• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

Well, like all filmmakers that are trained in the Marvel Studios media-dodging program, Destin Daniel Cretton doesn't let anything slip about what fans will get to see at the end of Shang-Chi. All Cretton would offer is that there is indeed a Shang-Chi post-credits scene, and that Marvel fans want to see it. "Audiences should most definitely stick around!" Cretton told Fandango, after being asked directly about it.

Why does this feel like the Eternal actress stating you must see the film - it is going to have film, actors and scenes?

I just think Man of Steel is quite possibly the biggest misstep in comic book movie history.

Here was WB's big chance to put their planned Extended Universe (to rival Marvel's) on the right foot, and, in this new reality where comic book movies were finally becoming more comic booky (thank you, Marvel), to make a faithful and comic book-like movie featuring DC's flagship character. IMO and I believe in the opinion of many others, WB blew it.

In a What If? world, a modern Superman movie should have been IMO bright colors and gleaming American optimism. A pure of heart Kal El raised as Clark Kent by the goodly Kents of Smallville, KS who brings that same American optimism to the "clean streets" of Metropolis, the City of Tomorrow. Yes, there could have been darkness, but not IMO in the heart of Clark Kent.

Instead, with MOS we got a dark and depressing Clark Kent who had a miserable childhood in Kansas who was bullied by his classmates and couldn't deal with his super powers. We got weird character development elements like a Jonathan Kent who gives his adopted son strange life lessons like sacrificing himself to a tornado so that young Clark realizes how important it to keep his powers secret but also result in an adult Clark Kent who toothpicks some trucker's mac truck onto a telephone pole just because he was harassing a waitress and kills the main villain in the most grisly way possible. If they wanted a darker Superman movie, make the villains darker, not Clark Kent.

Great comic book writers like Frank Miller, Alan Moore, and Grant Morrison understood this in their Superman stories. He's the Great Big Blue Boy Scout. Not another Byronic tragic hero living in a Nolanverse.

By putting Superman on the wrong foot, WB put the entire foundation of their new DC universe on the wrong foot. IMO.

On 8/16/2021 at 12:12 PM, fantastic_four said:

Man of Steel discussion is spilling into this thread, too?  :eek:  :ohnoez:

Well what else were they going to belittle DC films and proclaim only Marvel Studios does it right?

:sumo:

On 8/16/2021 at 12:04 PM, Bosco685 said:

Let me guess - more Man of Steel bashing!

For once we kinda agree, I never cared for MoS, and found BvS unwatchable.  I did however like WW (let's never speak of 2 again), Aquamarine, Shazam, and the Snyder cut was interesting.

On 8/16/2021 at 12:20 PM, drotto said:

For once we kinda agree, I never cared for MoS, and found BvS unwatchable.  I did however like WW (let's never speak of 2 again), Aquamarine, Shazam, and the Snyder cut was interesting.

enemies.gif.ccc5071dc2455e81c54dd1e791a66a60.gif

:baiting:

On 8/16/2021 at 12:22 PM, Bosco685 said:

enemies.gif.ccc5071dc2455e81c54dd1e791a66a60.gif

:baiting:

I actually favor the MCU, and I may be harsh at times against the DCU but csn admit what I felt that they did that worked and what did not.

I will even go as far as saying WW is one of.my favorite superhero films and I think Shazam is very under appreciated. 

But currently I think all films are floundering and the MCU is not immune. To add to this problem what is coming out now appear to be weak offerings, that suffer from being developed and created for a different reality.

Edited by drotto

On 8/16/2021 at 12:29 PM, drotto said:

I actually favor the MCU, and I may be harsh at times against the DCU but csn admit what I felt that they did that worked and what did not.

I will even go as far as saying WW is one of.my favorite superhero films and I think Shazam is very under appreciated. 

But currently I think all films are floundering and the MCU is not immune. To add to this problem what is coming out now appear to be weak offerings, that suffer from being developed and created for a different reality.

Not sure if you saw the Snyder Cut or not (but recognize it is 2017 content). But this was probably one of the best things to release this year for comic book productions, in addition to Invincible, Superman and Lois and Loki. Now add What If that statement as it has a lot of potential there to develop future alternate reality stories on a grander scale.

A bummer that Man of Steel didn't work for you. Not that it must be appreciate or you are the enemy. But to me, your loss. It is an incredible film.

On 8/16/2021 at 12:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

Not sure if you saw the Snyder Cut or not (but recognize it is 2017 content). But this was probably one of the best things to release this year for comic book productions, in addition to Invincible, Superman and Lois and Loki. Now add What If that statement as it has a lot of potential there to develop future alternate reality stories on a grander scale.

A bummer that Man of Steel didn't work for you. Not that it must be appreciate or you are the enemy. But to me, your loss. It is an incredible film.

I saw the Snyder cut and liked it. To me the many flaws were obvious, but it was enjoyable. MOS I just found overly dark for a Superman film, the final fight was overlong and dull (realistic yes,  but how many building can you see get knocked down), Superman does not kill, I did not like Louis, etc.  I could go on, but this is the wrong thread.

On 8/16/2021 at 12:52 PM, drotto said:

I saw the Snyder cut and liked it. To me the many flaws were obvious, but it was enjoyable. MOS I just found overly dark for a Superman film, the final fight was overlong and dull (realistic yes,  but how many building can you see get knocked down), Superman does not kill, I did not like Louis, etc.  I could go on, but this is the wrong thread.

Are you kidding? sorry, but you must be putting me on.