• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,236 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2024 at 11:11 AM, Dark Knight said:

Quite a collection that you auctioned off. Are you leaving the hobby or just putting the funds toward a bigger book? Just curious. If it is something private than I respect that :cheers:

Check my post at the bottom of page 205 in this thread :smile:

On 6/29/2024 at 9:28 AM, CentaurMan said:

Check my post at the bottom of page 205 in this thread :smile:

Congrats on the turning point in your life. Sounds like that money will be used wisely.

I just gotta ask. Being the obsessive collector that I am, did you keep anything for “old times sake”? 

On 6/29/2024 at 10:45 AM, CentaurMan said:

I did!  I have my Tarzan All-Story, my Larson copy of Action #7, and my Superworld Mile Highs.  Also, all the comics I bought off of newsstands and back issue boxes in the 1970’s-80’s (my core collection from when I was a kid/teenager).

Action #7 what grade is the Larson?

On 6/27/2024 at 9:52 PM, Professor K said:

Not 100% sure but I think the only other pre hero or non hero cover DC to top 100k was a 5.0 Detective #1. At least publically. Not even Action 2 or Tec 28. 

Opera Snapshot_2024-06-28_004309_www.comicconnect.com.png

On 6/28/2024 at 8:17 AM, tth2 said:

Wow! 

On 6/28/2024 at 11:17 AM, batman_fan said:

Those must have really popped at the end of the auction

Yes, I imagine there must have been a lot of extended pop popping going on with this More Fun 31 here since it had a total of 71 bids on it.  (thumbsu

Seriously though, clearly no ordinary run of the mill pre-hero DC book as this is the Church copy and the highest graded copy by far, with a meagre total of only 9 unrestored copies graded to date so far.  Then again, I am quite sure that the real reason this book managed to hit 6-figures is the long acknowledged opinion that this is the first published appearance of Superman with that ad in this issue.  :cloud9:

As for Actn 2 and 'Tec 28, my thinking is that if they were both Church copies plus if they were 9.6 graded copies at that, you just might see both of them also hitting 6-figures like this More Fun 31.  hm  (shrug)

On 6/28/2024 at 10:12 PM, CentaurMan said:

Fabulous book.  Sold previously in the June 2017 Berk auction for $19,200.

On 6/28/2024 at 11:06 PM, Dark Knight said:

Thanks Centaurman for that info.  I tried to find out how much it sold for back in 2017, but I was unsuccessful.  Strong price it sold today.

On 6/29/2024 at 5:30 AM, CentaurMan said:

Yeah, just had to pull up my old invoice.

Well, for the rest of us here who weren't so fortunate or clearly not astute enough to snag these books back in 2017, you could try the CC Auction archives:  :gossip:

https://www.comicconnect.com/browse/?filtertype=&search=wonder+comics+2&save=submit&show_sold_search=1

Like the Heritage archives :) and unlike the CL archives which are non-existent  :mad:, it's just a simple matter of keying in the name of the book and checking off the Sold box if you want to see all the past sales and auction results for a particular book.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/29/2024 at 9:02 AM, CentaurMan said:
On 6/29/2024 at 8:32 AM, Dark Knight said:

Congrats again with another huge sale! Looks like you did very very well! :applause:

Thank you!  In their own way, the Wonderworlds yesterday were equally impressive.  Most of them went for $4-5k in that same 2017 auction.  I remember being surprised I won as much as I did back then.  Usually I place bids just to “price enforce”, but I was getting hit left & right.

Hey Win;

Yes, big time congrats to you on the stupendous results for your Church/Berk Wonderworld run and now aren't you glad you won as much as you did back then.  (thumbsu  :takeit:

Especially nice to see that you was still able to get these plus 3-bagger results even with the books residing in their original slabs and not have to play the rather nefarious CPR game which sadly seems to be the current flavor of the day.  :applause:

Since you are now selling off virtually your entire GA vintage collection, does this mean there are now no private collectors with a complete Centaur run since both @G.A.tor's and Berk's complete Centaur runs were also auctioned off during the past few years?  hm

On 6/30/2024 at 12:10 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, I imagine there must have been a lot of extended pop popping going on with this More Fun 31 here since it had a total of 71 bids on it.  (thumbsu

Seriously though, clearly no ordinary run of the mill pre-hero DC book as this is the Church copy and the highest graded copy by far, with a meagre total of only 9 unrestored copies graded to date so far.  Then again, I am quite sure that the real reason this book managed to hit 6-figures is the long acknowledged opinion that this is the first published appearance of Superman with that ad in this issue.  :cloud9:

As for Actn 2 and 'Tec 28, my thinking is that if they were both Church copies plus if they were 9.6 graded copies at that, you just might see both of them also hitting 6-figures like this More Fun 31.  hm  (shrug)

Oh sure no doubt. We all know there are pre hero and non hero cover DC's out there that would top 100k if offered, but not many.  A few days ago I would not have guessed it would be the MF 31, even in 9.6. Makes me also wonder how a single page with that Sup ad would sell for if there are any. 

On 6/30/2024 at 1:56 AM, lou_fine said:

Hey Win;

Yes, big time congrats to you on the stupendous results for your Church/Berk Wonderworld run and now aren't you glad you won as much as you did back then.  (thumbsu  :takeit:

Especially nice to see that you was still able to get these plus 3-bagger results even with the books residing in their original slabs and not have to play the rather nefarious CPR game which sadly seems to be the current flavor of the day.  :applause:

Since you are now selling off virtually your entire GA vintage collection, does this mean there are now no private collectors with a complete Centaur run since both @G.A.tor's and Berk's complete Centaur runs were also auctioned off during the past few years?  hm

On 6/30/2024 at 1:56 AM, lou_fine said:

Hey Win;

I sold my entire Centaur run privately to a collector.  Whether they still have it or not is an open question, but I haven’t seen any of the key books for sale since then, so I suspect that they do.

On 6/30/2024 at 4:13 AM, CentaurMan said:

Not sure, probably around an 8.5?  Here’s the book:

action7 2.jpg

Looks great is the book unrestored. I only had 2 copy's a nice F/VF back in 82 and a beat up copy now love this book. Still looking for a beat 2 so I can read it again like I did when I was 19.

image.thumb.jpeg.d29e0a256249bb5ddc96c8a9568962e4.jpeg

image.jpeg.e4eb01ee24e809c4585b6d40c884bc27.jpeg

On 6/30/2024 at 7:15 AM, CentaurMan said:

I sold my entire Centaur run privately to a collector.  Whether they still have it or not is an open question, but I haven’t seen any of the key books for sale since then, so I suspect that they do.

Looks like books from someone's bound volume Centaur run is up for grabs tonight.

Of all my years here on the Boards,  can't say I remember a Thread on the opinions of books from bound volumes. Desirable? Notch above conserved/restored? 

On 6/30/2024 at 10:04 AM, sagii said:

Looks like books from someone's bound volume Centaur run is up for grabs tonight.

Of all my years here on the Boards,  can't say I remember a Thread on the opinions of books from bound volumes. Desirable? Notch above conserved/restored? 

Those are mine.  Really nice for the other structural 90% of each book (but for the spines); good pages, bright covers, etc.  Untrimmed (unlike most bound copies).  They’d be solid 5.0-7.0 copies otherwise, and some of those issues are impossibly rare.

Unfortunately, saying “but for the spines” is a real “Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?” kind of quote, so they’re much less desirable than they’d otherwise be.

On 6/30/2024 at 11:31 AM, CentaurMan said:

Those are mine.  Really nice for the other structural 90% of each book (but for the spines); good pages, bright covers, etc.  Untrimmed (unlike most bound copies).  They’d be solid 5.0-7.0 copies otherwise, and some of those issues are impossibly rare.

Unfortunately, saying “but for the spines” is a real “Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?” kind of quote, so they’re much less desirable than they’d otherwise be.

Appreciate the info!

You really had a world class collection 👏 

On 6/30/2024 at 10:31 AM, CentaurMan said:

So you used more than one auction house. Interesting.

as far as the “Mrs. Lincoln” thing goes, not to worry. I foresee a little bit of this in our near future . . . 

IMG_1043.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 6/30/2024 at 11:31 AM, CentaurMan said:

I believe that I perused the volume that contained them as they were part of Geppi's vast library of bound volumes.  Cover colors were incredible!

On 6/30/2024 at 1:18 PM, adamstrange said:

I believe that I perused the volume that contained them as they were part of Geppi's vast library of bound volumes.  Cover colors were incredible!

Yeah, I owned the Church copies of some of those books, and when October & I compared them to these bound copies, we basically agreed that the center-right of the bound covers were comparable in color, shine, and brightness.

But the spines… oh well (shrug)