a shot of it nearly stripped down- note the handhewn old growth joists. 

1939734882_IMG_20180817_172824173_HDR2.thumb.jpg.3c6ff573795de64817f1fa4e39a6b80f.jpg

Here is another shot... Pressed hemp fiber insulation. 

image000000_01.thumb.jpg.d13cf6937f68b401f8ca655f72f1ac20.jpg

Bottom line... When the new drywall ceiling is complete I am putting some comics up there. Without breaking the bank, which comics would you hide? Why? What other items would you include? 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

@oldmilwaukee6er, my friends knew me from school days that I collect and love reading comics. When some asked if I still do, I said yes and that I have become a dealer on my spare time. That led to conversion to some books they have at their homes from years ago. You never knew when it happens around the corner. :wishluck:

Your house with the ceiling renovation is interesting that it had hemp-pressed insulation in there.  Never seen it, but my friend’s house does have the old growth solid wood beams simlair to yours. He said that his great great grandfather used the trees chopped down on the island. The house had stood there since the 1910s. I saw one wall had old wallpaper with child theme designs from the 1930s.

as for the comics to place inside walls or ceilings after renovation... interesting concept. I think it would be some regular comics to use. 

I was talking to Terry O Neil some years back about some comics he told me were found inside some guys wall in his house. One of them happened to be Suspense # 3 classic cover. I asked him what kind of condition it was in. He said it looked like it came out of a wall. lol He still sold it though. It just goes to show , you never know what's out there.

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

Im an exterminator by trade, and I go into a ton of attics. I'm still holding my dream of finding an Action 1 in an attic.

Batman 1, surely? :)

My father used to tell me that during the second World war when a ship came into Belfast harbour, that he had seen hundreds of comics used as ballast and was able to take a few home to read. I know that they usually scuttle a ship however what if you could search a boatyard who knows what you find.

2 minutes ago, tv horror said:

My father used to tell me that during the second World war when a ship came into Belfast harbour, that he had seen hundreds of comics used as ballast and was able to take a few home to read. I know that they usually scuttle a ship however what if you could search a boatyard who knows what you find.

Yeah. By the way thanks for my new sigline quote.:foryou:

I just found this on Wiki it should also interest Marwood.

Thorpe & Porter and American comics[edit]

In the 1950s and 1960s American comics typically arrived in the UK as ballast on ships. In 1959, Thorpe & Porter (widely known as 'T & P') became the sole UK distributor of Marvel comics. These were printed on Marvel's American printing presses, along with a special cover giving the British price instead of the price in cents, and shipped across the Atlantic. Inside the front cover, with the indicia, a sentence mentioned Thorpe & Porter as sole distributor in the UK market. Thus it was that brand new American-printed copies of Fantastic Four #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, The Amazing Spider-Man #1, and countless others, appeared in the UK.

Thorpe & Porter was purchased by the distribution arm of DC Comics, then known as IND., in 1964, going on to publish an official Superman/Batman reprint book, DC Special.

3 minutes ago, tv horror said:

In 1959, Thorpe & Porter (widely known as 'T & P') became the sole UK distributor of Marvel comics.

They never.

53 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Yeah, but they'd be junky British editions, and no one wants those.....

:shy:

Haha !!  Fun thread.  About putting comics back in a wall while doing construction, I was thinking putting books the same age as the house would be a super idea.  I mean, if you are going to hope for a future find by someone else,

may as well really baffle them :) 

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

When I started high school, I had a weekend job of maintenance and groundskeeping.  (Oh the stuff I learned and how seriously invaluable it is to me today)  Anyway... when we gutted a couple of rooms to build new drop ceilings and closets, a flurry of baseball cards fell out of the ceiling.  We picked them up and sorted through them.  As expected nothing of high value but a bunch of late 60's and early 70's stars and superstars.  This was 1989 as it was one of the first things we did when I first got the job.  With that, my boss sent us to the card store and had us buy a bunch of baseball card packs.  When we finished the ceiling he put the sealed packs of cards up there for the next generation to find. 

All I've ever found behind any walls I've knocked down are these guys.:bigsmile:

3-s.jpg