• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,236 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2024 at 1:26 AM, Professor K said:

I know right? When it rains it pours. Shakespeare wrote "you can't have too much of a good thing", but he never saw all these awesome books coming to auction.ย 

I think you're going to see quite a few auctions with nice material in the coming years. Most of the guys who built nice collections in the 70s, 80s, and 90s are getting to the age where they're going to be cashing in their chips, so to speak.

The one that surprised me earlier this year was Phil Cole; I thought he was a bit young to exit the hobby. 65โ€“70 is typical; I think Phil was about 60.

On 9/2/2024 at 8:52 AM, aardvark88 said:

cConnect auctioning off 1,200 GA from Ruben Blades's collection soon including Catmans, rare Green Giant (Penguin) 1 plus Nic Cage and Church copies:

ย 

Well, here's one they won't have ...

image.thumb.jpeg.e35ac022c17ec46fb40c1e729b486f4f.jpeg

ย 

ย 

I'mย  convinced this is one (sold in 2012) is actually the same comic, prior to having work done on it and being reholdered (evidently the detached centerfold compensated for the cleanup and there was no net grade bump - overall I think it was worth it.)

Note the dust shadow lower right and the ticks mid-spine (upper one around August and about a 1/2" below that)

image.thumb.jpeg.3a2adafb6b3dc0fab1b9b3b77bed650d.jpeg

On 9/5/2024 at 9:07 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I think you're going to see quite a few auctions with nice material in the coming years. Most of the guys who built nice collections in the 70s, 80s, and 90s are getting to the age where they're going to be cashing in their chips, so to speak.

The one that surprised me earlier this year was Phil Cole; I thought he was a bit young to exit the hobby. 65โ€“70 is typical; I think Phil was about 60.

It will be quite telling if the prices do not drift downward as all this locked up material comes to market.ย  I would like to infer that to mean there is another generation coming along that values these beautiful time capsules and is willing to spend $ for them.

Some prices do seem to be coming down from the insane valuations of 2022-2023 (can you say Promise collection xD), but on the other hand, some things are just exploding and hitting record prices.

And then there are the pulps ...

image.thumb.png.4ea04dd126c5f894e3094ffebdb29359.png

and ...

image.thumb.png.6b1232385c6958dc76727a4714e4dedb.png

Neither of which reached their reserve prices.

A year ago I bought ungraded copies of each from CC in 5.0 (a CC 5.0, maybe a 4.0 - 4.5) -ย  for about $20.ย  CRAZY!ย  :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

On 9/5/2024 at 11:58 PM, kent allard said:

It will be quite telling if the prices do not drift downward as all this locked up material comes to market.ย  I would like to infer that to mean there is another generation coming along that values these beautiful time capsules and is willing to spend $ for them.

Some prices do seem to be coming down from the insane valuations of 2022-2023 (can you say Promise collection xD), but on the other hand, some things are just exploding and hitting record prices.

And then there are the pulps ...

image.thumb.png.4ea04dd126c5f894e3094ffebdb29359.png

and ...

image.thumb.png.6b1232385c6958dc76727a4714e4dedb.png

Neither of which reached their reserve prices.

A year ago I bought ungraded copies of each from CC in 5.0 (a CC 5.0, maybe a 4.0 - 4.5) -ย  for about $20.ย  CRAZY!ย  :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I wouldn't infer anything about comic books one way or the other based on what pulps are doing. Pulps have never been collected on the same scale. (As much as I like some of the covers, I've never collected pulps and don't intend to. I can barely afford one hobby let alone two.)

On 9/5/2024 at 10:24 PM, kent allard said:

Well, here's one they won't have ...

image.thumb.jpeg.e35ac022c17ec46fb40c1e729b486f4f.jpeg

ย 

ย 

I'mย  convinced this is one (sold in 2012) is actually the same comic, prior to having work done on it and being reholdered (evidently the detached centerfold compensated for the cleanup and there was no net grade bump - overall I think it was worth it.)

Note the dust shadow lower right and the ticks mid-spine (upper one around August and about a 1/2" below that)

image.thumb.jpeg.3a2adafb6b3dc0fab1b9b3b77bed650d.jpeg

ย 

What was done to it?ย  Clean the cover?ย  That color pop on the later edition just seems to be due to scanner settings or photo adjustments.ย  Or at least some of it definitely is.ย  I'd be curious to see what it would look like in person.ย  In any case, they definitely look to be the same comic.

Edited by Telegan

On 9/6/2024 at 5:44 PM, Telegan said:

ย 

What was done to it?ย  Clean the cover?ย  That color pop on the later edition just seems to be due to scanner settings or photo adjustments.ย  Or at least some of it definitely is.ย  I'd be curious to see what it would look like in person.ย  In any case, they definitely look to be the same comic.

Why does it have a new number?ย  I imagine a detached cover would have knocked it down .5, but then a cover clean bumped it back up, and the two factors triggered/justified a new number. ย  Who knows? (shrug)

I'll need to dig it up and try to take my own photo of it.ย  Will update ...

On 9/6/2024 at 10:10 PM, kent allard said:

Why does it have a new number?ย  I imagine a detached cover would have knocked it down .5, but then a cover clean bumped it back up, and the two factors triggered/justified a new number. ย  Who knows? (shrug)

I'll need to dig it up and try to take my own photo of it.ย  Will update ...

Because it was a resubmission as opposed to a re-holder.ย 

On 9/7/2024 at 3:54 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

This is one I am so excited to see auctioned off i can hardly contain myself haha!! GPA has one singular recorded sale EVER and it was the Berk copy back in 2017. Still only 5 copies on the census. I owned and sold the 0.5 to a boardie and own the 2.0. I have seen the Mile High copy obviously and have WONDERED what the other 2 copies presented like for years and this copy is no slouch! Any predictions? The near perfect Berk/Mile High 9.0 brought in $7500 which i thought was a great 7 or so years ago. This will be a good barometer to see where some of these rarities stand. Amazing auction for sureย 

IMG_3220.jpeg

That's an awfully nice looking copy for a 3.0.ย  I wonder how it would have graded had it not been missing a coupon.