• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

Really well-written sequence with that guy and his son.  At first I thought he may have met the guy during World War 2.  After we saw who his son was I wondered if Bucky may not even remember enough about the whole thing to even give the guy closure about how and why his son died, but I guess he told Stark in Civil War when asked "Do you even remember them?" he responded "I remember all of them," so presumably he could have told the guy what he wanted to know.  Plus he would have to remember a lot about him to track his dad down and strike up a relationship, so all of that implies he remembered everything about the son.

He didn't cross him off the list, though, so it seems like he'll go back there before the series is over.  The whole idea of the list is really compelling.

Edited by fantastic_four

Wow. Excellent start to this series.

I think I was expecting a little more typical MCU formula right out the gate, but instead I got Sam trying to get a mortgage for his sister and Bucky trying to make life amends to the family of the people he killed. It's exploring small moments like this which is more outside the formula because you can't have Sam trying to get a mortgage in a 2 hour super-hero flick, but you can do it on TV. It's awesome to see that Marvel Studios knows how to tell the right stories for this medium.

And for all the "Bucky should have been Cap!" folks who keep beating that drum, Episode One tells you why he can't be Captain America. And with Sam's actions at the outset of the show, the humbleness he has beneath the smart a** exterior, we see why Steve Rogers was right in wanting to pass the mantle to him.

I never made the connection before of Sam as Uncle Sam, as in the advertising icon of U.S. military recruitment and volunteerism.

THIS is the reality I want to see more of from the MCU.

Individuals that either through self-sacrifice or situational contributions go forward having to deal with the consequences and impacts on their own mental and psychical health due to their experiences. Kind of like what Iron Man III tried to deliver, and for me partially achieved with distractions.

Bucky having to reflect back on all his actions while trying to be a better person going forward comes across very credible and interesting. Especially because he is trying to directly make up for his actions.

:applause:

I know in the comics Torres becomes Falcon at some point and I believe he is generally a good guy but when he was telling Sam about the Flag Smashers at the start, something seemed off about his character. Like he has something to hide....

Edited by comicginger1789

17 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I recall US Agent being an entirely unlikable a-hole in the comics...it'll be interesting to see if they carry that through here.

I bet John Walker is a non-entity in the MCU, as in he doesn't even have super-powers and is completely for show, kind of like Steve Rogers in the first half of Captain America First Avenger. My guess is he's a flash in the pan who doesn't make it past a couple episodes.

I hope they do, he's supposed to be like the antithesis of Cap in terms of his personality. He's a government sanctioned watchdog who paid for his powers, so he has a very different sense of morality with them. Obviously we have no idea if or how he got his powers within the show yet but I can't wait to see him fight it out with Bucky and Sam. I enjoy Wyatt Russel from what little I've seen him in, he's great in Overlord and Black Mirror on Netflix, so hopefully this is gonna be fun.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I bet John Walker is a non-entity in the MCU, as in he doesn't even have super-powers and is completely for show, kind of like Steve Rogers in the first half of Captain America First Avenger. My guess is he's a flash in the pan who doesn't make it past a couple episodes.

He had powers in the comics...are you saying you know he doesn't in the MCU?  My memory is telling me he had Cap's powers, but I don't really remember.  Wikipedia says he can bench press 10 tons.