• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ginger 4 is the new Archie 50
3 3

134 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

All I can say is that I certainly wish I was that fellow boardie who had brought it way back then.  :bigsmile:

I assume that must be the CGC 9.4 graded copy that is showing up in the census then, as the other 2 copies besides these two are much lower graded copies.

Do you remember what it sold for back then because I am 100% sure that it would go for multiples of whatever he had paid back then.  hm

Yes, that's the one. And I remember that it sold for under $500 :) I didn't bid on the book because I was focused on several others.

I hope he hung onto it.

I won't mention any names, but I will say that he is known for having... neat stuff. ;)

:baiting:

Edited by Mr. Lady Luck

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since the Cindy 37 is way up there in the stratosphere in terms of pricing and they seem to show up quite frequently in these auctions recently, the one that I would go with would be this one here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Junie Prom Comics #5 (Dearfield, 1949) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Cream tooff-white pages....

Looks like this book here came out several months prior to the Cindy 37 and is definitely much tougher to find since a meagre total of only 4 copies have been slabbed after all this time.  hm

Definitely at a much lower price point than the Cindy 37, but the real trick, I imagine, is to find one.  Especially since the Heritage archives indicates this is the only slabbed copy plus another low grade raw copy which they have ever sold, while Metro/CC indicates no copies as having ever been sold in their archives.  :luhv:  :takeit:

The Metro/CC archives are not complete--I know that because some books that I've watched or bid on are not in there--but it may be scarce. Then again, it may just be that the guide value is too low for people to bother slabbing it.

1 hour ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

All I can say is that I certainly wish I was that fellow boardie who had brought it way back then.  :bigsmile:

I assume that must be the CGC 9.4 graded copy that is showing up in the census then, as the other 2 copies besides these two are much lower graded copies.

Do you remember what it sold for back then because I am 100% sure that it would go for multiples of whatever he had paid back then.  hm

Yes, that's the one. And I remember that it sold for under $500 :) I didn't bid on the book because I was focused on several others.

I hope he hung onto it.

I won't mention any names, but I will say that he is known for having... neat stuff. ;)

:baiting:

Absolutely no idea who in the world you would be talking about here.  ???

I guess I should really get a hold of somebody in the know here like Rickneatstuff if I am ever going to unravel this deep mystery.  lol

1 hour ago, asm_collector66 said:

Funny story..

im the buyer for the Ginger 4 that went for $1250. I’ve wanted one for a looooong time and have missed out on several. They really don’t come up very often. There’s not even a recorded sale for a graded copy at gpa that I can see. Anyway...

in the last few seconds, i knew it was going to go high, so i decided to put a max bid of $900 on it. Well my fat fingers accidentally hit an extra 0 ($9000) and before I could back out...the auction ended. There were others who wanted it badly as well. It jumped up in the matter of about 4-5 seconds from like $575 to $1250

I decided to go ahead and pay for it and get it...and it is beautiful. Going to get it cleaned and pressed and graded to display beside my Archie 50

Derek

p.s. - someone has a raw copy up on eBay for $1200 if anyone wants it :p

I've done the finger slip before :cry:.  

Well.... it's good to know that a couple other bidders were going high as well.  Are you going to grade it or keep it raw?

The raw Ginger 1 at $1200.  Hmmmm..... bad stain on back cover, and rusty staple.  I'm going to pass on that one.

Yours looks good, congrats.

12 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Yea someone is selling a Ginger VG- for $1200..  I paid $600 USD last year for my VG Archie 50 . I guess i am lucky

I don't think I would even grade that as a 4.0.

It's like Ginger 4 just leapfrogged Archie 50.

I have a feeling Archie 50 is going to make another surge.

49 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I've done the finger slip before :cry:.  

Well.... it's good to know that a couple other bidders were going high as well.  Are you going to grade it or keep it raw?

The raw Ginger 1 at $1200.  Hmmmm..... bad stain on back cover, and rusty staple.  I'm going to pass on that one.

Yours looks good, congrats.

Yes - my plans are to press, clean and submit. I think it could anywhere between 4.0-5.0

With all due respect to any book becoming the next Archie 50 or as other books have adopted, a poor mans Archie 50, Archie 50 still has yet to become the Phantom Lady 17, the Reform School Girl nn, or the Brenda Starr 14 etc. These 3,books and possibly other noted Classic GGA covers continuously break $15k at grades of 8.0. I’ve attached census numbers below for comparison. Not sure I have caught an Archie 50 in 8.0 break 1/2 of what these others are fetching. Nobody talks about these books as much as Archie 50 either. Not sure it will ever get there, but the rarity in grade in comparison along with the demand sure doesn’t justify its value. 

7051BCD6-8A09-44DA-BADE-5B5FA67128EB.jpeg

3332CEE6-B3DB-43F0-B02E-3FA375460D4C.jpeg

D6A5A092-CC10-4C70-8DB0-BA8E8D373841.jpeg

DB573E46-2B09-430D-B118-BD8C8FE76004.jpeg

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

the rarity in grade in comparison along with the demand sure doesn’t justify its value.

Not sure I understand your point?  Given what else you’ve written it could  mean high grade Archie 50’s are undervalued and still have room to grow!

3 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Not sure I understand your point?  Given what else you’ve written it could  mean high grade Archie 50’s are undervalued and still have room to grow!

In a roundabout way, that’s where I was going. Archie 50 in comparison...in high grade (8.0 or better) with its demand, should be on equal terms price wise. Not half. 

29 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

In a roundabout way, that’s where I was going. Archie 50 in comparison...in high grade (8.0 or better) with its demand, should be on equal terms price wise. Not half. 

I think it's going to be catching up.  Demand seems to be way higher than supply.  Although I still can't figure out how Rick got that 7.5 for $3720