• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

I think we can all agree that it is a great book.  I will definitely do whatever it takes to win it.  I didn't know how I would pay for it, but then I realized that the answer was right there on the book itself ... American Seeds!

When I win the book, I'll just put it on my credit card.  Once I have the book in hand I will crack it out, cut the coupons (one goes to my buddy who will give me a 10% cut of whatever he sells) and before the end of April I should have enough to pay off the credit card bill.   You have to admit that this is prime seed selling season.  The only thing that I'm not sure about, and I would like your input on is whether I should get:

a) All Flower Seeds

b) All Vegetable Seeds

c) Mixed Vegetable and Flower Seeds

Thanks for your help.

Al.

Edited by Alzabar

On 3/29/2024 at 8:04 AM, szav said:

Would be a really dumb move from CGC for a lot of reasons.

Not sure why you would think this as it should clearly be evident by now that the whole concept of their business model as envisioned by the CCG ownership group is to to find different ways to convince their customers to send the exact same book back in for additional revenue streaming services time and time again.  From strictly a business POV, this makes perfect sense as why would a business want to sell a product only once and be done with it if they can resell it multiple times to their customers who are happily lining up with their wallets wide open to pay for it.  :devil:

Think back to when pressing and other forms of what were then thought of as restoration were first outed on the boards here back in 2005.....................as long as you can show your customers that there's a potential magical pot of gold at the end of the CGC rainbow, they'll come running in droves.  And just like what we saw during the Covid time periods, not only will they come running, but they'll even be willing to wait countless months for their books to come back from CCS and CGC as long as they think there's money in there for them to scoop up.  So, why would it be any different this time since it looks like CGC has now given them another opportunity to make even a whole lot more money with this latest scam scheme here?  hm  (shrug)

It would be an implicit guarantee that they'll have to hand out more 9.9s, otherwise why would anyone ever pay the price for the screening.

Too lazy to dig through the now nearly 500 pages of posts in the ASM 252 thread to find that interview, but the part I didn't quite understand was Matt leaving the impression that there must be some 9.9's hidden there in amongst the 9.8's due to the sheer volumes.  Kind of left me with the impression that 9.9's were not part of their standard normal grading process even though it has always been listed as one of the grades in their grading standard.  Especially when he mentions that a 9.9 pre-screen will require much more time and more work on the part of the grader, and I assume hence a much more costlier service which the submittor will now be paying for.  So, puzzled as I am not sure why we have to pay for a second much more costlier service for them to determine if your book actually qualifies for a 9.9 grade when I thought they were supposed to have been be doing this all along in the first place?  :censored:

I wonder if the service would be meant more for the people who send in 100 copies of a freshly printed modern book, vs sending in SA/BA/CA books expecting 9.9s?

Yes, although I got the impression that this service would really be trying to target the MA market with all of those countless 9.8's just waiting to be resbmitted back to them at even bigger dollars, you know that a 9.9 single highest graded copy of an older key and very visible book with a huge quantity of already graded 9.8's (eg. say a GSXM 1 with over 250 copies already in 9.8) would be the ideal book to promote and hype this new service that they are about to bring to the marketplace.  Especially since it means more money for all parties involved who are willing to play along as the game gets ramped up to an even higher level.  :dollars:

On 3/29/2024 at 1:37 AM, szav said:

Would guess it’s owned by metro/CC because who would consign a book like that to them with the sorry state they’re in right now?

Is that a reference to Rob's departure and the eleventh-hour-scan fiasco? Neither seemed to hurt the prices realized on the Jon Berk and Phil Cole books that were just sold. They have a large enough customer base that there aren't going to be any deals on anything. There are too many eyes on their auctions, just like there are too many eyes on HA's auctions for anything good to fly under the radar.

On 3/30/2024 at 2:02 AM, lou_fine said:

Think back to when pressing and other forms of what were then thought of as restoration were first outed on the boards here back in 2005.....................as long as you can show your customers that there's a potential magical pot of gold at the end of the CGC rainbow, they'll come running in droves. 

The resubmission thing has been going on since before 2005. Even back in 2001 I knew guys who were sending the same books in repeatedly until they got a gift grade. I also knew a guy who cracked out a PLOD book with something minor and resubmitted it until in came back with a Universal label.

On 3/31/2024 at 4:19 AM, Gotham Kid said:

looking at the Wondercon wall pics, I see it was Metro that won the Tec 168 9.4

image.thumb.png.87fe51940b9d60ed768eb791dfebb8f2.png

Anyone know what the asking price was?

On 4/19/2024 at 9:24 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Anybody have any info on the AC1 that was sent to Metro (raw) for the upcoming auction ?

Video is on IG. Looks like a very nice copy !  :jawdrop:

Link would be nice Peter :baiting:

On 4/19/2024 at 11:24 AM, Gotham Kid said:

Anybody have any info on the AC1 that was sent to Metro (raw) for the upcoming auction ?

Video is on IG. Looks like a very nice copy !  :jawdrop:

It’s nice to see Metro is punching back

On 4/21/2024 at 9:51 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Would love to know the back story. Who the hell puts that in the mail ? I’m guessing it’s a collector up in years.  That thing shud be hand delivered. I’d fit then out or if they were too old to travel go get it myself.  Nuts ! 

Yeah that's what I was thinking. USPS? Wasn't even registered mail.

"Anything hazardous, perishible, or fragile?" "Uh yeah put a fragile stamp on the little box, maybe two if you can, just on the top". Is $50.00 insurance enough?"

"How much for $5,000,000 of insurance?" "Let me check. It'll be $398,879.21"............." No just go with the 50 bucks, I think it'll be alright". "I have it wrapped in 2 dollars worth of bubble wrap, 2 paper thin envelopes, and a piece of cardboard from the box of our new 32 inch TV". " Ok that'll be $18.05, it should get there on Thursday". "18.05, my word?" Yeah the rates went up last month". 'This used to be all orange groves far as the eye can see". 

Nuts is right CB.

Edit: I just read the posts next to the video. He said it was in a much bigger box before, even though there is a postal label on the little box we see. I'll take his word on that. Not my business anyway.  

Edited by Professor K

On 4/21/2024 at 2:37 PM, Professor K said:

Edit: I just read the posts next to the video. He said it was in a much bigger box before, even though there is a postal label on the little box we see. I'll take his word on that. Not my business anyway.  

You'll take a comic dealer's word for something? Dealers must love you! lol