• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC v CBCS v PGX
1 1

129 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Doctors don't try to reason with infections, they try their best to get rid of them 2c

It's comments like these which make people shake their heads in utter amazement that you say things like "Absolutely nothing personal about my comments" with a completely straight face and expect anyone at all to believe you. You are as transparent as glass, to anyone paying even the remotest attention. If the OP was looking for evidence that you weren't operating in an intellectually honest fashion, look no further than this.

2c "

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

A couple of stray observations in a thread that may not survive the weekend:

I've been burned a number of times with PGX books coming back from CGC with significantly lower grades and woes that PGX had not caught.  That said, if you are going to roll the dice buying some of their slabs, stick with books graded pre-2010.  They give the grading date on the label -- something I wish CGC would do.  There's no guarantee that grades will hold up even with books from that period, but your chances are better in my experience. I would not submit raw books to them for grading because their reputation is such that you will not receive anything close to FMV should you sell the books, even if the grades are accurate.

I've probably resubmitted about 50 CBCS books to CGC over the past few years.  I don't have the records in front of me, but I think about 60% to 70% have come back with a lower grade (somewhat fewer -- maybe 40% -- have come back with worse pq).  The rest have come back with the same grade (sometimes after a press).  None came back with a higher grade and I don't remember any coming back with better pq.  One came back with a purple label.  The problem there was that CBCS gave a pass to a bit of glue on the spine that CGC considered resto.

I agree PGX graded before 2010 way better than now. I will also say I have a lot of CGC books. I think last 5 years CGC is to tight and tend to under grade book's. PGX I don't even no what to say in the last 5 years. CBCS grades more like me and plenty of friends who have been grading for years. That said if you want more money for your bang CGC is 100% the way to go. Remember all 3 are only a 3rd party opinion and all have there faults.