• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ron Frenz Pencil Prelims to ASM #252 cover for sale
2 2

65 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Well, the rep wouldn't know . . . only Frenz himself (if he remembers).  Did you get a reply from the rep (as relayed by Frenz) before starting your thread?

Whatever, I'm off to bed (it's late over here in the UK).  I feel a migraine coming on . . .

Well if Frenz or the Rep don’t know, how the he’ll can anyone else? 

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Well if Frenz or the Rep don’t know, how the he’ll can anyone else? 

How would the rep know. The art was done years before the rep was repping Frenz.

Or, would one of your conspiracy theories be that all reps should know every single piece of art the artist drew, otherwise it's not legit?

5 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

This thread reminds me of the Kirby recreations from 94. All it took was one person to say he didn’t do them - with no proof or evidence and literally destroyed those pieces. 

Wasn't PhilipB2k17 allegedly the person who said that?

Malvin

4 hours ago, malvin said:

Wasn't PhilipB2k17 allegedly the person who said that?

Malvin

I don’t remember what I said in that thread. But lots of people thought that. And I am not so well placed in the hobby that I could influence anything. Which is why complaining about this thread is weird. 

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I don’t remember what I said in that thread. But lots of people thought that. And I am not so well placed in the hobby that I could influence anything. Which is why complaining about this thread is weird. 

Influential, no.  Irritating, yes.

Edited by The Voord

This irresponsible allegation takes me back to my arguments against such actions (for which I received a bad reputation) on the Yahoo comicart-l group. Why wouldn't the OP ask Rueben or Ron Frenz first, rather than impugn a true cover prelim by starting an accusatory thread like this? I made a lot of people mad on the comicart-l group by standing firm on the fact that these types of questions are irresponsible and can injure the value of the art in question, but I continue to stand by what I've always said before: Please do your due diligence before making public accusations like the one that started this thread.

1 hour ago, Michael Browning said:

This irresponsible allegation takes me back to my arguments against such actions (for which I received a bad reputation) on the Yahoo comicart-l group. Why wouldn't the OP ask Rueben or Ron Frenz first, rather than impugn a true cover prelim by starting an accusatory thread like this? I made a lot of people mad on the comicart-l group by standing firm on the fact that these types of questions are irresponsible and can injure the value of the art in question, but I continue to stand by what I've always said before: Please do your due diligence before making public accusations like the one that started this thread.

It's obvious based on my posts that I agree with this view.

Malvin

Just now, malvin said:

It's obvious based on my posts that I agree with this view.

Malvin

I greatly appreciate you, Malvin, for being a responsible voice of reason and for your comments on here. Everything you posted was right. What sucks is that a few months back I got a nasty message from a board member on here who greatly dislikes me -- all because of my tough stand on this very issue on the comicart-l Yahoo group. So, thank you.

5 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

I greatly appreciate you, Malvin, for being a responsible voice of reason and for your comments on here. Everything you posted was right. What sucks is that a few months back I got a nasty message from a board member on here who greatly dislikes me -- all because of my tough stand on this very issue on the comicart-l Yahoo group. So, thank you.

This is sorta BS in my opinion.....(and I'm friends with Reuben and Malvin....)

This has happened HUNDREDS of times on this very board where people post with a headline "FAKE" .....and only "NOW" we criticize one guy for asking this exact question:

"Anyone have any clue as to their authenticity?"

I dont believe this injitial poster was being harsh or mean or calling it fake in any way.

I have some similar looking prelims from the ASM 252 cover and many other ASM covers that i bought directly from Ron Frenz many years ago when I visited him at his studio. 

Does my posting this make this prelim by ruben NOW  a fake? NO......   Are the prelims I own fake?  NO...... no one knows definitively unless they got the non piblished art directly from the artist......

(unless it's crazy crude drawings we see on ebay all the time)

yet we like to tar and feather others for asking honest opinions on a CHAT BOARD..... if something is legit?

Does anyone not see the irony there in putting this guy down for his question?  

Edited by romitaman

3 hours ago, romitaman said:

This is sorta BS in my opinion.....(and I'm friends with Reuben and Malvin....)

This has happened HUNDREDS of times on this very board where people post with a headline "FAKE" .....and only "NOW" we criticize one guy for asking this exact question:

"Anyone have any clue as to their authenticity?"

I dont believe this injitial poster was being harsh or mean or calling it fake in any way.

I have some similar looking prelims from the ASM 252 cover and many other ASM covers that i bought directly from Ron Frenz many years ago when I visited him at his studio. 

Does my posting this make this prelim by ruben NOW  a fake? NO......   Are the prelims I own fake?  NO...... no one knows definitively unless they got the non piblished art directly from the artist......

(unless it's crazy crude drawings we see on ebay all the time)

yet we like to tar and feather others for asking honest opinions on a CHAT BOARD..... if something is legit?

Does anyone not see the irony there in putting this guy down for his question?  

Mike, what if every time a sketch or drawing you posted was called into question on a public forum - casting doubt on a piece that is absolutely the real deal - and that caused people to doubt what you are selling and caused those pieces not to sell? He could have gone to Frenz first and asked. He could also have gone to Ruben and asked him for the provenance. Soon, no one is going to be able to buy a commission or sketch without it being questioned and that hurts a piece’s value - no matter if, after the doubt is raised, it is determined to be 100% authentic or not. There will always be that lingering doubt and that could be stopped by simply asking the seller and the artist rather than posting a statement that read like he was accusing the piece of being a fake.

Edited by Michael Browning

Unfortunately, the OP has a leaning towards conspiracy theories, of which this is a latest addition.  I'm sure he's a decent guy and if this was a one-off thread for him we might be less harsh in our responses.  To avoid such resulting controversy, the OP should have sounded-out Rueben or Frenz (via his rep) before creating this thread.  I see no evidence of that in any of his posts?

Edited by The Voord

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

Unfortunately, the OP has a leaning towards conspiracy theories, of which this is a latest addition.  I'm sure he's a decent guy and if this was a one-off thread for him we might be less harsh in our responses.  To avoid such resulting controversy, the OP should have sounded-out Rueben or Frenz (via his rep) before creating this thread.  I see no evidence of that in any of his posts?

Don't you know that no junkie would contact Ruben or Frenz before questioning this publicly??  Oh wait, I might be getting my conspiracy theories confused... :ohnoez:

10 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Don't you know that no junkie would contact Ruben or Frenz before questioning this publicly??  Oh wait, I might be getting my conspiracy theories confused... :ohnoez:

The Junkie conspiracy is yours, Gene. It ain’t mine. (thumbsu

Edited by PhilipB2k17