• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else mildly annoyed when....

31 posts in this topic

All of the people I knew from the original find have always called them "Mile Highs". We didn't know who Edgar Church was back then. Chuck Rozanski sure didn't advertise who the sellers were. It was only after years of sleuthing and fans comparing notes that Church's name became well know, but by that time we were very familiar with "The Mile High Collection".

The Cosmic Aeroplane Collection was also found in the '70s and is a contemporary of the Mile High Collection.

BTW, Burrel Rowe, the original purchaser of books from the collection, recently passed away...

https://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/obituary/burrel-rowe-iii?fh_id=14731

22 hours ago, telerites said:

Realize some like Okajima would be unknown but for those that are known, it would be a nice nod of provenance and respect. 

Confused... Okajima unknown? I guess her first name is not definitively known publicly, but her last name is all over the books! Okajima...

or maybe Im confused by what you meant....

5 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Anyone know if Chuck had his company, already named Mile High Comics, before he found the Church books?

He did.

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

Confused... Okajima unknown? I guess her first name is not definitively known publicly, but her last name is all over the books! Okajima...

or maybe Im confused by what you meant....

I think what telerites might of meant was location - would they be called Gila River or Fresno?

10 hours ago, Grantley Goddard said:

I agree that you disagree, 'Mile High' has Chuck's stench all over it.

Chuck really doesn't bother me. I stopped in there this summer to check his store out on my way to UTAH. Not much high grade stuff but definitely a lot of volume.

On 8/28/2018 at 4:11 PM, MrBedrock said:

All of the people I knew from the original find have always called them "Mile Highs". We didn't know who Edgar Church was back then. Chuck Rozanski sure didn't advertise who the sellers were. It was only after years of sleuthing and fans comparing notes that Church's name became well know, but by that time we were very familiar with "The Mile High Collection".

The Cosmic Aeroplane Collection was also found in the '70s and is a contemporary of the Mile High Collection.

BTW, Burrel Rowe, the original purchaser of books from the collection, recently passed away...

Weren't Cosmic Airplane books actually discovered before the Church collection?  I think it's the earliest named pedigree ... but I'm often wrong about these things!

On 8/27/2018 at 3:54 PM, miraclemet said:

the Church collection is referred to as the Mile High Collection, or the Mile High Pedigree? 

Its Edgar Church Pedigree, or Edgar Church Collection. 

It just feels like advertising for the guy when it's called by the finder's name (and actually not his name but his shop!)

I cant think of another collection that gets this naming... I mean some are just named for their city of origin... but an actual shop? 

I always think of them as Church books, but I have no problem giving Chuck R. credit for saving them from the trash bin -- if, in fact, that was what was likely to have happened had he not bought them.  For anyone who hasn't yet done so, his account of the find is a must read. 

On 8/28/2018 at 4:11 PM, MrBedrock said:

Thank you for sharing that.  I've learned from you many of the ways that he was important in the early growth of our hobby.

15 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Weren't Cosmic Airplane books actually discovered before the Church collection?  I think it's the earliest named pedigree ... but I'm often wrong about these things!

The Kansas City pedigree was 1st. Founded by the Thompsons in the 1960's. Cosmic Airplane 2nd. 1972, David Faggiola  was the owner. Tom Reilly/ San Francisco 1973. The 3 oldest pedigrees. Larson fits in there somewhere . It maybe the next Ped that was discovered. I'm not sure about the date.