• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA February Auction
6 6

569 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

As much as I enjoy artwork by the likes of Adams, Raymond, Williamson, Fraz, et al., when folks start mentioning $500K estimates, three things immediately come to mind:

1.  It’s a Buck Rogers covers, and those that can afford it and actually care about Buck are dwindling in number with each passing year 

2. For that kind of dough, I’d MUCH rather have the ASM 100 cover, for numerous reasons!

3.  For that kind of dough, I’d MUCH rather have a Fraz painting

or 4. 10 to 20 Peanuts strips lol

but the Frazetta Cover is spectacular

Just now, batman_fan said:

or 4. 10 to 20 Peanuts strips lol

And what is up with Peanuts anyway? All the characters look like they're two feet tall and their head sizes are totally out of proportion with their bodies. :screwy:

:jokealert:

4 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Yeah, if that were the only panel on a big Sunday. :eyeroll:

It's certainly enough to ruin a Sunday.  It's like if "2 Girls, 1 Cup" was spliced into "The Shawshank Redemption" - it's all anyone would talk about regarding the movie.  

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

And what is up with Peanuts anyway? All the characters look like they're two feet tall and their head sizes are totally out of proportion with their bodies. :screwy:

:jokealert:

Well the prices that they're fetching are totally out of proportion for the amount of examples in the market...

That FF126 is awesome too Gene, c’mon ;)

i find myself agreeing with Rob’s comments ... I’m more interested in how the piece presents as a whole than in technical perfection.   

Edited by Bronty

52 minutes ago, Bronty said:

That FF126 is awesome too Gene, c’mon ;)

i find myself agreeing with Rob’s comments ... I’m more interested in how the piece presents as a whole than in technical perfection.   

Sure, but there's a chasm the size of the Grand Canyon between "technical perfection" and "drawn so poorly compared with the rest of the piece that it's the only thing that anyone is going to be fixated on". 

You often see superheroes drawn with wrong-sized heads and/or greatly exaggerated anatomy.  I like Mike Deodato's Hulk despite the fact that he draws the Hulk with a basketball sized head compared to an elephant sized body. But, if just the Hulk's left shoulder, arm and hand was drawn at Galactus sized proportions (and those body parts are even totally out of proportion with each other on the FF cover), it would ruin it, just as the - let's face it, horrific to the point of deformation - Thing image completely ruins the otherwise fine FF 126 cover for me, or the disembodied leg ruins that otherwise excellent Flash Sunday. 

Boris would never make errors like these!  

Edited by delekkerste

Great point re Boris!!

I guess it’s just personal preference.   I’m in the same boat as you on the Raymond, perhaps partly because it’s such a realistic style otherwise.

The FF doesn’t bother me so much... perhaps because nothing on the cover is ‘real’

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Great point re Boris!!

I guess it’s just personal preference.   I’m in the same boat as you on the Raymond, perhaps partly because it’s such a realistic style otherwise.

The FF doesn’t bother me so much... perhaps because nothing on the cover is ‘real’

So, I guess we can both agree that Tim (tth2) doesn't have a disembodied leg to stand on when he criticizes Boris if he's willing to let that Flash Sunday slide. :idea: 

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

...or the disembodied leg ruins that otherwise excellent Flash Sunday.

Not ruined. That single word is so illogically overloaded with emotion. Blah. Get over it ;)

If I owned that Sunday, my eye wouldn't run to it every time (and when it did, I wouldn't care, it's well done even so!), but I would definitely point it out to anybody else that ever looked at it. That sort of error is one of "I'm so tired of drawing panels I fell asleep at the table three times this morning already" not inability to do it right. That makes it a point of conversation, not the opposite! lollollol Alas the market agreed more with me than you and the hammer was far in excess of my means to acquire, but not my willingness.

21 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

So, I guess we can both agree that Tim (tth2) doesn't have a disembodied leg to stand on when he criticizes Boris if he's willing to let that Flash Sunday slide. :idea: 

That reminds me, since you’re fresh out of Boris I need to send you one like we talked about :D

On 12/23/2018 at 8:26 PM, delekkerste said:

It's certainly enough to ruin a Sunday.  It's like if "2 Girls, 1 Cup" was spliced into "The Shawshank Redemption" - it's all anyone would talk about regarding the movie.  

How do I make this quote a footer on all of my future comments?