• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's ARMY OF THE DEAD directed by Zack Snyder (TBD)
1 1

199 posts in this topic

lol @ his comments about being "known for slow-motion". I think that his self-estimate of 1% is generously low. It's interesting that he admits 'not being that into' slow-motion, though. I think he uses it rather adequately, but I think that you need to be pretty 'into it' to use it that well that often.

On 5/17/2021 at 2:43 PM, Angel of Death said:

Have they had any other A-list Directors produce movies for them in the past? Genuine question.

In a more serious response.  I don't know if I would consider Zach Snyder an 'A' list direct.  When I think of "A" list there needs to be a certain level of achievement there like a Scorsese or a Spielberg. Now, do not get me wrong.  I do not think that Snyder is a bad director at all.  His body of work contains both movies that have been both celebrated and panned by respected critics and then by a movie 'fan' as myself.  (I liked 300, Man of Steel, Snyder Cut, ... but did not like SvB... you get the idea.)

So, I guess I would consider Snyder to be a B list director.  While he has a decent filmography I do not think he is at or has the same body of work as a Scorsese, Coppola, Nolan, or Spielberg.   

But as far as NOTABLE living directors who are working with or have worked with Netflix: 

• Alfonso Cuarón - Roma

• Steven Soderbergh - The Laundromat

• The Coen Brothers - The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs

• Guillermo del Toro - Pinocchio - In development 

• Michael Bay - 6 Underground

• Martin Scorsese - The Irishman

These immediately came to mind.  

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

In a more serious response.  I don't know if I would consider Zach Snyder an 'A' list direct.  When I think of "A" list there needs to be a certain level of achievement there like a Scorsese or a Spielberg. Now, do not get me wrong.  I do not think that Snyder is a bad director at all.  His body of work contains both movies that have been both celebrated and panned by respected critics and then by a movie 'fan' as myself.  (I liked 300, Man of Steel, Snyder Cut, ... but did not like SvB... you get the idea.)

So, I guess I would consider Snyder to be a B list director.  While he has a decent filmography I do not think he is at or has the same body of work as a Scorsese, Coppola, Nolan, or Spielberg.  

You could be right. B-list may be a more accurate designation for Snyder.

On 5/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, Buzzetta said:

But as far as NOTABLE living directors who are working with or have worked with Netflix: 

• Alfonso Cuarón - Roma

• Steven Soderbergh - The Laundromat

• The Coen Brothers - The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs

• Guillermo del Toro - Pinocchio - In development 

• Michael Bay - 6 Underground

• Martin Scorsese - The Irishman

These immediately came to mind.  

Michael Bay...?

42 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Michael Bay...?

Bay is “notable” as is Zach Snyder.  I would not classify Bay as an A list director by any means.  However, Bay is a brand name director in that he has recognition.  Snyder is definitely a better filmmaker than Michael Bay but when it comes to a summer popcorn movie Bay has that name recognition for his specific genre.  

I was a cheerleader for this for a long time. I’m disappointed. There was some greatness to be had but the ball was dropped. The story has issues. It was a big fun action movie with lots of potential but some big dumb moments pulled me out of it. Also the side quest of finding the mom was just bad filler. No character development and no reason to care about her. I also heard all this praise for the chopper pilot and I thought she was ok. Just fine. I was expecting more from the hype.  The heist aspect of the movie was also rushed. Didn’t feel like a heist movie. And the usage of the term zombie felt weird and overused as opposed to it never being said in Dawn of the Dead. That’s an unwritten rule. You can only say zombie in a comedy. Like Zombieland. 
Ok, good stuff: apocalyptic Vegas was awesome. Just incredible. Not quite at the level where it becomes a character like Tim Burton’s Gotham City though. I wish there were more exterior shots/scenes. Bautista showed he has potential. Hardwick did a great job as well. 
2004’s Dawn of the Dead was much better. But Army was a spectacle. I’ll still buy it. But man I wish the story was fleshed out better. 

I was also thinking, how awesome would this have been if James Gunn wrote the screenplay while Snyder directed? The Dawn of the Dead crew should have stayed together for Army. Missed opportunity.