• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,135 posts in this topic

Here are my first 2 PLANETS................ cloud9.gif

check out the back cover of issue #40. what a month for classic good girl art from one publishing house.

interestingly, the earlier issue from 1948 is much narrower than the later issue from 1952. kinda the reverse of what i expected.

and each issue has only approx 30 pages where many publishers were still producing 52 page comics. there was no advertising between the covers, however, so it's all stories.

Issue 40 had 5 stories and each one was filled with babes like the one on the cover. by the time issue 67 came out they still had the great covers but had toned it down quite a bit for the interior art. (at least as far as i can tell from just these two).

1140568604042_Planet.jpg

and here's issue # 67 witha cool good girl cover and the usual advertising on the back. this book is a full 2/3 inch wider than it's predecessor............

1142205995384_Planet_002.jpg

BBoy,

in # 67 you should know that 2 of the stories are reprints from earlier issues of Planet. The Reef Ryan and Flint Baker are reprints while the Star Pirate and The Lost World are new stories.

As for the page count, the page count dropped to 36 pages for issues 38 through 40 (yours) but then went back to the usual 52 pages with # 41 until # 61.

The cover to the # 67 is generally thought to take after this issue of the pulp Planet Stories -

1141691-PlanetStories.jpg

1141691-PlanetStories.jpg.751281fcd94fa0845aac45c1bcb33777.jpg

and here's issue # 67 witha cool good girl cover and the usual advertising on the back. this book is a full 2/3 inch wider than it's predecessor............

BBoy,

in # 67 you should know that 2 of the stories are reprints from earlier issues of Planet. The Reef Ryan and Flint Baker are reprints while the Star Pirate and The Lost World are new stories.

As for the page count, the page count dropped to 36 pages for issues 38 through 40 (yours) but then went back to the usual 52 pages with # 41 until # 61.

The cover to the # 67 is generally thought to take after this issue of the pulp Planet Stories -

1141691-PlanetStories.jpg

thanks for the info - now i know where to turn for my Planet questions. thumbsup2.gif do you have a personal run? what about Rangers and Wings??

Nothing too fancy this week, still recovering from all the books I bought at WonderCon cloud9.gif - here is a sweet copy of DD 85 however that I can scratch off my want list. Getting closer to finishing Daredevil 25 up. Hoping to be done sometime in the fall - then its a run at 20/25 first issues I don't have in HG. Can hear the wallet scream already. Thanks to Rocketeer for this one that came from somewhere high above the EastCoast. grin.gif

DD85.jpg

The Planets went "wide" at 66 & 67 (maybe 65) and then narrow again from 68 through the end of the run. The 67 is also very glossy compared to the books before and after it.

I finally picked up one of Harry's books! Beautiful book for an 8.0, with vibrant color...

batman156.jpg

One of my favorite Batman covers. Strange. Eerie. Moody. thumbsup2.gif