• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am I the Only One...

41 posts in this topic

Who thinks that these are awesome?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-COMICS-AMAZING-FANTASY-15-SILVER-FOIL-CGC-10-GEM-MINT-FIRST-RELEASE/153228563529?hash=item23ad225449:g:gB4AAOSw8-lbzjV3:rk:5:pf:0

I haven't bought them, yet, but I plan on getting all of the New Zealand Mint silver covers relatively soon.

I remember when these cam out a few months back and thought they were cool.  However, after some thought I saw this as a way to make a quick buck and not really provide a real collectible.  The perceived value is neither in the silver (which the spot price per ounce is at about $14.70) nor on the grade (a 10.0 as compared to what? How many 7.5s are there?) so yeah, I'll pass on this instead of giving away $300 for something that is neither a collectible nor a commodity.

i was never an expert in the comic crash of the 90s so I'm sure there lots I don't understand (so don't mind me, kids!) however when I see 15 variants of the same comic with a price tag of $14.99 each spread out at my LCS my brain, like, goes DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!

And now precious metals in comics? How about diamonds and jewels? 

But to answer the OP's question: No you're not the only one. 

Edited by NoMan

5 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

I'm confused.  Underneath the "10" in the top left corner it says, "First Releases".   There were only ten of these released.  Is "10" the grade or the number of books released?  Are all ten copies of this book "10"s?   There is no entry for this book in the census. 

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm confused.  Underneath the "10" in the top left corner it says, "First Releases".   There were only ten of these released.  Is "10" the grade or the number of books released?  Are all ten copies of this book "10"s?   There is no entry for this book in the census.

"10" is the grade. "First Release" indicates that it was graded within 1 month of it being minted. There have only been 10 minted of the gold cover replica (there were 1,000 minted of the silver cover replica).

Edit Added: To my knowledge, only 2 of the 10 gold replicas were graded.

Edited by TwoPiece
Notes added.

They look awesome, though as a coin collector and a comic collector, I don't feel comfortable with the mixing of precious metals. I get that irky feeling as someone stated above. 

12 hours ago, NoMan said:

i was never an expert in the comic crash of the 90s so I'm sure there lots I don't understand (so don't mind me, kids!) however when I see 15 variants of the same comic with a price tag of $14.99 each spread out at my LCS my brain, like, goes DANGER! DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!

If it were more reasonably priced I would purchase it as a novelty but not necessarily a collectors item. $300 is a bit over priced for 1 oz of silver even it if it comic book shaped. I have silver coins from the roman era that were of less cost than these and those are considered antiquities which will gain value. 50-100 I would buy one, but with 300 you could try and get a semi-key or key, depending on which comics you follow, an have a better chance of the value going up. Just my opinion though.

13 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

There is no entry for this book in the census. 

Well, it shouldn't be, should it?  It's not a comic book.  If there were a census for money grabs by CGC, you'd find it there.

2 hours ago, Transplant said:
15 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

There is no entry for this book in the census. 

Well, it shouldn't be, should it?  It's not a comic book.  If there were a census for money grabs by CGC, you'd find it there.

Unsure if these ten books should be in the census.  They have serial numbers.  On the other hand, they don't have grades or PQ. 

I just find them really cool, and still intend on collecting them, because they're perfect replicas (if you get the Gem Mint 10s) of comics that I'll never own originals (Action #1, Detective #27, etc). Would you rather own a graded reprint? Difference for me is that I'll never "read" either, so the cover in pure silver is just something nice to have on display.

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

I just find them really cool, and still intend on collecting them, because they're perfect replicas (if you get the Gem Mint 10s) of comics that I'll never own originals (Action #1, Detective #27, etc). Would you rather own a graded reprint? Difference for me is that I'll never "read" either, so the cover in pure silver is just something nice to have on display.

That's all that matters then. Me personally, zero interest.  I would rather use that money for actual Silver Age comics, not Silver Age comics made out of silver.