• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicSupply Grading Contest Round 7

292 posts in this topic

SO I ask again, if you KNOW the correct grade, arent you safer going with it? How is it better strategy to be one or more grades off from the correct grade?

If you KNOW the grade, then you're cheating.

It all comes down to playing a hunch and risking it, vs. playing it safe.

How can you really risk it though? You either think you know what the grade is, or you have no idea. It's not like, in this contest, people are saying "Well, I think it's an 8.0, but I'm gonna risk it and say 9.0." That would just be stupid.

Just goes to show... nothing kills the fun of games better than keeping statistics. tongue.gif
Uh actually you're wrong Norinn. According to this formula I've whipped up, you mis-posted 17% in a 3 day period (taking into account our system clock and averaged out while being compared to the square root of how many people were surprised that we've switched their restaurant coffee with Folgers Crystals.

Now, Farmer Brown has 3 cows, Bessie, Essie, and Elsie. Farmer Brown wants to take them on a cruise. If Farmer Brown can milk 1 cow every half hour, and the cruise ship only docks at night.........

Just goes to show... nothing kills the fun of games better than keeping statistics. tongue.gif
Uh actually you're wrong Norinn. According to this formula I've whipped up, you mis-posted 17% in a 3 day period (taking into account our system clock and averaged out while being compared to the square root of how many people were surprised that we've switched their restaurant coffee with Folgers Crystals.

Now, Farmer Brown has 3 cows, Bessie, Essie, and Elsie. Farmer Brown wants to take them on a cruise. If Farmer Brown can milk 1 cow every half hour, and the cruise ship only docks at night.........

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

How can you really risk it though? You either think you know what the grade is, or you have no idea.

You must be better at this than I am, because I don't know absolutely 100% the grade of every book posted here. I don't believe anyone has a 100% record, so no one can claim that.

I usually fit it in a range, such as 9.4-9.6, like the recent Miracleman one. I was thinking 9.6 from CGC, but felt that with the damage on the book (some of which may have been SCS), 9.4 was the safer grade, and more likely for an opponent to guess (tie is as good as a win)

No right or wrong in that case, as I would never give that book a 9.6, but CGC did. I did peg Deathlok wrong, even though he was thinking 9.4-9.6 as well.

If you look at the contest results, it was pretty evenly distributed between 9.4 and 9.6, so a lot of people were picking between the two.

How can you really risk it though? You either think you know what the grade is, or you have no idea.

I usually fit it in a range, such as 9.4-9.6, like the recent Miracleman one. I was thinking 9.6 from CGC, but felt that with the damage on the book (some of which may have been SCS), 9.4 was the safer grade, and more likely for an opponent to guess (tie is as good as a win)

No right or wrong in that case, as I would never give that book a 9.6, but CGC did. I did peg Deathlok wrong, even though he was thinking 9.4-9.6 as well.

If you look at the contest results, it was pretty evenly distributed between 9.4 and 9.6, so a lot of people were picking between the two.

I was thinkin 9.6 or 9.8 myself.....more towards 9.6 though confused-smiley-013.gif

You must be better at this than I am, because I don't know absolutely 100% the grade of every book posted here. I don't believe anyone has a 100% record, so no one can claim that.

THat is true. But my guess is even those who picked 9.6 thought it was a risky decision. So if its risky choosing between 9.4 and 9.6 (either way), then you're not really risking anything. You'll just either be right or wrong.

That's my interpretation. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well that last book was better than a 9.4 & I never thought of givin it that. So the logical conclusion is would be to either say 9.6 & go with that,or being me I always question my grades so is it 9.8 I thought...well not good enough. 9.6 it is... acclaim.gif

Hey Joe....hope you did'nt undergrade this book cause it looks like a solid " . " to me! Was gonna give it a " . " but like I said above "not good enough"...Grading Class 101 yay.gif

Like I said, there is no right or wrong. It can even come down to when CGC graded it, as they have gone through different periods of grading strictness/easiness over the years.

CGC 9.2-9.8 Moderns are such a [embarrasing lack of self control]-shoot it's not even funny.

I could post several of my books and I guarantee few people would nail the grade.

news.gif Update

Still waiting on grades from a ton of players. Best to give your mind some rest, because the next book will seem somewhat familiar but still mind boggling.

Waiting on grades from

Now I'm pretty good at grading HG moderns or HG period. Now that Spider-Man 7.0 I really messed that up ...I gave it an 8.5 27_laughing.gif I'd personally like to see more lower grade books so I can really sharpen my skills,but seein everyone has mostly HG I doubt that will happen. If whoever out there has a decent amount of mid-grade books please host the next contest!!!!

news.gif Update

Still waiting on grades from a ton of players. Best to give your mind some rest, because the next book will seem somewhat familiar but still mind boggling.

I'm not fallin for another one of your Amazing Spidey books again! sumo.gif

Dang it. I thought this round was ending tonight and I was wondering why the grade hadn't been posted; but just read that we have another 22 hours. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

So I get to wait nearly another day before I find out that I'm out of the running.

Hey Russell~

Can the final grade be posted by 6PM Friday?

I don't want to be running back and forth from the TV to my computer.

Tomorrow is the big night on the Sci-Fi channel! 893applaud-thumb.gif