• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink, Comic Connect, Heritage, etcetera... Wins...
34 34

2,608 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2024 at 4:34 PM, LordRahl said:

:banana::banana:

xmen6.jpg

I'll never understand why, but certain Silver Age books seem to be tougher to find in OW/W or WP than others, even in high grade.  For whatever reason, in my experience this is one of them.  Beautiful copy, frankly hard to see where it falls short of 9.4.  Congrats!

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 9/17/2024 at 9:18 PM, batman_fan said:

I won one of my favorite Batman's.  First saw the cover at my grandma's house.  She was a janitor at a grade school.  At the end of the school year the teachers would throw out all the stuff they confiscated during the school year and my grandma would bring it home.  Everything would go to my cousin but sometimes I would get to look at what he hadn't taken home yet.  This was one of those books.  I thought it was the coolest cover ever. 

batman209.jpeg

Now, that's a cool "collecting" story. :D

On 9/17/2024 at 10:18 PM, batman_fan said:

I won one of my favorite Batman's.  First saw the cover at my grandma's house.  She was a janitor at a grade school.  At the end of the school year the teachers would throw out all the stuff they confiscated during the school year and my grandma would bring it home.  Everything would go to my cousin but sometimes I would get to look at what he hadn't taken home yet.  This was one of those books.  I thought it was the coolest cover ever. 

batman209.jpeg

That’s a super tough book in grade! Nice one.

On 9/17/2024 at 6:55 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'll never understand why, but certain Silver Age books seem to be tougher to find in OW/W or WP than others, even in high grade.  For whatever reason, in my experience this is one of them.  Beautiful copy, frankly hard to see where it falls short of 9.4.  Congrats!

I've noticed this as well. A couple of early JIM's are like this, can't recall the numbers off the top of my head. Maybe it's the paper it was printed on was never all that white to begin with(shrug)

On 9/18/2024 at 11:56 AM, LordRahl said:
On 9/17/2024 at 9:55 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I've noticed this as well. A couple of early JIM's are like this, can't recall the numbers off the top of my head. Maybe it's the paper it was printed on was never all that white to begin with(shrug)

I've noticed the same thing. Something about the paper is different some months or even between issues printed the same month. 

For example, something I've personally noticed, and this is all anecdotal but it seems to be true over a large sample size, is that some early books are also more common with nice PQ than surrounding issues.

JIM #83 and Hulk #1, both very similar mid 1962 books seem to be more available with nicer PQ than surrounding issues in my experience.

What's even more strange is that JIM #83 and AF #15 are both July 1962 books, and yet JIM #83 in my experience generally has preserved the paper better over time than AF #15. Again, just an observation over a large sample size, and I could be totally wrong. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/17/2024 at 9:01 PM, Telegan said:

I hate when I miss out on a book I wanted because I'm too busy surfing the webz looking for how Snickers candy bar got its name.  The knowledge wasn't worth the missed comic. :(

Now I'm curious.