• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicSupply Grading Contest Round 7

292 posts in this topic

Ok there's a miss-conception here, don't know if it's me or JC. My thoughts on the contest. Ya it's a triple elimination. But anybody still alive CAN still win the top tier prize.

Once the winners division has a winner he sits there waiting for the other divisions to complete. Then the Mega-losers div and Losers div fight off until there's only one left. then the winners div battles that player until there's only one left. but remember the winners div has to lose three times before he's eliminated. But in essence the mega-losers div still is in the running to defeat the winners div. If I'm wrong the bracket contest is being run wrong

Waaa, baby want grading stats!!!

2003%20July%2011%20Marcus%20Crying.jpg

Not me, I've got blue eyes... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wasn't planning on using stats as a basis for whining... I've got much more irrational material for that.

I'm glad I asked before doing any of the work, saves me a bit of time cloud9.gif and controversy yeahok.gif

Waaa, baby want grading stats!!!

2003%20July%2011%20Marcus%20Crying.jpg

Not me, I've got blue eyes... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wasn't planning on using stats as a basis for whining... I've got much more irrational material for that.

I'm glad I asked before doing any of the work, saves me a bit of time cloud9.gif and controversy yeahok.gif

It'll save JC from having to type several posts complaining about the use of the statistics.

So don't despair. You can still win the Losers Bracket and the Bracket Championship. screwy.gif

Nope, I took my shot and got beat. And like I said, if I won the entie contest from the Loser or Mega Loser brackets, I'd donate it to the real Winner.

Bad attitude I know, but competitive athletics breeds contempt for second place. confused-smiley-013.gif

So don't despair. You can still win the Losers Bracket and the Bracket Championship. screwy.gif

Nope, I took my shot and got beat. And like I said, if I won the entie contest from the Loser or Mega Loser brackets, I'd donate it to the real Winner.

Bad attitude I know, but competitive athletics breeds contempt for second place. confused-smiley-013.gif

screwy.gif

Ok there's a miss-conception here, don't know if it's me or JC. My thoughts on the contest.

Nope, according to the rules, ALL of the bracket winners are treated EQUALLY.

"Each bracket will have a prize and a champion of the bracket. After all 3 brackets are over with, those 3 winners will face off in the Bracket Champion contest."

OUCH!

Dr. Red ups the perscription to 10 times a day.

chillpill.jpg

screwy.gif

JC, do you realize that in some competitive sports, it is possible to lose in a tournament, and yet still win the championship?

When a team in the College World Series loses a game and has to come out of the losers bracket, but then ends up winning the national championship ... I highly doubt that they feel bad for the unbeaten team that they defeated to win it.

If the top 3 graders are so good, then theoretically, it should end up being the Top 3 graders in the "Bracket Championship." I'll use OF, DL, and Red for an example. IF Red beats out OF and DL, they move down, but DL beats OF in the Losers bracket to win it, then OF goes into the mega losers bracket and wins it, then its once again the top 3 from the winners bracket moving on. Course, tournaments don't always work out that way due to upsets, but that's how its designed to work. There is no flaw in that respect in CS's tournament design.

If there is a flaw in the rules it's the fact that a direct hit on the grade is given no more weight than a tie between two guys that were really off on the grade. Or a grade that is off but still closer than the opponents.

JC, do you realize that in some competitive sports, it is possible to lose in a tournament, and yet still win the championship?

I've never taken part in a single-competitor tournament that allowed this, but they probably exist. Tennis, etc. were all "you lose and you're done".

Hockey and baseball, yes, but those are team sports.

If the top 3 graders are so good, then theoretically, it should end up being the Top 3 graders in the "Bracket Championship."

How do you figure this?

If the Winners start tieing a lot (which could happen), and catch up the Loser and Mega Loser categories, the Winners could get eliminated before moving to the lower brackets.

Or in the very least, get eliminated in a Final before ANY of them can even hit Mega Losers.

Team or not, why does it make a difference? Teams still win and lose?

I'm just trying to compare apples to apples.... unless you're cheating and have a team of graders helping you. 893naughty-thumb.gif

If the top 3 graders are so good, then theoretically, it should end up being the Top 3 graders in the "Bracket Championship."

How do you figure this?

If the Winners start tieing a lot (which could happen), and catch up the Loser and Mega Loser categories, the Winners could get eliminated before moving to the lower brackets.

Or in the very least, get eliminated in a Final before ANY of them can even hit Mega Losers.

That's why I said "theoretically." But yes, upsets may occur preventing it. Did you read that post?

Team or not, why does it make a difference? Teams still win and lose?

I'm just trying to compare apples to apples.... unless you're cheating and have a team of graders helping you. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Riiiight. yeahok.gif

You are a weird dude.

That's why I said "theoretically." But yes, upsets may occur preventing it. Did you read that post?

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. I noticed that tiny disclaimer at the end, but 99% of your post related to this statement, including the "no flaw" part.

This contest is pure fun, but it has about as much chance at finding the "top grader" as tossing darts blindfolded. Just have fun.