• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

I was originally concerned about losing my watch list but now it seems they did us one better and we can view virtually any sale which is so cool. Hats off to @metropoliscomics for giving us this information as they could certainly charge for it. It’s not just grades it’s pics too that is what is so exciting as we all know when we use sites like GPA you are getting an idea but really have no clue what the actual book presented like and we all know by now not every book in the same grade are created equal.

btw there is at least 1 book I plan on winning :whistle:

Edited by gino2paulus2

9 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I was originally concerned about losing my watch list but now it seems they did us one better and we can view virtually any sale which is so cool.

Not sure what you are exactly referring to here?  ???

Are you referring to their previous auction results and non-auction sales results?  hm

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Are you referring to their previous auction results and non-auction sales results?  hm

Previous auction sales correct if you use the sold tab it brings it all up. I looked up a couple books i’ve won and many that i’ve lost and sure enough they were there. As far as their Metropolis sales not sure honestly i’m sure someone knows though but i’m sure they’ve made many private sales that won’t be listed on there and I respect that not all folks buying with discretion want their sales data known. I’m not one of those people but that’s just speculation. I did say virtually any sale so my apologies for the wording but i meant in context of auction stuff I’ve added to my watch list over the years and that was hundreds if not thousands of books now I can just type in a book and see results and the book which I thought was neat.

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:
4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Previous auction sales correct if you use the sold tab it brings it all up. I looked up a couple books i’ve won and many that i’ve lost and sure enough they were there.

They always had the Sold tab even on their old auction website.  It was just located on the left hand side of their main page right at the bottom.  :gossip:

The only problem is that it had not been updated for their past few auctions and this latest revamp they did seems to have finally brought their so-called auction "archives" up-to-date.  I know that the results for the Berk Auction were in there along with the ones for a few more of the Event Auctions after that, but then not so much after that.  :taptaptap:  :frustrated:

The thing I didn't like about it is that it is not as user friendly as the HA archives since you can't see the date or final price until you actually click onto the listing.  The other thing I don't like and what I was hoping they might have fixed with their revamp (but they didn't) was to have a date included for their non-auction sales.  Still, better than no archives at all and it's certainly nice to see that they finally brought it up-to-date.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

They always had the Sold tab even on their old auction website.  It was just located on the left hand side of their main page right at the bottom.  :gossip:

The only problem is that it had not been updated for their past few auctions and this latest revamp they did seems to have finally brought their so-called auction "archives" up-to-date.  I know that the results for the Berk Auction were in there along with the ones for a few more of the Event Auctions after that, but then not so much after that.  :taptaptap:  :frustrated:

The thing I didn't like about it is that it is not as user friendly as the HA archives since you can't see the date or final price until you actually click onto the listing.  The other thing I don't like and what I was hoping they might have fixed with their revamp (but they didn't) was to have a date included for their non-auction sales.  Still, better than no archives at all and it's certainly nice to see that they finally brought it up-to-date.  :applause:

that’s crazy how did I never see that before 😂 I do agree with your recommendations 100% and the Heritage ones are top notch for sure boy i hope they don’t do an upgrade anytime soon hahaha!!

3 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

that’s crazy how did I never see that before 😂 I do agree with your recommendations 100% and the Heritage ones are top notch for sure boy i hope they don’t do an upgrade anytime soon hahaha!!

That's totally understandable as they simply had way too much garbage and useless tabs all over their Main page and definitely hard to see unless you knew where to look for the Sold tab.  I only found out about it because a boardie had pointed it out to me.  (thumbsu

Even then, it was still not as easy to use as this newest revamp version with you needing only to enter the title and issue number of the book which you are searching for, as opposed to doing this on a page populated with countless other unncessary fields which you didn't actually have to fill in.   O.o

The part that I found rather odd is the fact that they have automated links at the bottom of the auction listing to all other available copies of the same book which they currently have for sale in their inventory.  Definitely handy for potential bidders since it gives them a good idea what other copies of the same book are going for and kind of gives them an idea of the max price they should probably be bidding.  hm

Not sure if this feature is in place just for this particular Event Auction only, since I believe this auction is generally for non-consigned books as a test of their new auction site.  I highly doubt rational consignors would ever want to consign books to an auction site which then uses their consigned book to promote all other competing copies which the auction house currently has available for sale from within their vast inventory database.  :screwy:  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/28/2020 at 10:59 PM, batman_fan said:

For me, if I got the money I would spend it on liquor and hookers and then waste the rest.

I was going to ask you if your name was Jay Maybruck, but I don't think he stopped at liquor.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/30/2020 at 10:50 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

I was originally concerned about losing my watch list but now it seems they did us one better and we can view virtually any sale which is so cool. Hats off to @metropoliscomics for giving us this information as they could certainly charge for it. It’s not just grades it’s pics too that is what is so exciting as we all know when we use sites like GPA you are getting an idea but really have no clue what the actual book presented like and we all know by now not every book in the same grade are created equal.

btw there is at least 1 book I plan on winning :whistle:

I believe go collect has pics 

23 hours ago, szav said:

Not only have they skimped on their website, they're now using cheaper shipping materials on raw books despite charging the same shipping prices.  Bought a couple raw books, and it looks like someone drove a truck over the flimsy cardboard packaging they now use.  The books which were in F/VF range look like someone punched them in the face.

Were these books which you had ordered after this whole Coronavirus fiasco started back in March?  hm

If so, my bet is that it's most likely due to the Stay At Home order which is in place for NYC, as I heard that everybody is basically working from home except for Vinnie and one other person.  Maybe, that's why we are getting bombarded with spam mail from them on an almost daily basis since Vinnie is probably getting totally bored to death sitting in the office pretty much by his lonesome self.  zzz

I certainly wouldn't think that Vinnie is much of a packaging and shipping expert if you really expect him to do that type of work while everybody else in the shipping department is either furloughed or whatever status they are on.  (shrug)

Speaking of daily spam mail, looks like I finally got one yesterday with a picture of one of the few nicer GA books in an Event Auction that definitely seems to be a bit on the light side for the vintage GA comic book collector:

sus3.184_2.jpg

For me, this first issue here with the Quinlan cover seem to laid the groundwork and a hint of what was to come a couple of issues later with the classic Schomburg cover.  :luhv:

It will be interesting to see what this issue of Suspense Comics 1 goes for next week in light of Mitch's @Mmehdy Coronavirus doomsday forecast for GA books, especially since this book usually always tends to sell for a nice healthy multiple to condition guide.  hm  :taptaptap: 

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I certainly wouldn't think that Vinnie is much of a packaging and shipping expert if you really expect him to do that type of work while everybody else in the shipping department is either furloughed or whatever status they are on. 

Vinnie was another small time dealer before he teamed up with Fishler, so he damn well better know how to package and ship properly. 

As the saying goes, "the buck stops here", so if CC are doing a bad job of packaging and shipping, whether it's him doing it directly or not, then as one of the co-leaders of CC, he's responsible.  And if it's because sub-standard packing materials are being used, then again that falls on him. 

Well, looks like first day of the supposedly big CC Event Auction is scheduled to start hitting the 3-minute buzzer in a few short hours from now and everything seems to be a lot quieter than normal.  hm

Not sure if it's to do with their new auction website design or the current bad economic times we seem to be in (although you certainly can't tell from the stock markets :whatthe:  :screwy:), but prices still appear to be on the low side for now, except for the odd books like this one here which is already at $67K with the extended bidding still to go:

act1.15496_2.jpg

Looks like the Centaurs in the form of the later Amazing Mystery Funnies are still running red hot for now at multiples to condition to guide already with several hours still to go, and definitely not suffering much in this current negative business environment to date so far.  (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like first day of the supposedly big CC Event Auction is scheduled to start hitting the 3-minute buzzer in a few short hours from now and everything seems to be a lot quieter than normal.  hm

Not sure if it's to do with their new auction website design or the current bad economic times we seem to be in (although you certainly can't tell from the stock markets :whatthe:  :screwy:), but prices still appear to be on the low side for now, except for the odd books like this one here which is already at $67K with the extended bidding still to go:

act1.15496_2.jpg

Looks like the Centaurs in the form of the later Amazing Mystery Funnies are still running red hot for now at multiples to condition to guide already with several hours still to go, and definitely not suffering much in this current negative business environment to date so far.  (thumbsu

This is a crazy price, and can only assume its due to the obvious:  its THE court copy.  Endlessly cool

5 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This is a crazy price, and can only assume its due to the obvious:  its THE court copy.  Endlessly cool

At first glance, this would appear to be the case if you take a look at the HA archives, but then again, maybe not so much considering that CC was able to fetched $107K for this copy here back at the end of 2018 in one of their CC Event Auctions:  hm  :applause:

act1.14354a.jpg

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

At first glance, this would appear to be the case if you take a look at the HA archives, but then again, maybe not so much considering that CC was able to fetched $107K for this copy here back at the end of 2018 in one of their CC Event Auctions

I don't understand that. The GPA says this "Court Copy" of Action 10 went for $45k in 2012.  Then I see 6 years later in 2018 there was a 3.0 that went for the price you named above.  GPA doesn't dub the 2018 book as the "Court Copy", but that makes more sense now.  If that's the case, then this price is the opposite of crazy high.  It's crazy low.  Sheesh, I'd been watching this one.

You are finding this info in CC archives?

20 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You are finding this info in CC archives?

Yes, it's in the CC archives as per the following link:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/774946

This one here is NOT the Court Copy, as it is a different copy graded slightly higher at a grade of CGC 3.5.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

4 minutes ago, sagii said:

Since they extended the Sunday Auctions at HA to two days, it's weird flipping back and forth between HA and CC tonight :juggle:

Well, at least the HA one tonight is limited only to the original art portion and not also to the comic books. (thumbsu

I still remember a couple of times last year when CL would run their comic book auctions on the same overlapping days as the big CC Event auctions.  :frustrated:  doh!