• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

A Marvel Cinematic Universe one-shot has been added to Disney+ just in time for its crucial tie-in with Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. Disney+ has re-released Marvel One-Shot: All Hail the King, which was originally included as part of the Iron Man 3 Blu-ray release. "All Hail the King" was a pivotal little story, which is arguably the first time the Marvel Cinematic Universe's real Mandarin, made his presence known - after Aldrich Killian and a poor little failed actor Trevor Slattery (Ben Kingsley) tried to use The Mandarin's name as a Trojan Horse for A.I.M.'s nefarious schemes.

Here's the new synopsis for Marvel One-Shot: All Hail the King's release on Disney+: Marvel One-Shot: All Hail the King (2013) is newly added and has a front-page banner ahead of Trevor Slattery's return in Shang-Chi. The short film mentions the real Mandarin, ends with a hook for Shang-Chi, and was originally released as a special feature on the [Thor: The Dark World] Blu-ray.

Shang-Chi is going to finally tie up one of the big loose ends in the MCU, which has been left dangling ever since the first Iron Man movie introduced the Ten Rings organization. Iron Man sparked all kinds of Marvel fan theories about how The Mandarin would eventually appear as Tony Stark's main nemesis, just like in the comics. However, director Shane Black decided to subvert fan expectations of Marvel lore with his Iron Man 3 Trevor Slattery twist, but the cynical point Black was making about the nature of figureheads was lost on most fans.

On 8/26/2021 at 9:43 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Why would anyone be surprised that Shang-Chi action figures aren't selling well?

The movie's not out yet.

Kids haven't seen it, don't know who the characters are and have no reason to buy the toys.

They also don't have the bells and whistles or the aura of the fantastic like many successful toys do ... they're just dudes in clothes. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 8/29/2021 at 2:56 PM, jimjum12 said:

They also don't have the bells and whistles or the aura of the fantastic like many successful toys do ... they're just dudes in clothes. GOD BLESS...

Fair.

Expecting kids -- or even adult collectors -- to buy these prior to the film's release is akin to expecting folks to buy Star Lord action figures 4-6 months before the release of the first Guardians film.

Nobody - not even most comic collectors - cares about Shang-Chi.

However, if the film is good, and successful, maybe that will change in a month or so.

On 8/29/2021 at 3:47 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Fair.

Expecting kids -- or even adult collectors -- to buy these prior to the film's release is akin to expecting folks to buy Star Lord action figures 4-6 months before the release of the first Guardians film.

However, if the film is good, and successful, maybe that will change in a month or so.

When the Kung Fu wave hit America in the late 60's it was a juggernaut that affected sports, TV, and literature... It's time for a relapse. With the popularity of MMA, action flicks, and vigilante heroes (shrug) GOD BLESS....

On 8/29/2021 at 3:47 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Fair.

Come on. You let him off easy.

Tell him about the time you negotiated action figure contracts while personally running the factory and meanwhile also wearing the company chief accountant hat.

It is going to be spectacular! :baiting:

On 8/29/2021 at 5:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

Come on. You let him off easy.

Tell him about the time you negotiated action figure contracts while personally running the factory and meanwhile also wearing the company chief accountant hat.

It is going to be spectacular! :baiting:

?

I've done none of those things.

I did, however, do the other things I've noted.

I brought them up because my experience was directly relevant to the issue at hand - and you're still wrong in your assertion that Disney magically dictates how long individual movies run in theaters. That's not how it works.

On 8/29/2021 at 6:57 PM, Gatsby77 said:

?

I've done none of those things.

I did, however, do the other things I've noted.

I brought them up because my experience was directly relevant to the issue at hand - and you're still wrong in your assertion that Disney magically dictates how long individual movies run in theaters. That's not how it works.

spiderman-thats-it.gif.21ebdf05526fc707b5d2a70e74b5e32a.gif

On 8/23/2021 at 9:00 PM, Bosco685 said:

Why is Target and Walmart already discounting these action figures before the film even releases?

It's Covid coupled with the general lack of knowledge about Shang-Chi.

The film has been delayed multiple times.  Hasbro designs figures over a year in advance, and they produce them over six months in advance.  They had the Shang-Chi figures done well over a year ago, but after the movies were delayed due to Covid they let them sit in warehouses, probably in China.

Fast forward to earlier this year, and Marvel has now pushed Shang-Chi back what, twice?  Before the last delay Hasbro had already started shipping them from Chinese warehouses to the US.  They were already on the way when Marvel delayed the film again.  Once they're here the cost to warehouse them is much greater because Hasbro usually just ships them directly onto retailers, and retailers won't hold onto them waiting for Marvel to release their film.  So they had to put them on the shelves much earlier this year.  I forget what month they came out, but it was something like March.

Big box stores like Target and Walmart don't let most of their limited quantity product sit on shelves for long.  Action figures can often get as little as one to two months on the pegs before both retailers start clearancing them out.  I knew when these figures were hitting the shelves that far before the film they'd be put on clearance long before the film hit.  I didn't know for sure they wouldn't sell well and would go to clearance, but I would have bet money on it due to the lack of general knowledge of Shang-Chi.  I mean, I may end up wanting these figures myself as a Marvel Legends collector, but I have no idea right now because I haven't seen the film.  Thousands of hardcore collectors like me are in the same boat.  I did buy Shang-Chi, but that was it, I have no idea who the others are really, although I'm generally aware that Wenwu in your picture is the Mandarin, but I've never read Iron Man much so I have little attachment to the Mandarin, either.  Maybe my interest in him will soar after the film, who knows.  (shrug)

So it was mostly bad luck due to Covid, but it's also lack of knowledge of the characters.  Had these figures been released right before the film was released as they usually try to do they may have sold well.  Hard to say, and we'll probably never know now since the box office is also likely to be mediocre due to Covid.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 8/29/2021 at 10:12 PM, fantastic_four said:

The film has been delayed multiple times.  Hasbro designs figures over a year in advance, and they produce them over six months in advance.  They had the Shang-Chi figures done well over a year ago, but after the movies were delayed due to Covid they let them sit in warehouses, probably in China.

Fast forward to earlier this year, and Marvel has now pushed Shang-Chi back what, twice?  Before the last delay Hasbro had already started shipping them from Chinese warehouses to the US.  They were already on the way when Marvel delayed the film again.  Once they're here the cost to warehouse them is much greater because Hasbro usually just ships them directly onto retailers, and retailers won't hold onto them waiting for Marvel to release their film.  So they had to put them on the shelves much earlier this year.  I forget what month they came out, but it was something like March.

Big box stores like Target and Walmart don't let most of their limited quantity product sit on shelves for long.  Action figures can often get as little as one to two months on the pegs before both retailers start clearancing them out.  I knew when these figures were hitting the shelves that far before the film they'd be put on clearance long before the film hit.  I didn't know for sure they wouldn't sell well and would go to clearance, but I would have bet money on it due to the lack of general knowledge of Shang-Chi.  I mean, I may end up wanting these figures myself as a Marvel Legends collector, but I have no idea right now because I haven't seen the film.  Thousands of hardcore collectors like me are in the same boat.  I did buy Shang-Chi, but that was it, I have no idea who the others are really, although I'm generally aware that Wenwu in your picture is the Mandarin, but I've never read Iron Man much so I have little attachment to the Mandarin, either.  Maybe my interest in him will soar after the film, who knows.  (shrug)

So it was mostly bad luck due to Covid, but it's also lack of knowledge of the characters.  Had these figures been released right before the film was released as they usually try to do they may have sold well.  Hard to say, and we'll probably never know now since the box office is also likely to be mediocre due to Covid.

I could get behind 'COVID causing the delays impacted the merchandising release plans'. It does make sense.

The other details, including they probably were stored in China - what? I was waiting for the shipping container number and boat or plane designations next shipment by shipment in this tale of woe.

:baiting:

Sorry. But when a franchise can motivate people to see a released film upteen times in only a few months, then that same fanbase would be assumed to purchase anything and everything fed to them.

On 8/29/2021 at 10:12 PM, fantastic_four said:

I believe those ToyBiz/Hasbro Marvel Legends line of action figures with their small parts (like the ones pictured in this thread) have traditionally been sought out more by older collectors and I always see those figures on sale.

The kids prefer the larger action figures as well as the accessory items like Thor's action sound hammer and stuff. Shang Chi official merch toys offers those more kid-centric items like Shang Chi's action sound sword, the Ten Rings with sound, a Protector Dragon figure with jaw action, in addition to the larger more kid friendly action figures.

I went to Target the other day and none of those more traditional kid toys for Shang Chi were on clearance and the shelf stock was at about 1/3 full. The Protector Dragon figures and the Ten Rings with lights and sound accessory were sold out.