• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

There's a new star-spangled man with a plan in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and franchise newcomer Wyatt Russell is hoping fans "don't hate [him] too much" as the new Captain America on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. The premiere episode of the Marvel Studios original series, "New World Order," ended with the United States government publicly declaring a need for "new heroes" six months after Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) relinquished the shield in Avengers: Endgame. The 112-year-old Steve handed the shield to his trusted ally Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie), who was blindsided when the government unveiled a winking John Walker (Russell) under a catchy slogan: "Cap is back."

"People are probably going to hate it, and some people are going to love it," Russell told USA Today. "[Movies and TV shows] are there to make people feel emotions, and I'm hoping that that's what this show can do for people. Hopefully, they don't hate me too much. It would be an honor, I guess, to be disliked in the Marvel universe."

After the episode-ending reveal of the John Walker Captain America, viewers took to Twitter with the hashtag #NotMyCap — a phrase that appeared in the recent Marvel comic books where Sam Wilson wielded the shield as the all-new Captain America.

"I don't think there's really been many MCU characters who've had quite the dilemma he's had in terms of trying to fit into this sort of moralistic superhero world," Russell said of Walker, who comic book readers will recognize as US Agent.

"He's been thrust into this role as Captain America and he's going to do it his way, and he wants to do it right. But his way is a very specific way that he has learned through being basically a trained human hunter. I mean, that's what Marines are. They're not Steve Rogers, they're not the same. They're not like Boy Scouts anymore. They're a little bit more gnarly."

Part of me is hoping that at the conclusion of, "This is Us' after season six, that Justin Hartley plays a revitalized Steve Rogers if they want to recast the role.  Over a decade ago, his name came up as a possible Captain America before Chris Evans was cast. 

I like the idea that Mackie has rejected the role of Captain America in the beginning of this series as the odds increase that Mackie will end up with the shield at its conclusion and for future movies.  There is a scene in one of the comics where Spider-man asks Falcon to hold the shield.  I want to see this in Avengers 5. 

image.png.58e0aa047eca07239fc8863323bb1f8a.png

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Part of me is hoping that at the conclusion of, "This is Us' after season six, that Justin Hartley plays a revitalized Steve Rogers if they want to recast the role.  Over a decade ago, his name came up as a possible Captain America before Chris Evans was cast. 

I actually enjoyed his performances all the way through Smallville. A hero that suffered yet through his struggles tries to do the best he can. But at times at the cost of blind justice. It felt more real.

I could see him making this work. Though the comparison would always be there due to the amazing performance of Chris Evans for many years.

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I actually enjoyed his performances all the way through Smallville. A hero that suffered yet through his struggles tries to do the best he can. But at times at the cost of blind justice. It felt more real.

I could see him making this work. Though the comparison would always be there due to the amazing performance of Chris Evans for many years.

I think they are bringing back Captain America no matter what.  The way that they ended Evans run on film allows for two options (if not more):

Option 1: You get someone of similar type to play Rogers as an old man as they did in the comics.  Falcon has the Shield but Rogers acts as a battlefield commander.  When it came to the Red Skull reappearing, Ross Marquand demonstrated that with a decent performance and makeup you can take over a role as if it was yours to begin with.  I am not suggesting Marquand at all, but Marvel can find someone. 

Option 2: Captain America is deaged and appears as Justin Hartley or any other actor.  Marvel unapologetically will cast a new actor in a roll and not only make it work but have us thanking them for it.   Hulk and James Rhodes immediately come to mind.  While swapping Evans for someone else would be a much more noticeable course of action, I believe it can be done and I believe it will eventually be done.   I have no problem and would actually like to see Mackie carry the shield though for at least a few years and a few movies past Falcon and Winter soldier.   Why not forever though?  Captain America has always been about a man out of time.  This was represented in Winter Soldier with his list of things to catch up on and even in Endgame when he decided to live his life... back in time.   The story of Captain America, at least on screen, is taking the stereotypical elements of the Greatest Generation of WWII and fighting to make his moral code and sense of honor exist in a world that is not only devoid of it but in some aspects rejects it.

I want to see how they apply this to Falcon.  If they can come up with a similar struggle then keep Falcon forever.  If not then they need to eventually. bring Steve as a WWII soldier back.

Some characters work regardless of who is wearing the costume.   For example, Frank Castle could be anyone of any race or gender so long as their family is murdered and they are ex-military.   That is who their character boils down to.  "one bad day"

I think the hardest thing to ever recast is RDJ.  That is a character who is now defined by the actor who has played him.

Now I am rambling. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Episode 1 was good.

Falcon's action scene was over-the-top, some of the camera angles are bad, and the therapist character is dumb (which is somewhat on-point). The writing was great for this episode, though. Already off to a much better start than WandaVision.

13 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I think they are bringing back Captain America no matter what.  The way that they ended Evans run on film allows for two options (if not more):

Option 1: You get someone of similar type to play Rogers as an old man as they did in the comics.  Falcon has the Shield but Rogers acts as a battlefield commander.  When it came to the Red Skull reappearing, Ross Marquand demonstrated that with a decent performance and makeup you can take over a role as if it was yours to begin with.  I am not suggesting Marquand at all, but Marvel can find someone. 

Option 2: Captain America is deaged and appears as Justin Hartley or any other actor.  Marvel unapologetically will cast a new actor in a roll and not only make it work but have us thanking them for it.   Hulk and James Rhodes immediately come to mind.  While swapping Evans for someone else would be a much more noticeable course of action, I believe it can be done and I believe it will eventually be done.   I have no problem and would actually like to see Mackie carry the shield though for at least a few years and a few movies past Falcon and Winter soldier.   Why not forever though?  Captain America has always been about a man out of time.  This was represented in Winter Soldier with his list of things to catch up on and even in Endgame when he decided to live his life... back in time.   The story of Captain America, at least on screen, is taking the stereotypical elements of the Greatest Generation of WWII and fighting to make his moral code and sense of honor exist in a world that is not only devoid of it but in some aspects rejects it.

I want to see how they apply this to Falcon.  If they can come up with a similar struggle then keep Falcon forever.  If not then they need to eventually. bring Steve as a WWII soldier back.

Some characters work regardless of who is wearing the costume.   For example, Frank Castle could be anyone of any race or gender so long as their family is murdered and they are ex-military.   That is who their character boils down to.  "one bad day"

I think the hardest thing to ever recast is RDJ.  That is a character who is now defined by the actor who has played him.

Now I am rambling. 

The cool thing I like about the MCU is that is mirrors the comics in that it's a growing evolving thing. But more than the comics, I don't think the MCU is going backwards. It's going forward. That's why Steve Rogers and Tony Stark are done in the MCU. Not only is the MCU about moving forward, Feige and co. also want the Marvel Cinematic Universe to look like and represent the world we live in. That means diversity. Captain America is going to be an African-American and he's gonna be Uncle Sam Wilson. Shang Chi is almost here. Pretty soon we're going to have the world's first Muslim super-hero in Kamala Khan. Oh, and very soon, Carol Danvers is going to be at the forefront of the MCU and most likely the next leader of the new Avengers team (I'm just not sure how they juggle that with a powered-up Sam Wilson Captain America).

21 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The cool thing I like about the MCU is that is mirrors the comics in that it's a growing evolving thing. But more than the comics, I don't think the MCU is going backwards. It's going forward. That's why Steve Rogers and Tony Stark are done in the MCU. Not only is the MCU about moving forward, Feige and co. also want the Marvel Cinematic Universe to look like and represent the world we live in. That means diversity. Captain America is going to be an African-American and he's gonna be Uncle Sam Wilson. Shang Chi is almost here. Pretty soon we're going to have the world's first Muslim super-hero in Kamala Khan. Oh, and very soon, Carol Danvers is going to be at the forefront of the MCU and most likely the next leader of the new Avengers team (I'm just not sure how they juggle that with a powered-up Sam Wilson Captain America).

And I am all for it so long as the core elements of the character are there.  And that is why I use the example of the Punisher.  The Punisher could be a LGBTQ person of color.  So long as the motivation is about being embroiled in revenge after suffering the loss of family and children then they retain the core traits of what makes the Punisher, the Punisher. 

Edited by Buzzetta

19 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Oh, and very soon, Carol Danvers is going to be at the forefront of the MCU and most likely the next leader of the new Avengers team (I'm just not sure how they juggle that with a powered-up Sam Wilson Captain America).

Wait, when did that come up as a plan?

:baiting:

captain_marvel.gif.0ccb51fa4ddec27895a071152020db59.gif

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

And I am all for it so long as the core elements of the character are there.  And that is why I use the example of the Punisher.  The Punisher could be a LGBTQ person of color.  So long as the motivation is about being embroiled in revenge after suffering the loss of family and children then he retains the core traits of what makes the Punisher, the Punisher. 

I've never been a fan of the Punisher. He was always just a guy with guns, to me. But I guess anybody could be the Punisher, as revenge is a pretty vague motivation. Could you imagine the backlash from a gay Punisher, though? That'd be crazy.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

I've never been a fan of the Punisher. He was always just a guy with guns, to me. But I guess anybody could be the Punisher, as revenge is a pretty vague motivation. Could you imagine the backlash from a gay Punisher, though? That'd be crazy.

Not meaning to pick on you - but are you kidding?

24 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Not meaning to pick on you - but are you kidding?

No, lots of people have innocent loved ones killed by criminals or bad guys. Happens everyday all over the world, actually. Does that mean there should be lots of Punishers? I really always just saw Frank Castle as Death Wish in spandex. I never cared for him. That's just me.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

No, lots of people have innocent loved ones killed by criminals or bad guys. Happens everyday all over the world, actually. Does that mean there should be lots of Punishers? I really always just saw Frank Castle as Death Wish in spandex. I never cared for him. That's just me.

Have a family member killed and you would most probably relate to the anger more than ever before. It is a primitive yet natural response when you are drastically wronged.

And I don't mean someone calling you a name or putting a post-it note on your back. Think about it. Someone did something so extreme every fiber in your being resents what was done to you. And in the case of someone killing or maiming fiends or family, that's about as personal as you can make an offense. It drives people mad with rage.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Have a family member killed and you would most probably relate to the anger more than ever before. It is a primitive yet natural response when you are drastically wronged.

And I don't mean someone calling you a name or putting a post-it note on your back. Think about it. Someone did something so extreme every fiber in your being resents what was done to you. And in the case of someone killing or maiming fiends or family, that's about as personal as you can make an offense. It drives people mad with rage.

There are even more layers to it than that though.  The Punisher knows that he is a broken individual.  He seeks revenge but it is also a means to an end to one day hopefully see his family again.  At heart, the Punisher exhibits not only pain and loss but a sense of self loathing.  He will continue his mission, until one day someone does to him what he cannot do, which is punish himself either through harm or death for failing to protect that which he lost.  Frank Castle is almost looking to find a death by the superhero equivalent of, "suicide by cop."

Edited by Buzzetta

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

There are even more layers to it than that though.  The Punisher knows that he is a broken individual.  He seeks revenge but it is also a means to an end to one day hopefully see his family again.  At heart, the Punisher exhibits not only pain and loss but a sense of self loathing.  He will continue his mission, until one day someone does to him what he cannot do, which is punish himself either through harm or death for failing to protect that which he lost.  Frank Castle is almost looking to find a death by the superhero equivalent of, "suicide by cop."

^^

'Dirty Laundry' was such a clear demonstration of the self-loathing and loss Frank Castle feels while meting out justice on those that are the most extreme offenders.

So many people can relate to this in that they feel loss but also blame themselves for the right or wrong reasons. I could easily see a Punisher or Paul Kersey developing from the most harshest events we see on the news.

Imagine saving the world only to come home and realize you didn't even get a penny for doing so. That's apparently the case within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as a line from Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie) in the series premiere of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier seemed to indicate Earth's Mightiest Heroes don't get any take-home pay. As The Falcon himself put it, the heroes operated largely on good faith in hopes of saving the world one time after another. Unfortunately for those heroes involved, good faith doesn't necessarily pay your mortgage or your insurance premiums — and that single line alone could have pretty hefty ramifications on the MCU moving forward.

Enter, the Heroes for Hire.

The MCU is full of powered beings, the past 20-some movies over the course of a decade-plus have taught us that much. If the cinematic world's flagship group isn't walking away with some extra cash, you can bet some powered being somewhere is. That's why Wilson's single little salary line could actually introduce a whole new concept and idea to the MCU proper — and maybe, just maybe, that means we'll soon see the live-action return of Luke Cage and Danny Rand.

Between WandaVision and just one episode of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, we've gotten a pretty good look at just how damaged of a world Earth became after Thanos' snap in Avengers: Infinity War. With half of all life gone in the blink of an eye, it stands to reason drastic times required drastic measures, right?