• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 California Comic Con - Post your Photos
2 2

124 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, HouseofComics.Com said:

Interesting to see David V. Reed listed on that Strange Adventures 2. He ended up being the main Batman writer of my childhood, mid to late 70s.

Was that a Julius Schwartz edited book? The cover really feels like a SF pulp with the way it features the writers.

5 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Wow, Brain, your acquisitions couldn't be more in line with my current leanings than these great books! Mucho congrats!! (thumbsu

It's Brian, not Brain...let's get it straight...:baiting:  Yeah, I figured you were on the same track the way you were buying DCs in sales threads.  You're probably the same person that keeps out bidding me on ebay too...lol

8 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

By the way this being the rare super rainy Saturday in California and the first weekend after Terry's show is anyone else planning on reading their pickups today! I plan on cracking out my Leading to read later this afternoon.

:roflmao:I bought 301 comics last year.  I'm still trying to read the one's I bought at Terry's a year ago...

22 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

It's Brian, not Brain...let's get it straight...:baiting:  Yeah, I figured you were on the same track the way you were buying DCs in sales threads.  You're probably the same person that keeps out bidding me on ebay too...lol

Yes, my mistake. :foryou:  Sure, I buy the occasional Lois Lane here, but it's very unlikely it's me outbidding you over at the Bay. I buy very few comics there - the last were Charlton drek that nobody else wanted. I bid on the occasional Marvel westerns I'm missing, but get sniped at the end. Mostly I buy really old magazines nobody wants that I'm truly unlikely to ever encounter at flea markets or antique shows (and I haven't bought a lot of those lately either it seems). (shrug)

31 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Yes, my mistake. :foryou:  Sure, I buy the occasional Lois Lane here, but it's very unlikely it's me outbidding you over at the Bay. I buy very few comics there - the last were Charlton drek that nobody else wanted. I bid on the occasional Marvel westerns I'm missing, but get sniped at the end. Mostly I buy really old magazines nobody wants that I'm truly unlikely to ever encounter at flea markets or antique shows (and I haven't bought a lot of those lately either it seems). (shrug)

Seems to me you bought some Actions and Supermans here too recently...:whistle:

14 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

:roflmao:I bought 301 comics last year.  I'm still trying to read the one's I bought at Terry's a year ago...

I only buy 10-20 a year and I'm having trouble keeping up with that. Of course, I also have piles of books to read; American history and comic strip reprints (that's a mix) that also keeps me busy when I get some free time. Oh and don't forget work which basically takes all my time!!

By the way, my favorite mix of history and comic strips occurred two summers ago. I had just read the George Herriman biography, KRAZY It features many stories of the early newspaper strip artists who in many ways were as popular as today's cable news and network commentators. One of the most famous of these guys was Jimmy Swinnerton whom I had never heard of before. You may actually know all about this because both he and Harriman were big desert aficionados. So to get to the point we were up at Hearst Castle to visit; this was the summer that the road was closed so the place was amazingly quiet. We went in and decided to take the tour of the library and upper rooms. On the tour the guide started mentioning guests who had been there and surprisingly said Swinnerton. When I asked for more information she said she knew no more just the name!

If you haven't read KRAZY I would recommend it; you would enjoy the descriptions of the early trips out to the deserts by George and his crew.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

13 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I only buy 10-20 a year and I'm having trouble keeping up with that. Of course, I also have piles of books to read; American history and comic strip reprints (that's a mix) that also keeps me busy when I get some free time. Oh and don't forget work which basically takes all my time!!

By the way, my favorite mix of history and comic strips occurred two summers ago. I had just read the George Harriman biography, KRAZY It features many stories of the early newspaper strip artists who in many ways were as popular as today's cable news and network commentators. One of the most famous of these guys was Jimmy Swinnerton whom I had never heard of before. You may actually know all about this because both he and Harriman were big desert aficionados. So to get to the point we were up at Hearst Castle to visit; this was the summer that the road was closed so the place was amazingly quiet. We went in and decided to take the tour of the library and upper rooms. On the tour the guide started mentioning guests who had been there and surprisingly said Swinnerton. When I asked for more information she said she knew no more just the name!

If you haven't read KRAZY I would recommend it; you would enjoy the descriptions of the early trips out to the deserts by George and his crew.

I guess I should clarify that the 301 was not all golden age...there were at least 70 cheap Mads from the 80s and 90s in the group, about 100 cheap Copper Batman and Detectives (50cents each), and some cheap silver age.  Most of the 94 GA books were cheap too.  I'm a bottom feeder...and I don't read every book I buy.  I gave up trying to read Fiction House books a long time ago.  I just like the covers...LOL

Did Harriman do Krazy Kat?  I know it was based on the crazy rocks at Sedona here in AZ.  I'll check out the book...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

16 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I guess I should clarify that the 301 was not all golden age...there were at least 70 cheap Mads from the 80s and 90s in the group, about 100 cheap Copper Batman and Detectives (50cents each), and some cheap silver age.  Most of the 94 GA books were cheap too.  I'm a bottom feeder...and I don't read every book I buy.  I gave up trying to read Fiction House books a long time ago.  I just like the covers...LOL

Did Harriman do Krazy Kat?  I know it was based on the crazy rocks at Sedona here in AZ.  I'll check out the book...

Heres the book, he spent a lot of time out there and you would probably recognize the landmarks and places he described much better than me.Capture.thumb.JPG.51395d2fa1e3a57481e222d0a1bc2dc0.JPG

And if you like MAD can you tell me who this is?

RogerKaputnik.jpg.138b11791a5092bc3c7993a3d409b97b.jpg

4 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Right on! When I first saw the picture I was amazed by how much he looked like his "The Lighter Side" Dad Roger Kaputnik, pipe and all!

I know, huh?  I noticed that in the 70s...

Collecting is strange sometimes.  I originally stopped collecting Mad after I got the first 150 issues, but a few years ago I decided to finish the run as long as I didn't have to pay more than $1 a copy...LOL  Now, I only need about 150 more to complete it...:p

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I know, huh?  I noticed that in the 70s...

Collecting is strange sometimes.  I originally stopped collecting Mad after I got the first 150 issues, but a few years ago I decided to finish the run as long as I didn't have to pay more than $1 a copy...LOL  Now, I only need about 150 more to complete it...:p

Luckily I am not that OCD and am happy with issues that I want and don't worry too much about completing runs. The only run I'd like to work on is Walt Disney Comics and Stories but I suspect I will never finish that one.

10 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Luckily I am not that OCD and am happy with issues that I want and don't worry too much about completing runs. The only run I'd like to work on is Walt Disney Comics and Stories but I suspect I will never finish that one.

I'm not really that OCD, but for a buck or less an issue I said "what the hell"...lol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48237384@N08/albums/72157656495032524

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

20 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

One of my great flea market scores was a pile of the Ballantine MAD paperbacks for probably a dime each. They are printed on lousy paper like MAD itself but they are fun to look at all the same.

tn_MadPBs1.jpg.50964dfa9146d047ad7f72c610664d1a.jpg

Love those. I bought the first editions when they were new. I remember seeing all the early comic book covers on Inside MAD and wondering if they were really MAD magazines. Once I picked up #9 I realized they were and the chase was on.

22 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

One of my great flea market scores was a pile of the Ballantine MAD paperbacks for probably a dime each. They are printed on lousy paper like MAD itself but they are fun to look at all the same.

tn_MadPBs1.jpg.50964dfa9146d047ad7f72c610664d1a.jpg

I can remember going to the book store in the very early 60's and picking them up.....amazing stuff