• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,482 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

I've contemplated picking up the two Claremont-Lee Omnis to (eventually) have a continual UXM run but haven't bit the bullet. At this point, I may as well go all in.

I have V1-3, Uncanny XForce, New X-Men, Astonishing, and HOX/POX OHC.

DC hasn't printed any of the Golden/Silver Age TPBs in about a year. The only upcoming one I'm seeing is Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Vol. 3 this year. :(

They're supposed to print 2 TPBs for every 1 Omnibus that they've released, and they haven't caught up on the titles I'm collecting, yet.

Hey, gang -- I think I'd like to give Instock Trades a try. I'm interested in the upcoming Doctor Aphra omnibus. I managed to put it on my wishlist, but what does it mean when they say "product information not found"?

35 minutes ago, MisterX said:

Hey, gang -- I think I'd like to give Instock Trades a try. I'm interested in the upcoming Doctor Aphra omnibus. I managed to put it on my wishlist, but what does it mean when they say "product information not found"?

I'm not seeing it on their Coming Soon list. Maybe they couldn't order any?

55 minutes ago, Kramerica said:

44679323-3E4A-4E63-AFFF-33CC89AA52DD.thumb.jpeg.f8970d14f4024fc7fbb1186a2ded1cfb.jpeg

:cloud9:

I thought about getting this one, but with limited shelf space, I opted for the HOM’s only.

41 minutes ago, Kramerica said:

What can we remove to make room for it? 

I know right? I need to buy another book shelf!

On 3/5/2021 at 10:49 AM, Angel of Death said:

I'm not seeing it on their Coming Soon list. Maybe they couldn't order any?

Yeah, I dunno. That could explain it, I guess. 

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

@Ken Aldred, IIRC, it was you who told me that you weren't impressed by PS Artbooks' Harvey Horrors reprints?

I just want to say that I certainly am impressed. It feels like I'm reading bound NM copies of 20th century comics. 2c

Each to their own.

For me, not even close.

Just now, Angel of Death said:

Are you able to elaborate? I don't own any floppies pre-1970, so I can't be sure what differences there may be.

I only have a couple of them, but I thought the off-colour paper stock looked a bit artificial, nothing like even the dulled, slightly greyish tone in late 70s comics, or better quality snow-white newsprint.

Maybe an attempt to introduce an aged, yellowing or browning effect similar to Night Shift’s on iPad when I read digitally.

Nor did I think the reproduction was that crisp, and a bit dark in the copies I own.

I also wasn’t that impressed with the stories and art generally, which is why I stopped very quickly.  Spoiled by my EC hardcovers, I would guess.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

I only have a couple of them, but I thought the off-colour paper stock looked a bit artificial, nothing like even the dulled, slightly greyish tone in late 70s comics, or better quality snow-white newsprint.

Maybe an attempt to introduce an aged, yellowing or browning effect similar to Night Shift’s on iPad when I read digitally.

Nor did I think the reproduction was that crisp, and a bit dark in the copies I own.

I also wasn’t that impressed with the stories and art generally, which is why I stopped very quickly.  Spoiled by my EC hardcovers, I would guess.

I am personally commenting on the quality of the reprint, and not the art/stories themselves, just FYI.

My main concern was what quality of clarity the artwork and writing would be. Sometimes reprints can have blurred imaging. As far as Chamber of Chills goes, each book has been crystal clear without any sort of blurring.

I thought that the paper color might be something you were critiquing. I can understand that. Thanks for your insight!

On 3/5/2021 at 10:12 AM, MisterX said:

IST's system is kinda of odd, in that once the release week approaches, items seem to disappear from the "coming soon" list. I'm assuming it's something triggered by the arrival of the Diamond notice for that week's shipments, and the item is being converted from "coming soon" to "in stock". I'm not sure. Regardless, it happens every week, and they have the Dr. Aphra Omnibus now, it's up for sale,so go get it!

Edited by F For Fake

This guy finally arrived this weekend. I swear, those two or three weeks that got screwed up by weather related shipping delays really messed with my mind, I couldn't keep track of anything at all. I was determined to get the DM variant (the JR Jr cover) but due to my confusion, I missed it, and had to settle for the regular cover. In this instance, the retail cover is still pretty nice, so I guess I won't gripe TOO much.

Got my order in for Claremont/Lee vol 2 in today. When I placed the order, the cover art hadn't uploaded yet, and I ordered the DM variant, as I assumed that was the "black bars" version. That was the version I originally had on the first printing, so that's what I wanted this time. When I went back this afternoon to see how things are selling, it looked like I got the wrong cover, the Jim Lee Wolvie "closeup" shot. (Not a bad cover per se, just not the one I preferred.) But then I was reading on the MMW forum that apparently IST has the images switched, so maybe I'll get the right one??? Who knows. 

Looks like OHMU Omni was pushed back again, and X-Men Inferno has been pushed back yet another week, to the 24th. Will be very happy to get that volume, and the eventual UXM Vol 5 and reprint of Fall of the Mutants, and then I'll be DONE with the X-Men. Huzzah!

IMG_9729.JPG

IMG_9730.JPG

On 3/6/2021 at 2:01 PM, piper said:

I know right? I need to buy another book shelf!

The Secrets/Mysteries omnis are worth another shelf! They're really nice, four of the best volumes DC has released.

16 minutes ago, piper said:

@F For Fake, I'm sorry to hear that the Official Handbook Omni is delayed.  I can't wait to flip through that one.  As I mentioned before, I never was able to complete my set back in the 80's.

I think the new date is next week. Will definitely be keeping my eyes open. Very excited about this one and the DC Who’s Who as well!