• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ron Frenz Pencil Prelims to ASM #252 cover for sale
2 2

65 posts in this topic

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1495466&GSub=192683

Anyone have any clue as to their authenticity?

UPDATE: These sold last May at Heritage for $1135 with juice. Should this go in the Flip of the Day thread? :baiting:

UPDATE: Got this response from Ruben. I asked if they came from Frenz: 

“Yes, they did. The note at the top is in reference to Danny Fingeroth, the editor on ASM at that time.”

Also got a response from Ron Frenz’ camp confirming they are his prelim pencils and his handwriting. 

So, diligence has been done. You’re welcome.   

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I know we should inform each other of fakes, but your tone is guilty until proven innocent. 

Do you have any reason to believe its fake? 

Ruben is a known collector that alone makes me believe its real unless there are signs that it is fake 

Malvin 

22 minutes ago, malvin said:

I know we should inform each other of fakes, but your tone is guilty until proven innocent. 

Do you have any reason to believe its fake? 

Ruben is a known collector that alone makes me believe its real unless there are signs that it is fake 

Malvin 

I asked him about the provenance. This is a pretty high profile piece of art, so skepticism is warranted. 

20 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I asked him about the provenance. This is a pretty high profile piece of art, so skepticism is warranted. 

once again, guilty until proven innocent, how many pieces of OA have full provenance?  What kind of provenance would satisfy you?  Are you even a serious buyer for it?

Malvin

37 minutes ago, artdealer said:

Only by you and your conspiracy theories.

Go ahead and lay out the $4500 for it without finding out where it came from, then. You’re a dealer. So no excuses about how it’s not the type of art you collect. 

23 minutes ago, malvin said:

once again, guilty until proven innocent, how many pieces of OA have full provenance?  What kind of provenance would satisfy you?  Are you even a serious buyer for it?

Malvin

Published art I can check. Supposed “prelim sketches” with absolutely no context could be from anywhere, by anyone or made at any time. 

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Published art I can check. Supposed “prelim sketches” with absolutely no context could be from anywhere, by anyone or made at any time. 

so all prelims are fake until proven otherwise with provenance?

Malvin

11 minutes ago, malvin said:

so all prelims are fake until proven otherwise with provenance?

Malvin

If it’s pencil prelims for an iconic cover and they’re asking a lot of money for it, you have to do due diligence. I’m not saying they’re fake (looks like they sold at Heritage last year), but I’d want a better explanation for them. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

If it’s if an iconic co era badgers you’re asking a lot of money for it, you have to do due diligence. I’m not saying they’re fake (looks like they sold at Heritage last year), but I’d want a better explanation for them. 

All buyers should do their due diligence.

But that doesn't mean you should just declare things as fake and asking sellers to prove it is real.

You are implying they are fake based on the subject of your post.

Malvin

7 minutes ago, malvin said:

All buyers should do their due diligence.

But that doesn't mean you should just declare things as fake and asking sellers to prove it is real.

You are implying they are fake based on the subject of your post.

Malvin

I didn’t declare they were fake. I asked questions about them. 

14 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Did better than that. I asked Ron Frenz’ art rep. 

Well, the rep wouldn't know . . . only Frenz himself (if he remembers).  Did you get a reply from the rep (as relayed by Frenz) before starting your thread?

Whatever, I'm off to bed (it's late over here in the UK).  I feel a migraine coming on . . .