• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

Black Widow released on a weekend when many thought we were starting to recover from the pandemic, hence the $80 mil weekend on top of the $60 mil in Disney+ premier access revenues. The Delta mutant surge has thrown a monkey wrench into the U.S. economy getting back to normal and will still be a factor in two weeks when Shang Chi premieres in theaters-only for 45 days. As a result, I think Shang Chi opening box office Labor Day weekend will be down from Black Widow's to around $65 million.

However, for safety concerns, I think a lot of the movie's audience will not be crowding theaters the opening weekend and will be disbursed over the first week, giving Shang Chi very strong legs through that week. I myself am hyped for this movie but probably won't go see it until Sunday or Monday. Apparent strong word of mouth, decent reviews, and repeat viewings will give Shang Chi an incredible second weekend of maybe $40 million. In the middle of a mutant virus pandemic bolstered by the unvaccinated, Shang Chi will renew faith in the movie theater industry.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 8/21/2021 at 10:32 AM, jimjum12 said:

If I lived near you, I would treat you to it .... that's how good I expect it to be, But you have to keep in mind that I am NOT the typical Fanboy who can find fault with a free BJ ... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I think I'll see it alone, thank you!

:fear:

On 8/21/2021 at 6:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

I'm trying to synch that content together without the conflicts

:baiting:

Jesus hung out with 12 dudes and sex workers, never held down a paying job so relied on freebies, got freaky in the secret gospel of mark, and has a legacy that resulted in his followers spending lots of time on their knees begging for him to come a second time.

I see no conflicts here. ;)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/21/2021 at 11:55 PM, Larryw7 said:

The Secret Gospel is likely a fabrication by Morton Smith.  I've read three books pro and con, and it seems to be a forgery. But it's sure interesting reading.

Yup, authenticity was especially questioned early on, but over the last recent years the idea has shifted away from it being an outright forgery by Smith (that is to say some parts have scholars leaning towards authenticity, such as the writing by Clement since all the evidence against it being a forgery has fallen away - for example the handwriting issues) while other parts are still hotly debated it is important to remember that no one has ever demonstrated any clear signs of forgery (and if it is a forgery, many in academia have said it is then the single greatest piece of forged scholarship ever - it is damn interesting.

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/20/2021 at 7:50 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Yes, when these kids grow up to adults, their version of going out for dinner and a movie will be munching grocery store sushi on a park bench while they watch a Netflix original flick on an iPad 35.0. Sounds like fun!

No, they will have a gourmet meal delivered and will watch the movie in a full 3D immersive environment wearing a headset or contact lenses that the theater environment cannot come close to matching. Much better experience overall. 

Edited by kimik

On 8/23/2021 at 10:24 AM, paperheart said:

review embargo lifted today, could change things but as of now 'stock' predicting: $140-150MM US, w/ $49MM opening weekend

Considering the current state of the Delta variant and cases rising, that would be a solid box office run for a third tier property.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:22 PM, D84 said:

Couldn't get through the first paragraph of him filating the movie.

He doesn't - read more than the first paragraph. 

First day of the review embargo lift: Shang Chi has a 92% score at Rotten Tomatoes with 84 total reviews so far. I imagine it'll come down from that a bit, but it seems like the movie has its decent reviews. Great word of mouth from opening weekend audiences needs to come next.

I'm starting to see and hear more excitement buzz from people about this movie. I predict a great opening weekend. However in the middle of a pandemic, it might be a spreader. With the new FDA approval stamp today, I hope young folks go out and get their vaccines this week. Then enjoy the show.