• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oldest Original Owner Collection
1 1

80 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, originalisbest said:

Marty, do the next best thing, like R.Cat Conrad does -- a small, distinguished label placed onto the slab label area that defines it as your book/your collection.

Another neat thing to do, if you are so inclined, would be to record on a piece of paper kept with the book -- or a sticker on the back of the ones you've slabbed -- noting the time and place you acquired them. :)

Also post a picture of yourself downing a frosty mug of beer while cruising the seas..like Cat does.

5 hours ago, originalisbest said:

Marty, do the next best thing, like R.Cat Conrad does -- a small, distinguished label placed onto the slab label area that defines it as your book/your collection.

Another neat thing to do, if you are so inclined, would be to record on a piece of paper kept with the book -- or a sticker on the back of the ones you've slabbed -- noting the time and place you acquired them. :)

This is a great idea, Marty. Whether you decide to sell your collection when the time comes or if they are destined for your sons, or other relatives, I am certain that your notation on each would just add to the emotional value. One of the reasons I love collecting Golden Age comics is to get the feel of life and humor of the time.  Your recollection related to each book would be an amazing read.:foryou:

It wouldn't be the oldest original owner collection.  All of the pedigree collections seem to be older.  Raymond Miller had an older collection but he purchased many editions long after they were published.  The Mile HIgh collection and Larson's are much older.  How many of those old collectors are still alive.  Very few I would say.  I am pretty old (almost the same age as Berk) but Marty is older.  I have only a few golden age that weren't purchased in the eighties or nineties.  You could be the oldest collector with a collection purchased at the local newsstand. 

2 hours ago, BB-Gun said:

It wouldn't be the oldest original owner collection.  All of the pedigree collections seem to be older.  Raymond Miller had an older collection but he purchased many editions long after they were published.  The Mile HIgh collection and Larson's are much older.  How many of those old collectors are still alive.  Very few I would say.  I am pretty old (almost the same age as Berk) but Marty is older.  I have only a few golden age that weren't purchased in the eighties or nineties.  You could be the oldest collector with a collection purchased at the local newsstand. 

I think the question is oldest OO collection among boardies.  

9 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I think the question is oldest OO collection among boardies.  

Thank you!  I know there are older collections as mine only begins in 1942...but I was just curious to know if any other living

Original Owners are out there still in possession of their collection.

Marty

I was just clarifying because I think @BB-Gun might've misread; he's a great boardie that I do not mean to offend! 

Marty, there might be older ones out there somewhere, but I doubt there's one on here. (I doubt there's one out there too, I just don't know how to call the question definitively!)

Thanks for sharing your books with us in here. Were you ever at any point/are you now a back issue collector of any sort, or is your collection strictly your original, off the racks books?

26 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I was just clarifying because I think @BB-Gun might've misread; he's a great boardie that I do not mean to offend! 

Marty, there might be older ones out there somewhere, but I doubt there's one on here. (I doubt there's one out there too, I just don't know how to call the question definitively!)

Thanks for sharing your books with us in here. Were you ever at any point/are you now a back issue collector of any sort, or is your collection strictly your original, off the racks books?

I appreciate your interest in my collection...I truly enjoy sharing scans of my books with the collecting

community.  All of the Golden Age comics in my collection were purchased by me "Off The Racks".

Marty

42 minutes ago, originalisbest said:

Yeah, you never know, there might be a super-collector like Marty out there, still enjoying the books he or she bought off the stands in the late 30s or early 40s, but simply aren't on these boards. But until they are, Marty's the current "longest-time, active original owner" king! :)

THANK YOU! 

Marty

14 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

Thank you!  I know there are older collections as mine only begins in 1942...but I was just curious to know if any other living

Marty

I am aware of one locally that goes back to 1938 that the OO still owns. I can't say anything more about it, but the books are in very nice shape. (thumbsu

There was another one in town that a LCS owner appraised for insurance purposes (the Action 1 and Tec 27 were well read GD/GD+ copies) about a decade ago, but I do not know if the owner sold it or is still alive.

Edited by kimik

I mentioned earlier how nice it is for MM to be here and share his memories.  I remember attending the Henschel auction in Wichita.  I spoke with them and it is always fascinating to hear about the history of the books.  I think they were actually Mrs. Henschel's books.  I won a few books.  There was a Supes 1 there but I think it was graded as .5.  Geppi nabbed a lot of the books in the first of the auctions.  It was fun and I wish I had more money then and now :cry: 

12 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

Marty

There could be an older original owner who has a long-forgotten collection in the bottom of a steamer trunk, underneath some boxes of Red Rose Tea trading cards, but I doubt there are many older original owners out there who are still active in the hobby in any way.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 1/24/2019 at 5:54 AM, Marty Mann said:

Marty

I am, but the ones I saved from buying at the news stand are few; several 3D comics I bought in the fall of 1953.  I gave away or sold all the rest, and didn't get back into collecting until about 1973.