• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon 2006

735 posts in this topic

893whatthe.gif

There's a sale?

Don't mean to pimp out the place, but from the ad that I have infront of me,

1000000 Comix Halloween Sale

50% off bins

25% off merchandise

30% off wallbooks

US Cover on New Issues, Anime/Manga, Paperbacks

No Tax on DVDs.

Started October 28th, not sure when it ends.

Wanted to go, but didn't really have that much in mind that I wanted to get. Bro went though, got one of the four books I wanted. Also, Maple to (almost) downtown is a little outta the way. Ahh well, good to hear it's going good.

the sale goes for at least a week, if the numbers are good and steady then we'll leave it on for another. so far it's been great. if your in the area come on by.

by the by

we cleaned out the buffet joint of all mammal. kev was the champion with 4 plates full. thumbsup2.gif

Hey, I heard when Joshua Middleton and some other guy went to this convention they were flooded with business because of their unique cartoonish style. Skottie Young has a similar style (better in my opinion) and personally I think he would be a great addition to the comic con (lots of business for him - sketches, prints, etc.). Just my 2 cents :S

Between those two, I would rather see Joshua Middleton. Back in August, I didn't really see Skottie Young at his table (probably working on his commissions), and Joshua Middleton was busy working on the colouring for Superman/Shazam. I find it funny, the guy signs a two-year exclusive, does a bit of the Wildstorm Winter Special, and takes him over a year to get Superman/Shazam released. By the time the mini-series is done, he has about six months left in his exclusive contract.

Don't get me wrong, I love his art. I just think it was a bad move by DC. Ahh well, Josh did state that once his contract was up, he's gonna continue working on his Sky Between Branches series, with some publisher in France (I think).

As for the prints, Josh has to make a print of that rave scene from NYX #1. That was beautiful.

Hey, I heard when Joshua Middleton and some other guy went to this convention they were flooded with business because of their unique cartoonish style. Skottie Young has a similar style (better in my opinion) and personally I think he would be a great addition to the comic con (lots of business for him - sketches, prints, etc.). Just my 2 cents :S

While I'm not against having either Josh or Skottie at the Paradise Comicon djsupes, they have not appeared at a Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon before.

Kevin

Hi,

What do you think about that shyster Gerry Ross? The name 1,000,000 COMIX left a bad taste w/ almost everybody on the boards.

Where's Gerry now?

John

hi john

nice to meet you.

i believe that everyone has their own opinons on just about anyone and everything in this hobby. some are good others bad. i personally keep mine to myself.

there is another thread on the boards which has touched on gerry ross and within that thread there are positive and negative comments. i also believe that one person spoke to him recently.i have not spoken with him in many years myself. i will assume he is still in business in montreal.

we cleaned out the buffet joint of all mammal. kev was the champion with 4 plates full. thumbsup2.gif

Kev sure was the champ, but a new venue/restaurant needed for the next time.

Felt kinda funny the next day. Sorry mitol.

I felt fine. Maybe some of you gorged yourselves and over-ate, making you sick. Lack of self-control will do that you know. tonofbricks.gif

I felt fine. Maybe some of you gorged yourselves and over-ate, making you sick. Lack of self-control will do that you know. tonofbricks.gif

I thought the idea of a buffet was to over-eat. confused-smiley-013.gif

Was a good time though, good company and great discussions gossip.gif

Just confirmed:

GERARD JONES

Author of Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book (2004), winner of the Eisner Award; Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Superheroes and Make-Believe Violence (2002), and Honey I'm Home: Sitcoms Selling the American Dream (1993). From 1989 to 2001 he also wrote many comic books for Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Dark Horse Comics, Viz Comics, the Ultraverse and other publishers, including Green Lantern, Justice League, Wonder Man, The Shadow, Pokemon, and Batman.

Coauthor with Will Jacobs of The Beaver Papers (1983), The Comic Book Heroes (1985, 1996) and the comic book The Trouble with Girls (1987-1995). From 1983 to 1988 Jacobs and Jones were contributors to National Lampoon magazine.

----

Men of Tomorrow and the Comic Book Heroes are required reading for anyone who wants to learn about the history of this great artform. We are very honoured to have Mr. Jones as a guest at the 2006 Paradise Comicon.

Mr. Jones will be the keynote speaker at the 2006 Shuster Awards ceremony on Saturday, April 29th, 2006.

Kevin

Just confirmed:

GERARD JONES

Author of Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book (2004), winner of the Eisner Award; Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Superheroes and Make-Believe Violence (2002), and Honey I'm Home: Sitcoms Selling the American Dream (1993). From 1989 to 2001 he also wrote many comic books for Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Dark Horse Comics, Viz Comics, the Ultraverse and other publishers, including Green Lantern, Justice League, Wonder Man, The Shadow, Pokemon, and Batman.

Coauthor with Will Jacobs of The Beaver Papers (1983), The Comic Book Heroes (1985, 1996) and the comic book The Trouble with Girls (1987-1995). From 1983 to 1988 Jacobs and Jones were contributors to National Lampoon magazine.

----

Men of Tomorrow and the Comic Book Heroes are required reading for anyone who wants to learn about the history of this great artform. We are very honoured to have Mr. Jones as a guest at the 2006 Paradise Comicon.

Mr. Jones will be the keynote speaker at the 2006 Shuster Awards ceremony on Saturday, April 29th, 2006.

Kevin

nice pick up there kev thumbsup2.gif

For Immediate Release

November 2, 2005 (Toronto, Canada)

PARADISE COMICS TORONTO COMICON 2006 (APRIL 28-30) GUEST LIST CHANGES:

STAN LEE UNABLE TO ATTEND IN PERSON,

GEORGE PEREZ SIGNS ON AS GUEST OF HONOR.

GERARD JONES AUTHOR OF 'MEN OF TOMORROW' TO BE KEYNOTE SPEAKER AT THE SHUSTER AWARDS

Stan Lee Announces That He Is Unable to Attend the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon in Person.

Due to increased work commitments Stan Lee will be unable to attend the April 28-30 2006 Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon, where he was slated to appear as the Guest of Honor. Stan’s statement follows:

Hey, True Believers!

It's with great regret that I must cancel my April 2006 appearance in Toronto at the Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon. Although I had been eagerly looking forward to the event and to the chance to meet my Toronto fans, my work schedule for April has changed and it won't be possible for me to make the trip as originally intended. I apologize to everyone who may have been looking forward to meeting me at the Con, but I'm gonna try my best to make an appearance at the Comicon by video conference, so I'll still be part of the event in one form or other. I want to wish Peter Dixon and Kevin Boyd and the whole super staff at Paradise Comics all the best with their April 2006 Paradise Comicon, which has all the promise of being a truly great comics festival.

Excelsior!

Stan

(A copy of this statement will be published online at: www.stanleeweb.com)

As mentioned in the statement, plans are currently underway to include Stan in the event by video conference. “We were planning to schedule a talk at the event with Stan Lee and a university professor“ reports Peter Dixon co-promoter of Comicon and owner of Paradise Comics, “and since so many people were looking forward to hearing Stan talk that we owe it to the fans to try to make it work, and depending on the feasibility of video-conferencing we may do more of it with additional guests and celebrities who are unable to attend in person.”

“While we are disappointed that Stan Lee won’t be able to attend in person,” Dixon added “the show will go on. Stan Lee has still agreed to sign some books for us when we visit him in the spring of 2006. If anyone is interested in getting something signed by Stan Lee I suggest they contact us for details at paradisecomics@on.aibn.com or by phone at 416-487-9807."

Industry Legend George Perez signs on!

Paradise Conventions is proud to welcome master illustrator and industry legend George Perez to the 2006 Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon as Guest of Honor.

George Pérez began his comics career in 1973, assisting Rich Buckler on a back-up story in Astonishing Tales. A year later, he was assigned by Marvel to do some stories for the Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu and Creatures on the Loose titles. He then became a regular artist on such comics as Fantastic Four, The Inhumans and The Avengers. He eventually left Marvel and joined DC, where he created his best remembered work, The New Teen Titans with Marv Wolfman. He drew this title for four years, after which he took on the limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths, again with Wolfman. He then drew the encyclopedic History of the DC Universe and had a run on Wonder Woman, a comic for which he also wrote scripts.

He was present at Marvel again in the early 1990's with the limited series The Infinity Gauntlet, The Incredible Hulk: Future Imperfect and Sachs & Violens. He inked Gil Kane's adaptation of Jurassic Park for Topps, and briefly joined Malibu Comics and Tekno-Comix on different projects. He returned to DC as the inker of The Teen Titans and in 1997 he returned to The Avengers. In addition, he began his own creator-owned mini-series Crimson Plague for Event Comics and Solus at CrossGen. In 2003 he undertook, with writer Kurt Busiek, every fanboy's dream and illustrated the JLA/Avengers inter-company crossover for Marvel and DC. Mr. Perez is currently illustrating the covers to the blockbuster Crisis-inspired mini-series Infinite Crisis, with interior art by another Paradise Comicon guest, Mr. Phil Jimenez.

“The call went out far and wide” said Kevin Boyd, Paradise Conventions co-promoter and Comicon organizer, “and Mr. Perez answered! We are extremely honored to have Mr. Perez joining us for our fourth year.” 2006 marks the 20th anniversary year of the conclusion of Crisis on Infinite Earths (soon to be republished in an oversized "Absolute Edition" hardcover by DC Comics), and the publication of the History of the DC Universe mini-series.

www.george-perez.com (fan site)

Gerard Jones, Author of the Eisner-Award Winning Novel Men of Tomorrow Signs on as Keynote Speaker for the 2nd Annual Shuster Awards

Paradise Conventions and the Canadian Comic Book Creator Award Association (CCBCAA) are happy to announce that award-winning author and industry historian Gerard Jones has agreed to appear at the 2006 Paradise Comicon as a guest and as the keynote speaker for the 2nd Annual Joe Shuster Awards for Canadian Comic Book Creators.

Jones is the author of Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the Comic Book (2004), winner of a 2005 Eisner Award; Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Superheroes and Make-Believe Violence (2002), and Honey I'm Home: Sitcoms Selling the American Dream (1993). From 1989 to 2001 he also wrote many comic books for Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Dark Horse Comics, Viz Comics and Malibu Comics' Ultraverse line. Some of the characters he has written in the past include Green Lantern, the Justice League, Wonder Man, The Shadow, Pokemon and Batman. He is also the co-author, with Will Jacobs of The Beaver Papers (1983), The Comic Book Heroes (1986, revised in 1996) and the comic book The Trouble with Girls (1987-95). From 1983-1988 Jacobs and Jones were contributors to National Lampoon Magazine.

As well as Gerard Jones, George Perez and Phil Jimenez, the Paradise Comicon’s guest list includes: Greg Rucka (Wonder Woman, Adventures of Superman), Gail Simone (Action Comics, Birds of Prey), Colleen Doran (A Distant Soil, Book of Lost Souls), Ethan Van Sciver (Green Lantern), Tony Harris (Ex Machina), Brian Azzarello (100 Bullets, Loveless), Jill Thompson (Scary Godmother, Dead Boy Detectives), Amanda Conner (JSA Classified), Jimmy Palmiotti (Hawkman, Jonah Hex), J.G. Jones (Wanted), Joseph Michael Linsner (Dawn), Darwyn Cooke (DC: The New Frontier), Francis Manapul (Necromancer), Eric Powell (The Goon), Dave Sim (Cerebus), Adrian Alphona (Runaways), Jessica Abel (Artbabe), industry legends Marie Severin and Ramona Fradon, and editors Shelly Bond and Diana Schutz, along with many others. For the most up-to-date guest list please visit the Comicon website www.torontocomicon.com

More guest announcements will be made between now and April, as additional guests are confirmed.

Paradise Comics Conventions

www.torontocomicon.com

416-487-9807 phone

416-487-9907 fax

Industry Legend George Perez signs on!

Very sorry to hear about Stan, Kev. Guess it's tough for a guy his age. But from a personal standpoint, I'm extremely excited about Perez. He had been ill this whole year, so I was never able to meet him at any cons and now, he's going to be in my own back yard. Good stuff. thumbsup2.gif