• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shang-Chi coming to a theater near you
5 5

895 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2021 at 12:52 PM, drotto said:

I saw the Snyder cut and liked it. To me the many flaws were obvious, but it was enjoyable. MOS I just found overly dark for a Superman film, the final fight was overlong and dull (realistic yes,  but how many building can you see get knocked down), Superman does not kill, I did not like Louis, etc.  I could go on, but this is the wrong thread.

I did not like Louis either.

Wait a minute...

Who was Louis?

On 8/17/2021 at 1:40 AM, Larryw7 said:

Isn't that what they said about Black Widow and Suicide Squad?

Well, Black Widow and The Suicide Squad weren’t bad movies. I didn’t see initial social media reactions to SS, but yes, Black Widow was mostly positive.  However, I remember BW’s initial reactions also left me as a fan a little uneasy. Some initial reactions biggest superlative were that “Florence Pugh steals the show!” Another wrote she “dug Black Widow!” Another wrote he liked BW but also noted it was “a little choppy.” All positive but not exactly glowing first reactions. Shang Chi’s initial social media reactions all seem to be glowing across the board. 

We know James  Gunn is mostly hit, some miss. I have no idea who Cate Shortland is. But from what I’ve seen of Daniel Destin Cretton’s previous films, I know the guy is a very good storyteller. Based on that, I expect Shang chi to be a good movie. Who knows, with three straight major superhero movies that have underwhelmed fans so far since WW84, maybe Shang Chi will save the comic book movie industry.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Ehhh, I never take to much from these "first social media reactions" posts.  Obviously if someone was to call it out and say it was bad then Disney would not invite them to the next one (and this goes for any studio, not just nailing Disney here).  It is in the best interest of the social media review to give it a glowing review, even if it is full of suck.

On 8/17/2021 at 7:38 AM, media_junkie said:

Ehhh, I never take to much from these "first social media reactions" posts.  Obviously if someone was to call it out and say it was bad then Disney would not invite them to the next one (and this goes for any studio, not just nailing Disney here).  It is in the best interest of the social media review to give it a glowing review, even if it is full of suck.

It honestly reeks of Disney paying everyone to get audiences in theaters next month. I haven't read a single neutral or negative reaction. The reality that no one dissents is a statistical impossibility.

"Crucial for the future of Phase 4". Haha, isn't that the entire premise of these films...?

As I mentioned before, I hope that it's good. I just can't trust these media personalities.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

KEVIN FEIGE ADDRESSES CHINESE AUDIENCE CONCERNS

In an interview (via Youtube) with Sina Weibo, a Chinese microblogging website, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige answered questions about Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and the controversies surrounding the film in China. One controversy that has Chinese audiences concerned is Shang-Chi's connections to the racist caricature of Fu Manchu who, in the comics, was his father. Kevin Feige responded to that concern by making it clear that not only was Fu Manchu never a Marvel-owned character, but that "Fu Manchu is not in [Shang-Chi] in any way, shape, or form:"

"That is one of the truths about the early comic books, that Fu Manchu was a part of that story in the early comics. Fu Manchu is not a Marvel character. Fu Manchu is not a character we own or would ever want to own and that was changed in the comics many, many years ago and we never had any intention of doing that in this movie. Fu Manchu is not in this movie in any way, shape, or form."

"We want heroes that look like all of our fans around the world and heroes our fans can look up to and feel that wish-fulfillment to want to be a part of and it's about inviting people into our world, not keeping people out of it or keeping people separate from it. And that's what really sets it apart from any of the characters from any of our other movies is that this is a very unique character that you can almost not even call a villain. This is a story of love between a father and a son, but misunderstanding and conflict and that’s what we’re anxious for people to see in this movie between these two amazing actors."

"As with all of our Marvel Cinematic Universe films, we often change stories from the comics. That's certainly one of the elements that we've changed. There is conflict between them. What this movie is about is a hero who did have conflict with his father and his father's legacy as he was growing up and wanted to run from that. The movie is about him returning to it and learning the deeper truths about what happened when he was a child and who his father really is."

On 8/17/2021 at 11:03 AM, Jaydogrules said:

They said that about In the Heights too.  :ohnoez:

-J.

In the Heights got a 95% RT score, it just happened to be an HBO Max streaming movie, too, so its box office was doomed to go along with the lack of a wide interest even though it was a Broadway hit years ago.