• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM House of Mystery #143

9 posts in this topic

Hey just wanted some advice on this book...

I'm pretty sure I've under graded it because I didnt know exactly how to grade "writing on The cover"

This book has about 3/4 of an inch pen mark on the cover, I assumed that was a deal breaker and would heavily effect the grade but since joining this site, I've seen many comics with writing on the cover get high grades, so I truly have no clue how to grade this and any advice on the grade and how much the Pen mark effects the grade would really be appreciated ...

The Pen mark is right under The Orange creatures chin on the left side

thanks

1545356810871-2e8c8c5d-a094-4f0d-bc83-b5fd02aefb76_.jpg

1545357014451-8a83a434-8843-45b6-9925-0bc2a0033f19_.jpg

20181220_205224.jpg

20181220_205238.jpg

20181220_205248.jpg

20181220_205252.jpg

20181220_205302.jpg

20181220_205306.jpg

20181220_205322.jpg

20181220_205341.jpg

1545989358125-e0c94835-59a2-45e7-b711-d216b649c5ec_.jpg

Edited by billbrown7080

front cover is nice with small color breaking spine tics and the pen mark.  The back cover looks like it has large patches of light soiling or staining (doesn't look like foxing) on the corners, and this may well be the limiting defect.  this would be a 7.5 without the staining/soiling and with the pen mark, but mainly due to the back cover staining/soiling:

CGC 6.5  (they seem to be pretty harsh on staining/soiling on front and back cover from the many examples i've seen)

Edited by davet75

3 hours ago, davet75 said:

front cover is nice with small color breaking spine tics and the pen mark.  The back cover looks like it has large patches of light soiling or staining (doesn't look like foxing) on the corners, and this may well be the limiting defect.  this would be a 7.5 without the staining/soiling and with the pen mark, but mainly due to the back cover staining/soiling:

CGC 6.5  (they seem to be pretty harsh on staining/soiling on front and back cover from the many examples i've seen)

thank you

is there a certain number they take off for writing on the cover like mine?

Is it like an automatic 1 point or half a point...

or does it depend entirely on The size and amount of writing on the cover?

I don't think CGC deducts much if any for pen marks on the front cover. Case in point my RR Bank Book #1 CGC grade 9.4. Other than the pen mark looks like initials on my book, but you definitely bring up a good point.

I think your book will be criticized more for what appears to be the staining/soiling on the back cover. If it's stained I'm thinking 6.5 and 8.5 if it's not a stain. 

RR Bank Books #1 CGC 9.4.jpg

6 hours ago, Cliff R. said:

The lighting on the back cover makes it hard to tell. Also, you didn't mention any back cover concerns, so I'm guessing that it looks much better than the pics.

Beautiful book, 7.0 + ?

thank you but I got to be honest..

I didnt mention any back cover concerns because I dont know exactly what to say...

I'm not exactly sure how to grade soiling or stains...

I was just hoping you guys with more knowledge and experience could see the pics and and judge for your self.

I've never had anyone to talk to or ask question about comics before, so when it comes to grading there are certain things I'm just not sure about, But since joining this board about a month I'm gaining a treasure drove of knowledge and asking all the questions I didnt know

I just dont know how to judge the Soiling and Stains, I dont know the levels of soilings, I dont know how much to take off for Soiling, and when it comes to stains, I've even more confused.

theres so much different sizes a stain can be, so many different Substances A stain could...Im just lost...

but yes there absolutely is soiling on the back on this comics, But I have no idea how to explain it..