• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in! - Blonde Phantom 13
1 1

28 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Looks 7.5 ish as is ….seems like a good candidate for a boost from a press and clean.  Whats going on with her complexion?  Looks like she broke out in a rash.  A few lower grade copies on Ha show that sort of effect on their scans.  Curious if anyone knows what caused that...printing variance... tanning?...

You're right about her face.  Major acne problem.  I'm not going to press this one.  1 staple comics make me nervous to press.  

10 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Probably.  But, with only 1 staple holding the cover I was nervous.

I don't think that slight spine roll made much, if any, difference in the grade. The indentations definitely dropped the grade but I think only one tick. The bigger impact was probably the Back Cover stains. I totally agree with your decision to not press the book with only one staple. It looks like the one staple has a small tear already and it can be risky. There are some wrinkles on the BC that a press probably would have helped. What was the Page Quality ? I think it's a very cool book. Is it a keeper or are you selling it ?

17 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't think that slight spine roll made much, if any, difference in the grade. The indentations definitely dropped the grade but I think only one tick. The bigger impact was probably the Back Cover stains. I totally agree with your decision to not press the book with only one staple. It looks like the one staple has a small tear already and it can be risky. There are some wrinkles on the BC that a press probably would have helped. What was the Page Quality ? I think it's a very cool book. Is it a keeper or are you selling it ?

Cr-OW PQ

This is a TOUGH book to find.  It never seems to come up on ebay.   It's the only BP I own.  I think I'm holding for right now.

This group of submissions I just got back have a lot of books you don't see too often.  When I get the box from CGC I'll post all the pics.

2 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Cr-OW PQ

This is a TOUGH book to find.  It never seems to come up on ebay.   It's the only BP I own.  I think I'm holding for right now.

This group of submissions I just got back have a lot of books you don't see too often.  When I get the box from CGC I'll post all the pics.

Cool. It's actually refreshing to see a collector hang on to some books. Looking forward to the pics !

20 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Grade is in......

It only got a 5.0.  Bummer.:cry:

graders notes say the figure of the Blonde Phantom has tracing mark indentations (I didn't even see that).  

Pressing will help. I had few books with the tracing mark indentations. It kicked about 1 point up.

2 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Pressing will help. I had few books with the tracing mark indentations. It kicked about 1 point up.

A dry cleaning of the back cover and a skilled press of the front should help this immensely.  Those don't look like water stains so they may clean up nicely.  The front cover looks like an 8.5, with the stains I had it at 6.5.  Kinda shocked at how harshly this was graded.  I get the indentations are considered cover wear, but still seems overly harsh.  The worst case scenario is that the staple pops and you're looking at a 4.5 no matter how nice it cleans and presses.  tough call...

Edited by davet75