• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whats the best scanner to use for slabbed books

61 posts in this topic

I use the HP Officejet 7110 All-In-One.

I got the HP 5510 All-in-One and it does not scan slabs well. I must have bought the only HP scanner that doesn't work with slabs. 893censored-thumb.gif The same fuzzy [embarrassing lack of self control] I had with my CanoScan. frustrated.giffrustrated.gif

I read somewhere that the scanning light type it what makes the difference...

Most "slim" type scanners use a scanner light (Three-color RGB LEDs) that don't offer any field of depth, thus fuzzy scans of objects suspended above the scanner glass. Whereas, the old school flourescent lamp scanners work well with slabs.

My 3 1/2 year old HP Scanjet 3500c fried when I tried to start it today. Smelled like toast and a complete loss. Nothing bad had happened to it - just suddenly died.

Decided to upgrade to a model that could fit complete slabs. After searching the boards and ruling out anything but HP, I went and got a Scanjet 8300. Paid ~$550 at the local Fry's but am sure it can be found cheaper. The results are very nice: standard GA slabs fit easily with plenty of room left over, the scanning is faster (~30 sec. for 1,500x2,500 incl. preview), quality is excellent, and the software is better. Resizing images gives ok results (the old 3500c program did a horrible job and I had to switch to Photoshop every time!) and there's a better workflow for making multiple scans after each other.

After playing with the 8300, I regret not upgrading much sooner. Would have saved a lot of painful waiting time and frustrations with poor software. Also, the complete scans look more professional. Seems to me that the extra $400 would be an excellent investment for anyone scanning slabbed books regularly.

Note: I compressed the images below with the same jpg compression. Original scans are much better, of course. All my scans have much better colors with the 8300.

Scanjet 3500c (compressed jpg - 80 Kb):

fc178_90_1000.jpg

Scanjet 8300 (compressed jpg - 80 Kb):

fc178_90_1000_8300.jpg

Scanjet 8300 (original jpg - 1 Mb):

fc178_90_nocomp2.jpg

Really Nice Clean Scan!!

Question: I have an HP and I do like my scans but, when I either email them to people or post them on boards or on eBay, they come out smaller than the images shown in the examples above.

Is there a setting in the HP director or another way for me to post scans in a larger manner similar to those in this thread?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Really Nice Clean Scan!!

Question: I have an HP and I do like my scans but, when I either email them to people or post them on boards or on eBay, they come out smaller than the images shown in the examples above.

Is there a setting in the HP director or another way for me to post scans in a larger manner similar to those in this thread?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Email - Outlook express will automatically resize your pics unless you select "keep original size" when sending pics

posting - Depending on how you are hosting your pics, some services will resize them if the are too bog(different hosts have different guidelines)

It comes down to knowing the dimensions and files sizes of the pics you are working with and who allows what.

Hope that helps,

Mike

Decided to upgrade to a model that could fit complete slabs. After searching the boards and ruling out anything but HP, I went and got a Scanjet 8300. Paid ~$550 at the local Fry's but am sure it can be found cheaper. The results are very nice: standard GA slabs fit easily with plenty of room left over, the scanning is faster (~30 sec. for 1,500x2,500 incl. preview), quality is excellent, and the software is better.

Since you got a bigger and better scanner how about scanning some of your Barks originals... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

poke2.gif

That was kind of an apples to oranges comparison...

The HP 3500 scan was 70k.

The HP 8300 scan was 400k.

You can get similar quality with lower model HP scanners... getting a $500 scanner is not necessary.

I just bought an older HP7310 and it's fine for scanning slabs and whatnot. This is an All-in-One model that retails (and lists) for under $400.

The 8300 DOES do 4800x4800 dpi while the 7310 only does 2400x4800 dpi. Ypu probably won't notice the difference really though.

The main problem is finding a true legal-size scanner, not the resolution.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question689.htm

I've been really happy with my Canon 8400F scanner for camera negatives, prints, and artwork. I recently got my first couple slabs and thought I'd give them a scan. The scanner bed has a maximum document size of 8.5" x 11.7" so it's just a couple inches short of being able to do a full scan in one pass. There's a nice little nubbin which conveniently allows you to make a scan like this:

x-men132-90-front.jpg

I did this scan at 150dpi using the standard settings in the Canon scan program. I then reduced the image size by 50% (to give an approximate horizontal dimension of 600 pixels) and did a "save for web" optimization routine in Adobe Photoshop CS to bring the file size to about 400kb.

If I were to sell a slab, I'd probably scan the label and the book separately and stich them together, but this is fine for a preview. I've been sufficiently happy with this that I can recommend it to anyone looking for a nice scanner. I got it for around $114 with free shipping from Newegg.com. I just checked and it's going for a little more now but they have sales with free shipping at times.

Hope this helps,

Bob